The Official Random Thought Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 14, 2002
I just watched See No Evil 2...

Loved the first one. Love the Soska sisters' Dead Hooker In A Trunk...

This movie? Oh boy did it suck ass. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a comedy/horror, or if the writing/directing was just so bad that it came off that way or what. What a fucking mess.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
This is a short film I created with some friends for the Springfield & the Ozarks 48-hour Film Competition. I would like for you guys to watch it.

To give you a brief rundown, we were to create a 5-minute short film from little other than an idea within a set 48-hour period. We began filming the short on April 10th, and finished up on April 12th. We produced the film with all of the following elements: producing, directing, writing, screenplay, acting, cinematography, lighting, location allocation, makeup, and costuming.

The event has particular parameters that must be used, such as the word "dix" (which is the pronunciation of the number 10 in French), among some film techniques, as well.

Nov 14, 2002
Which specific techniques were required? That's the most interesting part, IMO. Was editing involved in the 48 hours?

1. Was the Dutch angle one of the techniques required?
2. The chair gag was cool
3. That bald guy with the beard was unconvincing
4. I don't get it
5. Clever hiding/use of the "dix" thing...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2008
Which specific techniques were required? That's the most interesting part, IMO. Was editing involved in the 48 hours?

1. Was the Dutch angle one of the techniques required?
2. The chair gag was cool
3. That bald guy with the beard was unconvincing
4. I don't get it
5. Clever hiding/use of the "dix" thing...

Isn't that bald guy with the beard LDS???

I thought it was shot good and well for it being 2 days. I didn't really think the plot/whatever was great...but again two days I couldn't come up with better... But I mean that ending was like bad m night stuff

It was pretty good though even though idk what was really going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Watch it again. Haha

And yes, everything had to be done within 48 hours, including editing, sound and dialog editing, compressing, color correction, and rendering. I have a friend who is an editor in L.A., and we outsourced all editing to him. He's got a film in Redbox called Tree house that was completely edited by him. How good that actual film is notwithstanding, he's a real professional guy.

Myself and three of the crew got about 6 hours of sleep a piece during the weekend. I assembled a crew of 15, which was pretty large considering many only had groups of 5.

Zero knows that's me, that's why he said that.

The Dutch angle is part of the cinematography I chose for the short. I really draw influence from Twilight Zone, David Lynch, and Hitchcock often.

We had to use that DIX statue three times in vastly different ways, could use one weapon, but not harm the main character, and couldn't force any character to do something another character wanted them to do. The film also had to be based on an anniversary that wasn't things like marriages, birthdays, deaths, births, etc. It severely limited a lot of the other contestants, but we already had the general premise of our film structures around recurring nightmares.

Basically, three people are experiencing the same dream/nightmare. One is the victim, the other two are antagonists. The doctor may or may not be the reason why they're going through the sequences.

Thank you for watching the film, guys. That means a lot to me. I'm learning and growing as a filmmaker.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2008
Watch it again. Haha

And yes, everything had to be done within 48 hours, including editing, sound and dialog editing, compressing, color correction, and rendering. I have a friend who is an editor in L.A., and we outsourced all editing to him. He's got a film in Redbox called Tree house that was completely edited by him. How good that actual film is notwithstanding, he's a real professional guy.

Myself and three of the crew got about 6 hours of sleep a piece during the weekend. I assembled a crew of 15, which was pretty large considering many only had groups of 5.

Zero knows that's me, that's why he said that.

The Dutch angle is part of the cinematography I chose for the short. I really draw influence from Twilight Zone, David Lynch, and Hitchcock often.

We had to use that DIX statue three times in vastly different ways, could use one weapon, but not harm the main character, and couldn't force any character to do something another character wanted them to do. The film also had to be based on an anniversary that wasn't things like marriages, birthdays, deaths, births, etc. It severely limited a lot of the other contestants, but we already had the general premise of our film structures around recurring nightmares.

Basically, three people are experiencing the same dream/nightmare. One is the victim, the other two are antagonists. The doctor may or may not be the reason why they're going through the sequences.

Thank you for watching the film, guys. That means a lot to me. I'm learning and growing as a filmmaker.
Ok see with the backstory and everything Its a lot more clear. But I mean they severely limited what you could do so I understand why its the way it is.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
It's cohesive, I believe. I've asked a number of people what the film meant to them, and those who know who Hugo Strange is understand the doctor may be the catalyst, and those that don't get the DC reference have understood that in the film world, three people share a dream.

If you don't mind me asking, what about it don't you understand? And I ask that question with no confusion of my own. I want feedback and perspective from anybody willing to give it. It'll only make me a better filmmaker.

Nov 14, 2002
Ok so listening to this guy talk leaves a salty taste in your mouth.

He clearly prefers the dogs over the buns, which we all do. I bet it's because the buns were dry as fuck and he couldn't drink water in the shot.

Ha... Her fuckin name is Dixie. That's two. I've watched a few times and can't find the third.

Why is Joe so clear in his line "No. That's a pile of salt"? He's thinking super clear just like anyone else would, then all of a sudden he's like "Ok maam, I'll eat some salt".

I like the angles and the lighting.

So... These two people, who don't know each other, are having the same dreams, ABOUT each other, and Dr. Strange is privy to this information.

I still don't get it.

I laughed at the "Costume Designer" and "Wardrobe Master" credit.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
I'll tell you where the other mark is in regard to the "Dix", if you want. I'll leave it up to you to find, if you'd like.

And dude, I really appreciate you watching it more to draw from it all of the stuff we tried to manage with the story.

And Dr. Strange is only a theory I had once we wrote it, and I added a bit of ambivalence to the Dr. Strange portrayal in the hope someone would think he was more than he seemed.

On the surface, if you can understand that in this world, three people have had the same dream, then you've gotten it.

It can be as complex as you want it to be. I wanted that more from our script than anything else.

And thank you for the nods to lighting and cinematography. I saw the script in all those angles as it was assembled.

Joe's character couldn't be physically harmed or even have threats put on him, so I determined that if Joe was adamant in not taking the salt, and then firmly turns around and does it willingly, that effectually, he isn't being forced to eat salt. In the original script, before we got the inspiration packet, he was being force-fed hot dogs and salt as a nod to the fact that he had no control over the dream.

The addition of the stipulation that the main character couldn't be harmed made us have to change it to him being willing to go through with the tasks in the dream by way of having done it before, and having become tired of the whole process. So, basically, Joe had to work to give up fighting his dream captors.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
I gotta share this because I'm so fucking proud of my team. The SATO48(Springfield & the Ozarks 48-hour Film Challenge) had their awards ceremony tonight (yesterday evening). Think of it as a microcosmic Oscars. Out of 12 categories and 115 teams (eligible for awards - 132 teams turned in films), our film placed in the top 10 for art direction, and in the top 5 for cinematography.

Nov 14, 2002
And dude, I really appreciate you watching it more to draw from it all of the stuff we tried to manage with the story.
Anything you're doing, shit, send it my way. I'll talk film any time. To be honest, I'm jealous. Being involved in movies in just about any capacity has been something I've wanted to do since I was 13-14. Since then there's been a lot of studying, and watching, but never any doing.

And nah don't tell me the third, I'll find it eventually. Its got to be right in front of my face.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
Anything you're doing, shit, send it my way. I'll talk film any time. To be honest, I'm jealous. Being involved in movies in just about any capacity has been something I've wanted to do since I was 13-14. Since then there's been a lot of studying, and watching, but never any doing.

And nah don't tell me the third, I'll find it eventually. Its got to be right in front of my face.
Absolutely! You should get involved in filmmaking. You literally have to have zero (HA!) background in it if you find someone who needs a production assistant on a set. It's physical work, and you learn about all kinds of equipment and technical aspects of filmmaking. The crew I used for Captive Audience is a bunch of people I knew from my travels in film school, and we were all learning as we went, even on that film set.

Granted, we all know a lot about our respective jobs regarding that film, and the learning never stopped despite that. I urge you to get into it. If you've got that on your heart and film is something you've studied on your own for some time, you are the perfect candidate for becoming a filmmaker. And I'll be candid, you are exactly who I was just a couple of years ago. I understood a lot of the visualizations, storytelling arcs, and other things regarding movies, but I didn't know the lingo or how to go about creating my own films. Having great mentors in college has afforded me a great deal of opportunity, and there are ways of getting into the world without having prior knowledge.

Our editor, Justin, I've mentioned him before, literally picked up a camera 8 years ago and taught himself. Now, he's incredibly successful, without having gone through film school. There's no one right way to get into filmmaking.

Tell me which of the props you've got so far, and I'll tell you how obvious the ones are that you've yet to find.

And here, check this little teaser I shot for my friend Kong, who was sound engineer for Captive Audience. This is one of two that I shot for him and the group he's in. Basically, they'll shop both of the songs w/ video around all summer, and then finally they'll decide which to shoot as a full-length music video. The second one is still under construction. I'll link you to it once it's completed.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2002
Absolutely! You should get involved in filmmaking. You literally have to have zero (HA!) background in it if you find someone who needs a production assistant on a set. It's physical work, and you learn about all kinds of equipment and technical aspects of filmmaking. The crew I used for Captive Audience is a bunch of people I knew from my travels in film school, and we were all learning as we went, even on that film set.
I appreciate your enthusiasm. Ya know it's weird even my wife did PA shit (from home) on a local guys film (It was a fucking disaster, IMO) and I told the dude that I wouldn't work on that particular film, but I'd be more than happy to work on his "horror" film that he was going to do next... Well the first film is STILL in production and dude is never going to make any horror film, so I guess I missed out on that one.

I urge you to get into it. If you've got that on your heart and film is something you've studied on your own for some time, you are the perfect candidate for becoming a filmmaker.
Yeah Kevin Smith has been telling me that for years now.

Having great mentors in college has afforded me a great deal of opportunity, and there are ways of getting into the world without having prior knowledge.
College? I think I've heard of it once or twice.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
I'm cautious as to what I put my name on. My producer, Jeff, wants to shoot a web series over the summer, and the writer who penned it wants to direct it, as well. The only issue is he's never directed anything, and he has a bunch of ideas he's not willing to change to fit his current skill level.

Jeff's also new to the game, and thinks that adding multiple directors to each episode is going to help. It sounds like a train wreck, to me.

I've told my producer that the first and only thing I'll give the guy is an hour to determine if his head and heart are in the right place, and if the guy is even pliable enough to take criticisms and suggestions on how to streamline some of the particulars.

There are countless films "being made" by folks. So, when you do get into it, use your head and follow the person who's got passion and respect for the craft.

Nov 14, 2002
I saw the Impractical Jokers (Tenderloins) live show tonight, and it was 2 hours of straight up awesome. If you're a fan, definitely check them out when you get the chance.

===

I don't know if I've mentioned this before because I think I forgot to bring it up... But I got a msg from a dude named "RevoluT9nary" a bunch of months back asking "So what happened between you and Strange Music?"

Does anyone know anything about this guy? I ask because it's such an odd question to get from a "new" member, especially in a PM. I once had a guy (no idea who he was or what his agenda was) send me a msg on FB with a similar question. That wouldn't be SO weird if I didn't have a nearly impossible FB to find.

Last edited: