Symbolic Logic

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Why would you ever do this other than out of purely academic interest (and it's actually academic interest of quite dubious significance to put it mildly)?
Curiosity I suppose. I am curious of what knowledge and wisdom I can apply from all arcane schools of thought. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I am merely trying to get a better grasp of the universe around me.

Nov 17, 2002
www.facebook.com
Curiosity I suppose. I am curious of what knowledge and wisdom I can apply from all arcane schools of thought. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I am merely trying to get a better grasp of the universe around me.
To add...

Being able to demonstrate, mathematically, that an argument is valid or invalid is only as significant as is math in general.

But to be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less how significant this is to everyday life. Sudoku isn't significant (in any objective way) to daily life either, but I still enjoy it.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Being applied to facts means considering whether or not the premises of an argument are true.

So, for instance, if I made the statement: "If God doesn't exist, then it is not the case that if I pray, my prayers will be answered by God" would you say this is true or untrue? After all, how can my prayers be answered by God if God doesn't exist?

Of course, there is something wrong with this argument. I'm not for one second claiming this proves the existence of God. But when you say that symbolic logic has no meaning until it's applied to facts, I want to know what part of either of the above arguments aren't facts.
Do we need to go over what a fact is?