the Northwess: A Region United?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Sixxness said:
The material people would send in would more than likely be sub par. Most people don't know how to actually compose a good shot in video, let alone even know what the different names are for shots...
Sub par is better than Non-existant. Doing a show for 100 people is better than doing a show for 0 people. Selling 500 copies of an album is better than selling 0 copies. And so on.

You don't need to know how to name shots and all that other gay shit, to record a video of people rapping and freestyling in a K-Mart parking lot.

I wouldn't rely on someone else to send me shit for a DVD. If I did it, I'd make sure that I shot the footage to make sure that I knew for a fact it wasn't going to be some wobbley bullshit that some drunk motherfucker in the studio filmed. That and not enough people would send in material.
With your criticism and impossible standards, of course they wouldn't send in footage. That is why it must be made PERFECTLY CLEAR that while SUB-PAR footage will be accepted, FOR NOW, it will be expected that over time everyone step up their game and purchase updated equipment.

Right now, Hi8 Cameras are cheap as shit. THEY SUFFICE. MiniDV cameras are, of course, PREFERRED. And if a label feels froggy they can go get a HDV camera and blow us all away.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I've learned to not depend on other people who say they will do their work. Ask other people in here, I'm sure they feel the same way.

People, in general, are not reliable. And if I was going to do something it wouldn't be half assed. You (not literally) don't want some bullshit DVD coming out that sucks to represent "the best" your region has.

Apr 6, 2006
First off, Id like to apologize to Shoez, you been on your toes, maybe it wasnt the time. Maybe you werent the dude to carry the message. Iont know, but for whatever reason, mufuckas is providing feedback and having meetings of the minds. Regardless of the threadstarter, its the contributors that make shit what it is.

I was reading thru your idea and you got some shit in there. But I think ONE camera is a fuckin start. It'sa baby project, brotha, it'll get some growth when people start pickin it up.

You cant force-feed big meat to a newborn, yuhdig? And right now, its the REBIRTH of the NORTHWESS. We gotta work from ground up. Once there's a solid project, Northwess distribution can be sought out. Hell, after the first volumes quarterlies, you'd know what youve got on your hands. Where to place advertisement and since the Northwess is beginning anew, muthafuckas is gonna be wantin to partake in baby-Lebron or Shaq's growth.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
That's because nobody likes reading Tadou's long winded rhetoric...especially when 90% of the time he doesn't know what the fuck he's talkin' about. And then veterans like myself try to set him straight and he still doesn't listen. He's a lost cause...thus nobody pays attention to him.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Dirty Shoez said:
Sub par is better than Non-existant. Doing a show for 100 people is better than doing a show for 0 people. Selling 500 copies of an album is better than selling 0 copies. And so on.
Jesus Christ. Am I actually reading this fuckin' bullshit?

Yeah...doin' a show for 100 people and having them walk away goin' "DAMN THAT WAS SOME WACK SHIT" is a fuckin' nail in your coffin. Selling 500 copies of a wack album will surely not get you those same 500 sales next time. You're not seeing the big picture here numbnutz. First impressions are EVERYTHING!!!! Didn't your mama ever teach you that?

Sub-par is not a good thing...never has been and never will be. I don't care how you cut it. To sit here and basically say "something is better than nothing even if it is wack" is the reason why the NW is in the situation we're in.

People need to stop tellin' people that their shit is hot when it's not and maybe even tell them that they need to stop. Now if you want to act like an emotional little girl when I tell you your shit's wack...then you need to get into another business. Because if you can't handle rejection and criticism on the street level...then you're surely not gonna be able to handle it if and when you EVER reach the corporate level.

Sub-par might as well be non-existant...because they both = NOTHING.:ermm:

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I'm glad I'm not the only one that understands shitty product means shitty repsonse. That should be fucking common sense. Tadou, where did you come up with that shit? I'd seriously like to know why you think something is better than nothing.

Apr 25, 2002
On the topic of the whole is the NW United question, wouldn't it be cool if the heavy hitters from all the NW cities all got on a track together w/ the theme being something about the Northwest?

The only track that comes to mind is "NW Ridin" that had D.O.G., E-Dawg & Cool Nutz on there. It was real cool b/c they were showin love to Tacoma, Portland & Seattle on the same track. It is a little outdated though, all those guys could do better today.

I'm not even going to get into names (as to who should represent each city) b/c that is dumb, everybody will have their own ideas, perfectly honest I don't give a fuck who it is as long as they're doing a good job. But say you got a guy from Seattle, guy from Portland, guy from Tacoma, laying down a track about our region, rapping about what makes our region distinctive from the others who are already established. You could even throw in Anchorage or a Vancouver guy (or Eastern WA/Idaho), quite frankly it doesn't matter, as long as they're doing a good job.

Something for all of us to bump and feel good about, that would be cool, I hope I see it happen one day.

Edit: Speaking of which, my new sig tries to capture this idea.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Mr. D-Sane said:
That's because nobody likes reading Tadou's long winded rhetoric...especially when 90% of the time he doesn't know what the fuck he's talkin' about. And then veterans like myself try to set him straight and he still doesn't listen. He's a lost cause...thus nobody pays attention to him.
Friend, I came up with more NorthWestRap.com ideas back in 2004 than you've written for your site to date. `Tray Panel Logo'.....I think that was around the beginning of 2005. I am really not kidding you here either.

Have you come up with the idea to release exclusive, 1000-only EP's yet? Thats a cool one to think about. Sorry if i spoiled it for you.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Mr. D-Sane said:
Jesus Christ. Am I actually reading this fuckin' bullshit?

Yeah...doin' a show for 100 people and having them walk away goin' "DAMN THAT WAS SOME WACK SHIT" is a fuckin' nail in your coffin. Selling 500 copies of a wack album will surely not get you those same 500 sales next time. You're not seeing the big picture here numbnutz. First impressions are EVERYTHING!!!! Didn't your mama ever teach you that?

Sub-par is not a good thing...never has been and never will be. I don't care how you cut it. To sit here and basically say "something is better than nothing even if it is wack" is the reason why the NW is in the situation we're in.

People need to stop tellin' people that their shit is hot when it's not and maybe even tell them that they need to stop. Now if you want to act like an emotional little girl when I tell you your shit's wack...then you need to get into another business. Because if you can't handle rejection and criticism on the street level...then you're surely not gonna be able to handle it if and when you EVER reach the corporate level.

Sub-par might as well be non-existant...because they both = NOTHING.:ermm:
Sounds like two sides of an argument that you want no part of, because you always lose. Every single time we set up these arguments, you start your flaming and insulting and walk away.

Are you willing to stick around this time, and be shown how your idea is most compatible with MAJOR LABELS, and how mine is INFINITELY more compatible with INDEPENDENT ONES? Do you have the guts?

And......Sixxness? Kalyn? Do you all have the guts as well, or are you just going to sit there and co-sign other people?

Friends..........

This whole thread is taking a horrible turn. We are now going from independent thought, to Music Business Rhetoric. For those of you who don't know what I mean by rhetoric, I basically mean BULLSHIT.....GIBBRISH.....SHIT people memorize to make themselves FEEL SMART, rather than actually BEING CREATIVE.

It would be EXCELLENT if we could all get 1000 people to show up for our first show, and have them yelling out "GOT DAMN!! BEST SHOW EVER!!".....Life DOES NOT happen this way. What you GET is that your first performance, there will be a hundred people there IF YOU'RE LUCKY......and if you're even MORE lucky, 30 or so if them will actually be paying attention!

Now.....you COULD schedule your show 6 months out, and spend 6 straight months planning, and signing 10 acts, and signing Cool Nutz, and Skuntdunanna, and paying $10,000 dollars for everything......and MAYBE...just MAYBE, 1000 people would show up to your first show, and it would be the greatest thing to ever happen. ......But is it really worth all that, just for a CHANCE? 6 months and $10,000? For lottery-ticket odds that your FIRST SHOW is going to pull in as many people as some of these TEN AND FIFTEEN YEAR VETERANS have trouble bringing in to some of their shows?

Simple.....NO. It is NOT.

DO the show for 100 people. WORK YOUR ASS OFF. TALK to the people when you're done. GET the website. UPDATE the website. PUT OUT the new songs. SCHEDULE the next show, and SEE WHAT HAPPENS. As long as MORE PEOPLE are showing up, then you SHOULD NOT WORRY.

"First Impressions" work in TWO INSTANCES:

1) Meeting (INDIVIDUAL) PEOPLE for the first time.
2) Being introduced to HUGE CROWDS for the first time.

Independent rap...I'm sorry to break it to you all...applies to NEITHER. Independent rappers and labels DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES.

This doesn't even INCLUDE the fact that the importance of "First Impressions" is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to the amount of things/people that are being introduced. -- If you meet 10 people a day, First Impressions mean DICK. If you meet 1 person a MONTH.....they mean EVERYTIHNG! (And I DARE someone to argue this logic.)

Back to the DVDs......using all of this above.....

There DOES NOT EXIST a NorthWest DVD series right now. The people HAVE NOT BEEN TAINTED by crappy NW DVDs. The people HAVE NOT COME TO EXPECT that NW DVDs will be mostly crap.

SO......WHAT should happen? Simple. The exact shit I outlined above. Then what happens? Even simpler. STEP YOUR GAME UP.

BUY the $200 camera for now. Once you realize how much of an asset it is to you and your label---even if you don't want your footage on DVD, you'll still have it to analyze and look at and STUDY where you need to improve--then you WILL get to the point where you sell the $200 camera, and buy a $400 one instead.

Whats the alternative? A B2? Some random ass Rode condenser? The Hyper-Cardioid of your dreams? That-one-mic that "all the top studios" have? SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH ALL OF THAT.

You hear people bitch and moan and whine and complain and cry and run their fucking mouth ALL DAY LONG about how the region (and the game) is flooded with SHITTY RAPPERS.

Well.....what better way to EXPOSE these rappers than to put them on film? You will SEE how these rappers dress and the cars they ride in.....these same rappers that claim to be fucking 10 hoes and smoking 5 blunts every day. (I get the feeling i've said this all before....maybe its because I have!) You will SEE them for the FRAUDS they are.

On the other hand.....you will SEE the emotion on Neema's face when he is in the studio rapping his heart out. You will SEE the RAW TALENT that is Young Slim when he is freestyling in a cypher. You will BEAR WITNESS to the calm, cool and professional demeanor that is Cool Nutz when he is interacting with his fans. All of this and more can be happen if you're even still reading this. Hi mom.

Now......let the back-peddling, and "Tadou, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about!"-ing, and the excuse-making, and the "I don't have time to argue with you"-ing, and the "thats too much for me to read!"-ing commence.

Business as usual.

NOX

Sicc OG
Nov 26, 2004
Dirty Shoez said:
What you GET is that your first performance, there will be a hundred people there IF YOU'RE LUCKY......and if you're even MORE lucky, 30 or so if them will actually be paying attention!
I had over 600 at my first show I ever did :cool:

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I'm not leavin....But I do believe that if you put something out it should be worth the time and effort you put in. If something has MY NAME on it, it WILL be GOOD, or it won't come out until I think it's damn near fucking perfect. That's how I am. Don't like it? Then go use your 8mm camera and edit on fucking adobe premiere and put out some garbage ass DVD....Then maybe our region will get some credit! :confused: I'm not going to even discuss this. That's how I feel. I've said it before and I'm not tryin to say it again.

And who the fuck am I gonna co-sign in this thread? Only person I can think of is Snicc :)

Apr 6, 2006
xpanther206 said:
On the topic of the whole is the NW United question, wouldn't it be cool if the heavy hitters from all the NW cities all got on a track together w/ the theme being something about the Northwest?

I'm not even going to get into names (as to who should represent each city) b/c that is dumb, everybody will have their own ideas, perfectly honest I don't give a fuck who it is as long as they're doing a good job. But say you got a guy from Seattle, guy from Portland, guy from Tacoma, laying down a track about our region, rapping about what makes our region distinctive from the others who are already established. You could even throw in Anchorage or a Vancouver guy (or Eastern WA/Idaho), quite frankly it doesn't matter, as long as they're doing a good job.

Something for all of us to bump and feel good about, that would be cool, I hope I see it happen one day.
I like that. Thats what Ive been attempting. Got a lot of wheels in motion, but if the e-brake is on, we aint goin no where.

Apr 6, 2006
Sub-par is a BEGINNING. Editting is a mutha fucka. Adobe takes out the shakes and fixes the lighting. Sound? No problem. You gotta start somewhere or else you're gonna work yourself up to do it big only to have that big shit be too heavy to put on the shelves, THEN you've truly wasted your time and efforts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Sub-par is the reason our region is still in the same situation. If this region puts out anything less than "pretty fucking good" people won't notice or care. It doesn't have to be flashy, but it does need to be quality. Either that, or you guys can do one and then I'll do one or some shit, if it ever works out...I'm not tryin to stay in the NW after I graduate. Too many people who say they want to work and be productive but don't do shit. I can't fuck with people like that.

Apr 10, 2006
ayo, i like the dvd idea. that's exactly what'll get attention to the northwest. what needs to happen is that we need to get someone to be tapin the Northwest Urban Lifestyle Conference in Seattle on June 3rd. there should be some real good footage from that. We need to show people that we are serious about this music shit and by showin the general public the conference and the studio sessions and the shows. it'll show people our grind. Also the linkin up with other artists as well. There are artists that have done tracks with people from the NW. for example. I believe that the Playa Jay Tee from Vallejo has done a couple of tracks with Cool Nutz and they had that Northwest compilation cd a while back.
We need to get more organized and get serious about this dvd idea. cuz i think this shit will be something real hot. We could also do something like the Yahoo shit they do on the net. a Northwest: Pass the Mic shit and put that on the DVD as well. We also have to go out of state to get recognition for our state. I know this is common knowledge but it can't be stressed enough. We have good talent here in the North Dub, fuck, we have alot of good talent but we to take it outside of our region to blow shit up.
I don't know man but that's my take on this whole situation. and i'm willin to help out anyway i can with any of these projects. i'm from the eastside of da WA, 509 and it looks like we also need to get more unified and get some of the rappers from here to get more unified and let there shit be heard cuz we also seem to not get as much recognition as all the tacoma and seattle rappers.

www.soundclick.com/elevation420
REPPIN DAT SMOKEY EVERGREEN....