the bay is back vs. finally here...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 22, 2006
so i started thinking about this yesterday when i heard rappin 4tay "playaz club" on the radio... everyone keeps saying "the bay is back, the bay is back" - but in my mind, this seems like the first time the bay really has potential to blow on it's own...

let me start it off by saying i don't think the bay is back YET. we're doing great regionally, but in terms of national/world-wide attention and sales, there is still a LONG way to go. not to knock what anyone is doing, we all know they're doing their thing... but the reality of the situation is hyphy hasn't reached the mass-hysteria point that crunk did a couple years back (not saying that's what i want to happen either... please believe!).

but in comparisson to the last bay run on the national charts - in the mid-90s - this movement seems like it's actually FOCUSED on the bay, and i think it's the first time that has happened... think about '95 - the "i got 5 on it" era... those songs didn't have anything to do with the bay. even the bay all-stars remix, which we hear all the time out here, never did anything nationally... no one cared about bay artists on a national level - they just liked the few songs that hit (i got 5 on it, i'll be around, things'll never change, etc)... and probably the only reason people looked at the bay in the first place at that time was because it was right on the tails of l.a.'s domination of rap starting in 92 with "the chronic."

even in Short's early days, the Hammer-era, those cuts were never really about the bay. in Short's case, it was pimpin (and Oakland). in Hammer's case, it was - well, whatever. E-40, the one dude who has ALWAYS repped the Bay, was always seens as a regional artists... not really doing much west of Denver or outside of the South. lots of people HATED 40 because of his bay swagger.

anyway, my point is this... as much as it is deserved, the industry attention focused on the Bay right now is PRICELESS. i think it's the first time we've ever seen such focus on our region and i really hope artists are smart enough not to let the opportunity fall away, because if it goes away, it WON'T be back. we keep hearing rumors about Bay artists being signed to majors, but it always ends up being a distribution deal of some sort - or they haven't been offered enough money, etc...

my advice is go for the majors, even if the money isn't ALL right. i know independent money is good, but it will be even better down the road if you're known and respected nationally as an artist. suck it up for a little bit, you might have to take it in the ass for an album, but the attention that will ultimately be given back to the bay, as i've said, is priceless - and well worth it...

aight, i'm done. your responces?

C

CcytzO_Loc

I agree in some ways.....the bay was big in the 90s but i dont really know how big nationwide....all i know is that we used ta support ourselves cuz everyone i knew was bumpin nuttin but bay/nor cal music....its like that again only now we know for a fact that the rest of the country is hearin some of it on MTV and BET....i dont think someone should risk losin money jus to get more exposure cuz for a lot of these established bay rappers the independant game is whats makin them paper..... if majors is gonna show interest then they hold leverage to negotiate better contracts..... cash money was given 40 million wit rights to thier music.... why should any bay artist settle for a shitty deal when the majors hook up other regions????

Jun 13, 2006
CcytzO_Loc said:
cash money was given 40 million wit rights to thier music.... why should any bay artist settle for a shitty deal when the majors hook up other regions????

cash money sold a couple platinum albums and a buch of gold albums. the bay, exxcept for e40, aint sold over 50k in years

Aug 26, 2005
CcytzO_Loc said:
cash money was given 40 million wit rights to thier music.... why should any bay artist settle for a shitty deal when the majors hook up other regions????
Cash Money was one label who absolutely ran the rap game. Sorry to say this, but ain't nobody from the bay comin close to the shit Cash Money did.

C

CcytzO_Loc

Thas cuz they was given a distribution deal ta enable them to go platinum!!!!! they wasnt platinum before they signed.... give bay cats millions ta work wit and they can run the rap game too.....

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
treal shit....hustlin was perfected in the bay....

oh......and nor cal went anywhere. fuck you to whoever thinks we fell off

Feb 13, 2006
CcytzO_Loc said:
Thas cuz they was given a distribution deal ta enable them to go platinum!!!!! they wasnt platinum before they signed.... give bay cats millions ta work wit and they can run the rap game too.....
nobody is given a distibution deal they pay for that shit outta pocket upfront . baby was already rich before cash money got famous so they had the money to put up. plus there artist once signed sold a consistant 3x platinum. e-40 has been signed and yet he hasnt sold a mill. nobody would want to sign someone if they arent going to sell more than gold sometimes especially if they sell like 10k.shit thats how mike jones got in he sold a steady 300,000 indie then got signed.

Mar 30, 2006
I agree with you to a point...The Bay is not back...YET...It is not to the point to where it used to be like from 89-95....If you think about it the Bay back then was the West Coast Motown back then...KMEL Summer Jam's had multi platinum Bay Acts like MC Hammer, Too Short, En Vogue, Toni Tone Tony, Too $hort, Digital Underground, let's just say it was a long ass list of people....Getting Soul Train Awards ...Arsenio Hall appearances....Once we get to that Point again..then the Bay Will be definatly back...Atlanta is basicially how the Bay was in the late to mid 90's....So right now we jus rebuilding int he BAY...

I disagree with you saying that the Bay was only looked at cus we were riding coat tails of the Chronic Album...Cus Hammer been screamin out "Imma super dope homeboy fromt he Oaktown" since I was in the second grade...(88-89) Like I said En Vogue, Too Short, Tone Tony Toni been holding down the Bay Scene and opening up doors for folks like E-40, Luniz, Dru Down...etc...

Jun 24, 2006
they bay and the west in genral is gonna blow up its reaching out here in the midwest so its definatley gonna blow that is if they dont drop the ball if that happens the midwest will def pick that ball up