The Informant!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall

The Informant! is about Ivy League Ph.D. Mark Whitacre (Damon), a rising star at Decatur, Illinois based Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) in the early 1990s who wound up blowing the whistle on the company’s price-fixing tactics. [3][4] Matt Damon portrays the bipolar whistleblower in the film as Whitacre displays bizarre behavior including recklessness and grandiosity.

One night in early November 1992, the high-ranking ADM executive confessed to FBI agent Brian Shepard (Bakula) that ADM executives — including Whitacre himself — had routinely met with competitors to fix the price of lysine, a food additive. As the highest-ranked executive to ever turn whistleblower in US history, Whitacre secretly gathered hundreds of hours of video and audio over several years to present to the FBI. [3][5][6] He assisted in gathering evidence by clandestinely taping the company’s activity in business meetings at various locations around the globe such as Tokyo, Paris, Mexico City, and Hong Kong.

In the upcoming film — a dark comedy/thriller in director Steven Soderbergh’s hands — Whitacre’s good deed dovetails with his own major infractions and struggle with bipolar disorder. [3][7] The film focuses on Whitacre's meltdown resulting from the pressures of wearing a wire for three years. In a stunning turn of events immediately following the covert portion of the case, headlines around the world reported that the whistleblower defrauded $9 million from his own company at the same period of time he was secretly working for the FBI and taping his co-workers.[3] Because of this major infraction and Whitacre’s bizarre behavior, he was sentenced to a prison term three times longer than the white-collar criminals he helped to nab.[3] However, ten years later (2008), the former FBI supervisor of the price fixing case, Dean Paisley (played by Allan Havey), with backing from the two other FBI agents and a former prosecutor, went public with praise about Whitacre. "Had it not been for the fraud conviction, he would be a national hero", Paisley stated. "Well, he is a national hero", he further stated
I'm not really a Soderbergh fan but this looks kind of interesting to me for one reason or another.

Aug 17, 2004
For some reason I have a really hard time liking any movie starring Matt Damon. The only one was probably the departed but he got smoked in the end which made up for him starring in it.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Watched this before work today and I thought it was great. Matt Damon's character is a total idiot and he plays it well. It's not really a straight up comedy but it does have some very funny parts (most which aren't in the trailer) and is well acted by everyone.

I'd check this out either if you pay for it at the theatres or download it.

Jun 24, 2005
For some reason I have a really hard time liking any movie starring Matt Damon. The only one was probably the departed but he got smoked in the end which made up for him starring in it.
You didn't like any of the Bourne movies?

I thought those were all dope as hell.

Jun 24, 2005
Watched this before work today and I thought it was great. Matt Damon's character is a total idiot and he plays it well. It's not really a straight up comedy but it does have some very funny parts (most which aren't in the trailer) and is well acted by everyone.

I'd check this out either if you pay for it at the theatres or download it.
Co-sign.

Saw it tonight and it was pretty funny. You're spot on sayin' Damon's character is an idiot. He's always puttin' his foot in his mouth and diggin' himself a deeper hole. Gettin' this on DVD when it comes out.