That Raider offensive line....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I am here to put y'all fools up on game. This is for those cats who kept disagreeing with me in regards to the Raiders shitty o-line. Like I said in some other Raider posts... our line isn't as bad as it seems (even though we gave up a ton of sacks). It was Art's old school system/coaching that wasn't working and causing us to give up a lot of sacks. Just read this (this was copied and pasted) So let me know what you gotta say after you read this:

The key signing was offensive line coach Tom Cable, because the Raiders’ biggest weakness last year was their offensive line, which gave up 72 sacks.

Shell earned Hall of Fame honors as an offensive tackle. So did Jackie Slater, the offensive line coach last season. But the two taught outmoded techniques to the Raiders’ linemen.

Even 20 years ago, linemen had specific targets for their blocks. Now, with all the stunting and blitzing, a lineman may be blocking air if he looks for a specific man. Teams have gone to zone blocking, so if a defensive lineman drops off the line, the offensive lineman can pick up the blitzing linebacker or defensive back who comes through that hole. Shell and Slater were reluctant to use zone blocking.

Cable is a veteran coach but still relatively young at 42. His experience is varied, even including a time as head coach at the University of Idaho. He spent his last two years at Atlanta, working with the Raiders’ new offensive coordinator, Greg Knapp. Obviously, they’ll be on the same page.

thascary 1, gimpy, Jerrey fuckin rice, etc.... what y'all gotta say now?

Tony strikes again!! I told y'all it was Art's played out schemes. It's good his stubborn ass got fired.

Mar 16, 2005
so what will the excuse be this next season?

there is a man in front of you....you block him...they didn't do that!

fuck a scheme and shit if you see a guy going by you you go to get him...raiders didn't.

I can't wait to hear the excuses next year

May 9, 2002
So you are honestly gonna sit here and tell me that after the FIRST time Art saw a problem with the O-Line scheme, he didnt do shit? Cmon bro, youre smarter than that. The fact is, ANY coach, I dont care HOW bad he is, will amke adjustments to ANYTHING when there is a problem.

THe problem asntt he scheme, blocking is blocking. It was the LAC of TALENT on the line, cut and DRY.

Next excuse?

May 2, 2002
If you are in the NFL, you should know how to block.

It's not like these players haven't seen these type of defensive schemes before.

That being said, we'll see.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I'm a raider fan, and although I do see truth in art shells outdated ways, it still speaks volumes on the o-lines abilities. they just aren't good. hopefully this new system will mend that tho.

Mar 16, 2005
Also...he came from Atlanta huh?

Vick is a good scrambling qb to get out of sacks right????

too bad he was sacked more time than everyone in the nfl except for 4 others. this 4 others you say? Kitna, bulger, Losman & Rothlesberger.

Other than maybe Detroit...Oaklands lineman are worse than the other 3 teams and he still couldn't stop a good qb like vick from getting sacked!

May 9, 2002
thascary1 said:
Also...he came from Atlanta huh?

Vick is a good scrambling qb to get out of sacks right????

too bad he was sacked more time than everyone in the nfl except for 4 others. this 4 others you say? Kitna, bulger, Losman & Rothlesberger.

Other than maybe Detroit...Oaklands lineman are worse than the other 3 teams and he still couldn't stop a good qb like vick from getting sacked!
NICE! I like the research you put in there.

Apr 25, 2002
Like Ive already said...the players on the line are garbage regardless of scheme.
"The line isn't bad, just needs better coaching".
Ive heard this same shit year after year and its been the same result.
2004 - man to man blocking, decent line, not great but not horrible
2005 - zone blocking, piss poor line
2006 - man to man blocking, historically HORRIBLE line
3 different coaches..same shitty line.

Until we get new players on the line that are proven Im sticking with my opinion that the line will be trash..no point in giving my hopes up like every other year.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
You guys gotta learn football. I am here to teach you. Read what I cut and pasted closely. In Art's system the linemen were assigned to block a "man" a specific man. If that man dropped off into a zone coverage the Raider linemen didn't know who to block. That caused confusion (not to mention that the Raiders didn't have "hot" reads). With "zone" blocking their assignments will differ depending on who is in their zone.... a big difference. Just like when cornerbacks are in man to man coverage vs zone coverage.

Mar 16, 2005
3VID3NC3 said:
Like Ive already said...the players on the line are garbage regardless of scheme.
"The line isn't bad, just needs better coaching".
Ive heard this same shit year after year and its been the same result.
2004 - man to man blocking, decent line, not great but not horrible
2005 - zone blocking, piss poor line
2006 - man to man blocking, historically HORRIBLE line
3 different coaches..same shitty line.

Until we get new players on the line that are proven Im sticking with my opinion that the line will be trash..no point in giving my hopes up like every other year.

but 3vid3nc3

Tony is a HUGE raiers fan, shouldn't I believe him?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
gimpypimp said:
If you are in the NFL, you should know how to block.

It's not like these players haven't seen these type of defensive schemes before.

That being said, we'll see.
Gimpy... the point is "who" to block not how. The linemen were assigned specific men to block, when those men shift, drop into coverage, etc... the linemen would get confused because they wouldn't know "who" to block.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
You guys gotta learn football. I am here to teach you. Read what I cut and pasted closely. In Art's system the linemen were assigned to block a "man" a specific man. If that man dropped off into a zone coverage the Raider linemen didn't know who to block. That caused confusion (not to mention that the Raiders didn't have "hot" reads). With "zone" blocking their assignments will differ depending on who is in their zone.... a big difference. Just like when cornerbacks are in man to man coverage vs zone coverage.

read what I wrote.....his line schemes got vick sacked 45 times......that is a scrambling qb....what's gonna happen in oakland?

Talk about need to learn football

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Gimpy... the point is "who" to block not how. The linemen were assigned specific men to block, when those men shift, drop into coverage, etc... the linemen would get confused because they wouldn't know "who" to block.

and they didn't face these defense in college?

get the fuck outta here

Apr 25, 2002
Tony said:
Bro theres no way to avoid the fact we need new linemen..Walker is gone, Sims is old and Grove gets manhandled every play. No coach could take the players we have now and turn them into a solid o-line. Im not arguing the fact that a different coach and scheme could help but its not gonna fix everything. We need players upfront with attitude and fire. Gallery was a damn choir boy growing up..no one is scared of him.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
thascary1 said:
but 3vid3nc3

Tony is a HUGE raiers fan, shouldn't I believe him?
Even if I wasn't a HUGE Raider fan I am putting you up on game. Why do you think the Broncos are so successful on offense? They run zone blocking schemes, cut blocks, etc.... that's why their running backs are always running in the open field. They use them cut blocks and their running backs cut off of the linemen cut back blocks.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Even if I wasn't a HUGE Raider fan I am putting you up on game. Why do you think the Broncos are so successful on offense? They run zone blocking schemes, cut blocks, etc.... that's why their running backs are always running in the open field. They use them cut blocks and their running backs cut off of the linemen cut back blocks.

no fuckin shit sherlock....you know why it works????

WE HAVE TALENT ON THE O-LINE! We will be getting rid of Foster who sucks and could be a start in Oaklnd...but WE HAVE TALENT

That's the difference!

without talent it doesn't matter which scheme you run!