The end of The Shining *Obvious Spoiler*

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I'm sure this has been talked about to some extent on here, but what's your take on the end to The Shining?

Jack Nicholson in the picture specifically is what I'm talking about. I've seen some good explanations on the web but not sure which one I buy in to.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
That's what I thought as well, but I've heard others that say that he sold his soul to the devil in the scene where he gets a drink at the bar. Also, who opens the door when he's in the freezer? I never understood that.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
I read that before, and not sure I believe that one either.

There was a really elaborate one from another film forum that I can't find now that made the most sense but I don't remember all of the details now. It was something along the lines of Jack actually being Satan throughout the entire movie or something along those lines and it explained pretty much every sticking point of the movie.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
decent point I just read

Throughout the film, The Overlook Hotel displays many Indian artifacts as well as being stated as being built over ancient indian burial ground. The significance of this, is that the film (from what I read)
is more or less about the murder of a race, and the consequences of that act.
Jack Torrence (Jack Nicholson) is actually the representation of the white race and during the film, you realize how careless his character truly is. I.E. Having trouble holding a Job, his drinking problem, never finishing his book, to name a few. This, from what I read, was meant to address the fact that Jack never really cared about the consequences of his actions and in a way, the white race.

Now at the end, where lunatic Jack is chaseing his son thru the maze, you will notice that Danny retraces his steps to fool Jack. This is said to be an old indian trick. Any coincidence?

And as for the picture itself, if you notice closely it reads, "Overlook Hotel July 4th Ball, 1921" I believe.
Well July 4th is known as an American holiday and naturally, Jack Torrence, being the "ideal" white american of the film, would rightfully so be right in the thick of things. The previous post about Native Indians hateing having their pictures taken because they believed the picture would claim a portion of their soul, is even more reason to suspect that the closing shot of "The Shining" holds even more substance than simply the idea of Jack being 'swallowed' by the Overlook Hotel.

Props: Mixerr

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
There was actually a really good one I read that was really in depth on some random forum that had something to do with him being the devil in the movie. Not that it was a movie to convert Satanic worship or anything but just that it explained the evil in Jack.