The Merriman Rule

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
This is what I was saying should happen...too bad it's too late.

Sources: Positive 'roids test to result in Pro Bowl ban

Players who fail the NFL's substance abuse policy next season likely will be banned from playing in the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen that commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw have agreed to ban any player who tests positive for performance-enhancing drugs from playing in the Pro Bowl that same season. The policy would take effect beginning with the 2007 regular season.

Upshaw met Monday in Miami with player reps, who supported the ban, union and league sources told Mortensen. One more discussion is planned at the winter scouting combine in late February, with a formal announcement no later than March, Mortensen reported.

A ban also would have financial implications for some players, because some have Pro Bowl bonuses and base-pay escalators tied to the Pro Bowl that would be negatively affected.

The news comes in the week leading up to San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman's appearance for the AFC in Saturday's Pro Bowl in Honolulu. Merriman was named to the AFC roster despite serving a four-game midseason suspension for steroids use.

Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, the NFL's reigning defensive player of the year, said in December that players who fail drug tests shouldn't be allowed to reap any postseason awards.

"You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said then. "To make the Pro Bowl and all the other awards, I think you're walking a fine line of sending the wrong message.

"A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is," Taylor said. "You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right. It's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."

Merriman has denied he's a steroid cheat and blamed his positive test on a tainted supplement.

Merriman, the 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowl starter, knows some people will remain skeptical.

"You have to understand that the kind of person I've been and the kind of person I am, there should be no question in nobody's mind -- even though there will be -- about my ability on the football field," Merriman said. "This is God-given talent and that's what I've been showing since I've gotten on a football field. I think over time everybody will see that and know that."

Aug 9, 2006
even though i respect him as a player i dont really like merriman as a person.....like when he was on ESPN a couple times and people were asking about what he thought about other players saying that he should be banned hes like "ill send him a lights out hat and shirt" i mean what kind of shit is that? merriman is a BEAST but just a prick....you got caught juicin......live with it and shut the fuck up

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Yeah and then cry about the Patriots celebrating on their field doing the lights out dance... hypocrites if you ask me....

Aug 9, 2006
merriman wasnt cryin as much as LT was.....and then he had the nerve to go on TV and call the patriots coach classless....you dont go on TV and start talkin about a teams coach like that......you talk shit about your own coach and organaztion before you talk about someone elses coach......LT lost a lot in that and i know there is SD fans in here but you cant back him up.....whether or not what the PATS were doing you dont act like you did.....even D SANDERS (one of LTS biggest fans probally) gave him a tounge lashing for it...i know he was just crying about the lost but he has to get over it.....

May 2, 2002
MooreBlock530 said:
merriman wasnt cryin as much as LT was.....and then he had the nerve to go on TV and call the patriots coach classless....you dont go on TV and start talkin about a teams coach like that......you talk shit about your own coach and organaztion before you talk about someone elses coach......LT lost a lot in that and i know there is SD fans in here but you cant back him up.....whether or not what the PATS were doing you dont act like you did.....even D SANDERS (one of LTS biggest fans probally) gave him a tounge lashing for it...i know he was just crying about the lost but he has to get over it.....
I like what LT did.

But besides that...who cares what Sanders had to say? He was one of the biggest showboaters of all time. His ego was/is unreal.

Of course he would stand up for the kind of behavior.

Aug 9, 2006
im not sayin speakin out against it is wrong......im sayin the way he did it was......he looked liek a lil bitch.....and dont get me wrong the PATS are the unclassiest/dirtiest players in the game as a whole.....but the way LT did it was very wrong.....EXSPEICALLY going after there coach.....you just cant do that....if you dont see whats wrong in that i just cant help you....you just dont talk shit about other teams coaches......

which brings me to a point that tom brady said about the titans "sometimes i felt like we played down to our opponets" or something like that......if yall seen that game it was bullshit cuz pats know how to do just enough to provoke the other team to gettin that 15 yard penalty but not getting one there sleves......again i hate the pats but what LT did was wrong

May 2, 2002
MooreBlock530 said:
im not sayin speakin out against it is wrong......im sayin the way he did it was......he looked liek a lil bitch.....and dont get me wrong the PATS are the unclassiest/dirtiest players in the game as a whole.....but the way LT did it was very wrong.....EXSPEICALLY going after there coach.....you just cant do that....if you dont see whats wrong in that i just cant help you....you just dont talk shit about other teams coaches......
So you can talk shit about your own team, but not another team? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

To some he looked bad...to others...he was standing up for his team. To me...I just liked the fact that he showed some fire.

There is no rule that says you can't talk about a coach from another team.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I'm glad it happened (LT) because he's used as a big ass example of class on the field in terms of celebrations. I'm one of the people who think there is no such thing as excessive celebration (if the entire team breaks out into a choreographed musical number after a TD I'd still think its entertaining) and LT is always brought up as being so classy because he gets td after td and just hands the ball to the ref without real celebration. everyone chalks this up as emotions getting the best of him, but sometimes these are emotions getting the best of players causing them to celebrate a touchdown by doing something big or funny or anything else....hows THAT for going off topic?

lol, anyways this is a good rule, but I'm sure someone's gonna smoke a blunt, test positive for drugs and end up being a pro bowl snub (coughcoughmikevickcoughcough)

ArYo

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2002
Defy said:
I'm glad it happened (LT) because he's used as a big ass example of class on the field in terms of celebrations. I'm one of the people who think there is no such thing as excessive celebration (if the entire team breaks out into a choreographed musical number after a TD I'd still think its entertaining) and LT is always brought up as being so classy because he gets td after td and just hands the ball to the ref without real celebration. everyone chalks this up as emotions getting the best of him, but sometimes these are emotions getting the best of players causing them to celebrate a touchdown by doing something big or funny or anything else....hows THAT for going off topic?

lol, anyways this is a good rule, but I'm sure someone's gonna smoke a blunt, test positive for drugs and end up being a pro bowl snub (coughcoughmikevickcoughcough)
The rule only applies to illegal performance enhancing drugs. So they could still blow a bleezy and get suspended 4 games, and be good after that. Then again trees do help your muscles with the recovery process, haha. Good thing they didn't waste any time makin this rule either. Cuze I just thought it was ridiculous how much of a free pass Merriman got to begin with. Then he was startin in the Pro Bowl, made the All-Pro team, and came very close to Defensive Player of the Year(which I thought he was gonna end up gettin too, J.Taylor deserved it though). The only reason I got such a strong opinion on the matter cuze you know I'm a Bonds fan. This man has been gettin crucified for takin steroids, and hasn't even been caught red-handed. I'd be a foo to not admit he most likely took roids, but the way he's been gettin black balled is no bueno. I guess it just goes to show the media could be your best friend or worst enemy. Merriman and Bonds got in similar trouble, and Merriman was actually caught. No one even talks about Merriman's mistake anymore, and shit they been talkin bout Bonds' problems for the past 4-5 years non stop, all day every day.

ArYo

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2002
gimpypimp said:
So you can talk shit about your own team, but not another team? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

To some he looked bad...to others...he was standing up for his team. To me...I just liked the fact that he showed some fire.

There is no rule that says you can't talk about a coach from another team.
I think the point the homeboy was tryin to make about the situation with LT talkin shit. Was its kinda like talkin shit bout yo momma. Now in no way shape or form should you ever talk bad about yo mom.....but if you are gonna be runnin yo mouth it better be about your own mom and not anyone elses. Cuze you don't got that right. I'm not sayin I agree or disagree with that point, but I just thought I'd throw in an example cuze I understood what the homie was tryin to say. In my opinion I was really suprised when I heard LT runnin his mouth. Cuze we all know he never says nothin, then he just snapped. I think his emotions just got the best of him. He broke the TD record this season, they were 14-2, #1 seed, homefield advantage. Everyone and their momma was predicting them to at least go to the Superbowl. Everything seemed set up for them and then bam, they lost outta no where. So I think LT was just frustrated, and like everyone else in this world, said some shit he probably shouldn't have outta anger. Coulda been worse though, so ya know wooooooooo.

Sicc OG
May 11, 2006
it doenst matter anyways. most of the players elected to the pro bowl dont even want to play anyways. they come up with the same ole reason ... hurt. so it shouldnt even be played. only players to go are the ones that havent been therre yet. i dont know ... my opinion ...

May 2, 2002
I think some players care about playing in the Pro Bowl...but not because of the recognition.

I'm sure they have shit in their contract that says they get an extra amount of money for making it.

And maybe more money for being the MVP or something.

ESCOBAR 92113

BARRIO LOGAN
Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
MooreBlock530 said:
you just dont talk shit about other teams coaches......
did you say the same thing after brady talked shit about schottenhiemer last season?
I have no problem with what LT did, he was defending his house,his teammates...that shows commitment.

As far as the "merriman rule" i think its a good thing, i said i would support it and i am. I dont know if the players association will try to step in on this but i do think its good for the game

ESCOBAR 92113

BARRIO LOGAN
Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
MooreBlock530 said:
even though i respect him as a player i dont really like merriman as a person.....like when he was on ESPN a couple times and people were asking about what he thought about other players saying that he should be banned hes like "ill send him a lights out hat and shirt" i mean what kind of shit is that? merriman is a BEAST but just a prick....you got caught juicin......live with it and shut the fuck up
its actually the other way around, merriman is cocky and confident when it comes to football, on the field he comes off as arrogant, he has even come out and said he is better than junior seau, that kind of pissed people off here in san diego....however off the field he is really laid back, down to chill with whoever and does alot around the community.