Thinking about ditching the mpc.....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 22, 2004
I've been contemplating more and more about ditching the mpc4000 for sequencing and switching to software sequencing. I'd still have the same sounds, all my boards etc..
I've been using Battery 2 loading up all my drums in there lately and its soo much easier, more visual I guess. Point and click as opposed to going thru menus on my tiny 4k screen.
I just don't really know how to hook all my shit up to start sequencing and I heard Pro Tools aint the best for sequencing but I'm no that familiar with Logic or Nuendo which were pretty good I heard. Harvey Mason (the Underdogs)
told me he uses Logic to sequence, and they got HITZ under they're belt, so it's gotta be decent.
Anyone switch they're whole setup from external to software?
I've got Fantom X6, Motif XS, Roland V-synth XT, Triton Rack, hooked through a digi002 but I've got some real good software, battery, korg legacy, FM7 etc..
Do I need one of those MIDI I/O joints?
Any pointers or people who've moved over , help would be appreciated.
I just don't wanna fuck my whole creativity process up. I'm so used to just gettin down on the 4k, but I feel like its a pain in the ass to create a great arrangement because of the way it lacks visually, I'm not that deep off into the MPC so I don't know all the arranging stuff, I'm more of a loop guy and edit in pro tools, but i feel itd be easier to just make drum patterns and move them here and there on my screen ... IDK ,
LEMME KNOW!

thanks

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Thats become the issue...when making music which primarily deals with sound Producers concerned with visuals.....blah blah blah..i can go on but....
Yeah truth is you might as well as use logic, I believe teddy riley uses logic as opposed to pro-tools.....Its probably the way to go being most stuff is becoming software based...I am 99% that Im gonna get a MIKO LX......I personally believe for bread and butter patches..strings, pianos etc software is just as good as the hardware...however I do believe having one analog ( true analog..not no virus or korgms2000..although these are nice)...just to give what can only be mimicked not duplicated, however the software counterparts arent punks. My suggestion is maybe get a demo version and make a few beats see how you like working that way. I realize that it saves time because it records the track as you sequence, but at what price do you want to be quicker..I would think having a mouse would be just as bad as using screens ..even more so.....damn I am super quick with my mpc..I had it painted candy red got wood sides..but no lettering....but I just learned and remembered and am quick...then again the mpc3000 isnt feature intensive..which ends up being a true value..it just gets the job done.

Apr 25, 2002
It's simple, if the switch improves your workflow and/or creativity then it's probably worth it. The quality of software (especially PC) can't be denied anymore and anyone not on the bandwagon is really missing out. Honestly, none of my MPC's have been turned on in a while. I don't see that changing and that's coming from a diehard MPC lover since the first one came out.

Mar 22, 2004
yeh, i just get more and more impressed with the new software that comes out.
I'm just not sure what I need to switch my setup. Someone told me a midi i/o, but I'm not sure what brand is good. I've seen the motu and the digi one.
I've never made a track this way, so It's all new to me...
If anyone's got any recommendations it's appreciated.

thanks.,.

Nov 30, 2002
im strictly software and it works out great for me... im more of a computer person than fuckin around with keyboards... its good to have a mix tho.... problem is, is that keyboards are some MAJOR cheese and when i buy one.. i dont want it to be a cheap $500... so for now its software and it works out coo for me.. eventually i want an even mix of hardware and software

Apr 26, 2006
I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the switch. I've taught myself a lot about music, because of the visual environment. Not to mention the ease and quickness of recording, arranging, editing and what not. It's just simple, all on the screen.

I used to fuck with my brothers MPC2000 some years back, but d@mn, I find software A LOT easier to use and it's probably because of the visual environement.

Mar 17, 2006
I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the switch. I've taught myself a lot about music, because of the visual environment. Not to mention the ease and quickness of recording, arranging, editing and what not. It's just simple, all on the screen.

I used to fuck with my brothers MPC2000 some years back, but d@mn, I find software A LOT easier to use and it's probably because of the visual environement.
He might end up missing the swing/groove of the MPC, which is hard to replicate on a PC. Also, something should be said for the sound of the MPC's outputs, whihc colors the sound in a nice way.

I would hold on to your mpc, you might find keeping it gives you the best of both worlds.

STRATEGY

Mar 22, 2004
He might end up missing the swing/groove of the MPC, which is hard to replicate on a PC. Also, something should be said for the sound of the MPC's outputs, whihc colors the sound in a nice way.

I would hold on to your mpc, you might find keeping it gives you the best of both worlds.

STRATEGY
yeh I've hear that I should probably keep it for that reason.
So I just need to see how to hook my stuff up so I can sequence in Logic I think.
Does anyone know if the 002 will work with logic pro?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
To me the biggest advantage of sequencing using software is the tracks get recorded as you sequence which can save you time, however in this scenario you would only be using vst's not hardware synths. One could argue that with a interface with multiple inputs you can use hardware synths and record at same time, however that being said with interfaces with multiple inputs a beat sequenced with mpc and hardware can be recorded after taking only 3-4 minutes depending on your song length..done all in one pass.
So question is are you in the need to be so efficient because you are making that many beats a day that it slows you down or do you just want to use up less space and simplify your production. I would think at bare minimum keeping the mpc and 1 keyboard like the fantomx would be highly reccomended, not only because ease of use this way being you are already efficient this way, or because as others have or will state covertors or swing or feel of sequencer. Either way if you ever have an issue with your computer then it stops your whole production....also for those like booboo who say one is easier then the other i find this not true and when speaking iof using equipment take advice from those that are well versed as opposed to those who say I messed with my friends etc( no disrespect boo boo)
In closing I am not opposing the software at all, I just believe that a plus for keeping at least a small hardware set-up is when ya either have a small idea you wann mess with real quick, or you just wanna mess around. By the time you even turn the computer on and windows loads up to its screen I can have everything turned on and a quick 4 bars of my drums hitting..And as i said before with no lettering on my Mpc i do all this blindly by memory of functions.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Also some can argue by running your sounds through a pre-amp of some sort before being recorded makes a difference, meaning some run VST's out the computer into a DI box then either a mixer with pre-amps or a channel strip then back in the computer, of course those that benfit the most will have an interface with good convertors.
Then on another not I know for a fact that some of yall favorite beats was ran from MPC and keys to a mackie mixer and straight to a hardware cd recorder..no effects and rappers rapped on em....like battlecat has done it...also That song RUN ON UP on the 213 album with Nate dog on the hook was done exactly that way. So In saying that It doent mena you need a Neve or an Ssl to make a great sounding instrumental..

Apr 26, 2006
To me the biggest advantage of sequencing using software is the tracks get recorded as you sequence which can save you time, however in this scenario you would only be using vst's not hardware synths. One could argue that with a interface with multiple inputs you can use hardware synths and record at same time, however that being said with interfaces with multiple inputs a beat sequenced with mpc and hardware can be recorded after taking only 3-4 minutes depending on your song length..done all in one pass.
So question is are you in the need to be so efficient because you are making that many beats a day that it slows you down or do you just want to use up less space and simplify your production. I would think at bare minimum keeping the mpc and 1 keyboard like the fantomx would be highly reccomended, not only because ease of use this way being you are already efficient this way, or because as others have or will state covertors or swing or feel of sequencer. Either way if you ever have an issue with your computer then it stops your whole production....also for those like booboo who say one is easier then the other i find this not true and when speaking iof using equipment take advice from those that are well versed as opposed to those who say I messed with my friends etc( no disrespect boo boo)
In closing I am not opposing the software at all, I just believe that a plus for keeping at least a small hardware set-up is when ya either have a small idea you wann mess with real quick, or you just wanna mess around. By the time you even turn the computer on and windows loads up to its screen I can have everything turned on and a quick 4 bars of my drums hitting..And as i said before with no lettering on my Mpc i do all this blindly by memory of functions.

I never said, software is easier than hardware. I'm speaking about myself, I PRESONALLY find it easier. You or others, might find hardware easier and there's nothing wrong with that because that's all a matter of personal preference.

Mar 22, 2004
I want to keep all my boards, I just want to sequence on the computer.
That's where I heard I need a midi I/O like a MOTU midi timepiece.
I had tried it back in the day with Pro Tools but it just was hard for me to get right. Then converting midi to audio to mixdown etc.. Time consuming.
I'll probably check out Logic and see how it goes, thanks for all the feedback.