TBIB

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 29, 2004
What does this mean? THE BAY IS BACK..
I have seen this saying surface on this board for the past 6 years. I've seen Rappers and Fans on here trying to predict who will be the next to blow up or the next to put the Bay on the map and who will bring the major record labels back to the Bay. I think back to 2002 before the KMEL and KYLD Rap battles jumped off. The rappers out here were silenced. The closest thing we got to radio play was the Done Deal Camp on Vons mix shows and the only time a Time Out hand signal was thrown up was on the Basketball Court. Sure we had our chosen few artists that could sell a few thousand independent once a year and make enough to make a rap living but nothing that would classify our region as being a powerful force in the music mainstream. I couldnt even go to Salinas and find the likes of a Jacka on the Sam Goody local artist shelf let alone NY, TX, ATL, LA etc etc. Fast forward 6 years....

Mistah FAB: Atlantic
Clyde Carson: Capitol
E-40: Warner Bros
Ya Boy: Internet Superstar
The Pack: Jive
Z-Man (One Block Radius): Island Def Jam, Billboard Top 40 for 5 weeks
A-Wax: Konvict Music
Jacka- Ozone Artist of the Year, 2008 radio smash "All over me"
Baby Bash: Arista
Keak: Koch
Mac Dre: Overnight Rap Icon
Keisha Cole: Interscope/Geffen
Hyphy: Newest Edition to Websters Dictionary
Ghostridin The Whip: The new Skateboarding

The list of accomplishments probably goes beyond this but yet I still see people on here doubting the Bays success. Some say 40 failed in "Bringing the Bay back" and some say its just not possible. I think people really gotta sit down and think bout where we were 6 years ago and where we r now. Fuck White Rappers!!

Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
What does this mean? THE BAY IS BACK..
I have seen this saying surface on this board for the past 6 years. I've seen Rappers and Fans on here trying to predict who will be the next to blow up or the next to put the Bay on the map and who will bring the major record labels back to the Bay. I think back to 2002 before the KMEL and KYLD Rap battles jumped off. The rappers out here were silenced. The closest thing we got to radio play was the Done Deal Camp on Vons mix shows and the only time a Time Out hand signal was thrown up was on the Basketball Court. Sure we had our chosen few artists that could sell a few thousand independent once a year and make enough to make a rap living but nothing that would classify our region as being a powerful force in the music mainstream. I couldnt even go to Salinas and find the likes of a Jacka on the Sam Goody local artist shelf let alone NY, TX, ATL, LA etc etc. Fast forward 6 years....

Mistah FAB: Atlantic
Clyde Carson: Capitol
E-40: Warner Bros
Ya Boy: Internet Superstar
The Pack: Jive
Z-Man (One Block Radius): Island Def Jam, Billboard Top 40 for 5 weeks
A-Wax: Konvict Music
Jacka- Ozone Artist of the Year, 2008 radio smash "All over me"
Baby Bash: Arista
Keak: Koch
Mac Dre: Overnight Rap Icon
Keisha Cole: Interscope/Geffen
Hyphy: Newest Edition to Websters Dictionary
Ghostridin The Whip: The new Skateboarding

The list of accomplishments probably goes beyond this but yet I still see people on here doubting the Bays success. Some say 40 failed in "Bringing the Bay back" and some say its just not possible. I think people really gotta sit down and think bout where we were 6 years ago and where we r now. Fuck White Rappers!!
How is being on a major label success? Getting a word in a dictionary is success? Who benefits from that? Ghostriding the whip is the new skateboarding? Are we gonna see nationally televised competitions?

Outta the names you listed E-40, Keyshia Cole, and Baby Bash are the only ones who have seen national success.

Mistah F.A.B.- He has successfully got attention...people around the country know who he is...but he has not yet turned that into album sales.

Clyde Carson- Tons of local success, but who even cares about him outside of Cali?

Ya Boy- Internet Superstar? Let's see how super his sales are when he drops an album.

The Pack- Vans was a successful single, thats about it.

Z-Man- I dont know anything about him so....

A-Wax- Most people in the bay don't even know who he is.

Jacka- He deserves success, he's got the Bay's support, but he hasn't found a way to make the rest of the country pay attention.

Keak- He was selling more albums 5 years ago before Koch.

Overall, yeah, the bay is doing better than they were in 2002. But no, TBINB. Other than E-40 and Keyshia Cole....who do u see on TV? Who gets consistent national radio play?

All the big names need to save their hottest songs...drop them back to back to back to back to back to back in 2009, and follow those hot songs with quality albums.

Jul 29, 2004
How is being on a major label success? Getting a word in a dictionary is success? Who benefits from that? Ghostriding the whip is the new skateboarding? Are we gonna see nationally televised competitions?

Outta the names you listed E-40, Keyshia Cole, and Baby Bash are the only ones who have seen national success.

Mistah F.A.B.- He has successfully got attention...people around the country know who he is...but he has not yet turned that into album sales.

Clyde Carson- Tons of local success, but who even cares about him outside of Cali?

Ya Boy- Internet Superstar? Let's see how super his sales are when he drops an album.

The Pack- Vans was a successful single, thats about it.

Z-Man- I dont know anything about him so....

A-Wax- Most people in the bay don't even know who he is.

Jacka- He deserves success, he's got the Bay's support, but he hasn't found a way to make the rest of the country pay attention.

Keak- He was selling more albums 5 years ago before Koch.

Overall, yeah, the bay is doing better than they were in 2002. But no, TBINB. Other than E-40 and Keyshia Cole....who do u see on TV? Who gets consistent national radio play?

All the big names need to save their hottest songs...drop them back to back to back to back to back to back in 2009, and follow those hot songs with quality albums.
Fact is...you really do not know what their level of success is. Every artist named is a valid artist and a proven success. Maybe not by your standard or idea of what successful is. Z-Man isnt on your list of Bay Rappers/Artists so he dont matter? Well, Look it up..www.myspace.com/oneblockradius. Mistah FAB probably pockets $1500.00 a day in features and was featured on one of 2008's biggest national singles..Clyde has seen Hyphy Juice make millions and the Pack seems to show up on every MTV Video that comes on during the day..These cats are doing something right. And its all artist development. Puttin themselves in a position to sell records. Most Major label artists dont even see their deals translate more then 20k sales every time with big corporate backing and still we see them as a success. What makes artists out here any different. I think cats out here are going to be surprised on what they see happen in the next year or so. JUST MY OPINION

Jul 29, 2004
Are we still judging success by who lands on MTV?

I'm not.

Success = waking up & not dead today, & doing what you love weather it's music or whatever.

....or are we only talking about making it into the mainstream?

I'm not.
Hate to say it good buddy but we are talking about music. This isnt the construction build a bridge forum. Or the Support your local fire department forum. This is about entertainment. A few goals for an artist trying to be successful: Getting paid to perform, National Exposure ie: MTV, BET, Movies, Radio etc, Being a household name, hitting the Billboard charts and supporting a family based on an income that is obtained from the arts. Is Joe Blow's idea of success waking up every day and working a 9 to 5? YES. Is FAB'S idea of success the same as Joe Blow's? Probably not.

All Im sayin is the Bay has come a long way in the past 6 years. The Bay has never been the focus of the industry and probably never will be. But thats becuase the industry is not based here like it is in NY, LA, ATL etc. But there will be some dudes/dudettes out here makin some major industry moves in the near future.

Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
Fact is...you really do not know what their level of success is. Every artist named is a valid artist and a proven success. Maybe not by your standard or idea of what successful is. Z-Man isnt on your list of Bay Rappers/Artists so he dont matter? Well, Look it up..www.myspace.com/oneblockradius. Mistah FAB probably pockets $1500.00 a day in features and was featured on one of 2008's biggest nationwide singles..Clyde has seen Hyphy Juice make millions and the Pack seems to show up on every MTV Video that comes on during the day..These cats are doing something right. Most Major label artists dont even see their deals translate more then 20k sales every time with big corporate backing and still we see them as a success. What makes cats out here any different. I think cats out here are going to be surprised on what they see happen in the next year. JUST MY OPINION
I agree we don't know what their level of success is.

But I thought we were talking about TBIB.

I interpret that as the Bay being as relevant to the overall hip hop word as it was in the mid 90s.

That statement you made about the pack and MTV is nonsense.
You honestly think that Mistah F.A.B. pockets half a mil a year on features?
Did I say Z-man doesn't matter? I just said I don't really know about him.

To summarize:

You say the bay is back because they're doing better than they were 5 years ago.

I say the bay is not back cuz they're not doing as good as they were 13 years ago.

But I say there's potential for TBTBB as long as everyone has their team get their business straight and focuses on making quality music.

Jul 29, 2004
I concur...

my point overall is that the whole TBIB thing is played, folks should keep doing what they love regardless of what scale they are being rated on.

People that put this rap first, & don't have a backup plan are walking on thin ice.

I am actually agreeing with you that I think those folks you mentioned have come a long way.

But for the average person making music, rap, whatever... it's about doing what you love regardless of the long road ahead.

...& yes, thank you for clarifying this is not the construction forum, I almost put up an ad for cheap labor before you corrected that lol

LMFAOACOMOTU (laughing my fuckin ass off and chokin on my own throw up)

But yeah, I agree.

Jul 29, 2004
I agree we don't know what their level of success is.

But I thought we were talking about TBIB.

I interpret that as the Bay being as relevant to the overall hip hop word as it was in the mid 90s.

That statement you made about the pack and MTV is nonsense.
You honestly think that Mistah F.A.B. pockets half a mil a year on features?
Did I say Z-man doesn't matter? I just said I don't really know about him.

To summarize:

You say the bay is back because they're doing better than they were 5 years ago.

I say the bay is not back cuz they're not doing as good as they were 13 years ago.

But I say there's potential for TBTBB as long as everyone has their team get their business straight and focuses on making quality music.
What I said about the Pack makes oooober sense. MTV, Hollywood, Movies, Features and even carrying the likes of Travis Barker's Bags is a platform to being successful in this business. Thats like saying that 10,000 plays on Myspace each day dont count. If it translates into 10% sales and a fan base then it does. Where were we 13 years ago? Spice One, Luniz and E-40. JT for a hot second. Arguably Master P who lived here for a hot minute. We were more local back then then we are now. And I would say yes..FAB is gettin breaded out right now indepedently. 1/2 a mill..NO. Enough to support his lifestyle and keep his campaign going? YES And I know you didnt say that Z doesnt matter. Just a point that Im trying to make. If we dont know the artist on a local level then we dont consider them even after hearing of their success. Most dont consider Keisha Cole as being a local turned superstar because we only really know her has being, a "Superstar." I think we are very rellevent right now.