The Blues

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Who here listens to the blues? It's hard to find "young people" (I hate that term) who bump the blues. Some of the best guitar players are blues guitarists. What are some artists and/or albums ya'll like?

Feb 19, 2003
Oh God, so many folks I could name, but if I had to break it down, I probably feel these artists the most...

Albert Collins (all his Alligator stuff)
Son Seals (his first several Alligators)
Hound Dog Taylor (everything)
Koko Taylor (I GOT WHAT IT TAKES is the shit)
Little Walter (Chess Best-Ofs)
Sonny Boy Williamson (KING BISCUIT TIME kicks ass)
Lonnie Brooks (BAYOU LIGHTNING, TURN ON THE NIGHT, HOT SPOT)
Mississippi Fred McDowell (Arhoolie stuff)
Katie Webster (her Alligator CDs)
Big Bill Broonzy
Blind Willie McTell (Yazoo comps)
Magic Sam (BLACK MAGIC)
Earl King (SEXUAL TELEPATHY CD)
Slim Harpo (flawless)
James "Thunderbird" Davis (CHECK OUT TIME CD)
Muddy Waters (almost all of his Chess shit, and his Johnny Winter-produced shit, too)

There's others I've heard, but these artists come to mind most often for me personally.

PEACE!

May 15, 2002
sav-man said:
Mississippi Fred McDowell (Arhoolie stuff)
fuck yea. mississippi fred's the shit. i love old delta blues. others i've been listening to lately are muddy waters (greatest voice ever), bb king, buddy guy, and of course johnny winter

Apr 8, 2004
@sav-man & redstorm: what is a good mississppi fred cd you can put me on? i wanna hear it

@shea: you really wrote a blues album, or you were just being sarcastic, i don't know about you sometimes man j/k. you play an instrument or something??

May 15, 2002
Contagious Locc said:
@sav-man & redstorm: what is a good mississppi fred cd you can put me on? i wanna hear it
i've only heard a couple of his albums, but my favorite is called "steakbone slide guitar". his self-titled album is pretty good too. you can listen to some snippets at rasputin's website

@shea
would you be willing to put up a snippet or two (if you've got anything recorded) of your album? i'd be interested to hear it.

Apr 25, 2002
SF
I listen to blues everyday, sometimes I think I like it more than rap
and I'm young too

some of my favorites-
John Lee Hooker
Lightnin Hopkins
Muddy
Howlin Wolf
Buddy Guy
BBKing
Sonny Boy
Little Walter
James Booker
all dat shit
man its too many to name

Feb 19, 2003
Contagious Locc said:

@shea: you really wrote a blues album, or you were just being sarcastic, i don't know about you sometimes man j/k. you play an instrument or something??
@Contagious Locc--yeah, like Redstorm said, STEAKBONE SLIDE GUITAR's a great CD,

Two more great ones are YOU GOTTA MOVE and GOOD MORNING LITTLE SCHOOL GIRL. Both are on Arhoolie Records and feature stuff recorded at and/or near McDowell's home of Como, Mississippi in 1964. The first disc (YGM) is 19 Blues songs w/ McDowell and his guitar, and the second disc (GMLSG), has 11 Blues songs, again w/ McDowell and his guitar, and 11 Gospel songs, recorded with Annie Mae McDowell (his wife) and members of the "Hunter's Chapel Spiritual Singers" (basically, the congregation from the church the McDowells attended). You can't go wrong w/ Mississippi Fred...

PEACE!