Thinkin bout taking an Audio Engineering course, NEED HELP deciding

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 2, 2002
basically heres the deal. I've been into music since as far back as i can remember, its my passion. So I'm 18 and graduated high school this year. I was originally gonna go to a University transfer program in a local college for Business. I'm now thinkin hard about this and realized i dont wanna do some stupid shit like that for the rest of my life. I dont wanna be going to work 9-5 every day workin my ass off at a deskjob. People have always told me to do wat i love, so i realize that wat i love is MUSIC. I'm thinkin bout takin an Audio Engineering course of sorts (maybe i can get some sugestions here). I'd like to kno how this field works. I KNOW i could make some bangers if i knew how to work with the equipment well, cuz i got a very good ear for music. Basically I wanna know from people who are in this profession, taken courses of this sort, and i want to know what kinds of things u can do with it. So i kno i'll be able to produce beats for people/for myself, I'll be able to create my albums, I'll be able to open up a studio for rent. I kno i can this kind of stuff, is there anything else? Will i be able to support a family with this job, money is wat I'm kinda worried about, any help/information would be appreciated.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Conservatory of recording arts and sciences in Tempe, Az. I'm going there next year. Its one of the best in the country. its a 10 month course where you learn nothing but audio engineering and everything you need to know. You get pro tools certified and also learn Logic and I think digital performer as well. They got 4 studios 2 got old analog consoles others are protools set ups. the end of the school is a 2 month internship at your stuido of choice to help get you in the door. If you are really dedicated to it thats probably the best way to go.

Jun 2, 2002
I'm living in Vancouver, B.C. so AZ is out of the question most likely. I was thinkin about PAVI (Pacific Audio Visual Institute). I'm not sure about it yet tho, its 13.5k for the course and I'm wondering if its really worth the money, what will they teach me? What kind of certification will i have? and will this certification help me in any way?

I'm really interested in knowing wat type of jobs/how many there are in this field.

Jan 2, 2003
I'm headin up to Carson, next semester, to major in Audio Engineering @ Cal State Dominguez Hills. Its cheaper than most recording workshops, plus you get a degree
LA's got some nice recording programs too, high priced, but I heard it's worth it. They also have some nice internship opportunities, that ill help you get in the business

DaChroniclez: They got an audio engineering program up north called OIART (Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology) which is an 11 month program ..don't know how close that is to Vancouver but it 's worth checkin out

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
all the schools that speciaize in it cost pretty much the same, mine is 13,500 as well. It gives you the oppritunity to work with the best equipment and to get internships in some of the best studios out there. The internship is a mandatory part of my school and they help you hook it up. Any certification in a specialized field is worth bucks in the work force, You can get jobs as audio engineer, Video post production, road engineer, those guys who set up acustics for concert halls and shit lots of stuff. Like anything it takes hard work and persistance though. Personally right now I don't know nothing about audio engineering, i just make beats with reason but i'm pretty good at so i was like what the hell, lets take this up a knotch. If you are good and work in the right place audio engineers make a whole lot of money too