Successful Artists in the Bay

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 1, 2006
I agree with the following definition of "good," or successful art: A piece of work which fulfills the intention of the artist. That is a totally fair criterion for judging work.

That being said, I do not believe that the Bay Area has many successful artists at all, and the reason is thus: most of what comes out from bay artists is "art" which is created with the intention of mass appeal. This is evidenced by the fact that if you compare the albums' lyrical content with what's winning in the game right now, you'll see they are VERY VERY SIMILAR. Both 50 Cent and Messy Marv rap about the exact same shit.

On the other hand, you take an artist like Mac Dre. His lyrics were entirely trite and simplistic....but his intention wasn't mass appeal, or to make a backpack classic. His intention was to produce an ecstacy experience for a select group of fans, and he was largely successful.

Lets take a look at the Frontline album "Who R You?" Ski used a lot of neptunes-esque synths and hand claps to make some clubby beats, and Left/Lock primarily worked on punchlines throughout the record -it resembles the Clipse album in that respect. Furthermore, it was even RE-released with brighter EQ'ing, and more radio friendly tracks. It's easy to determine the intent. That album was clearly created for mass appeal.

Was it successful, or "good," according to this intent? No, it wasn't. The album didn't catch any ears further than Kansas City, and it lost steam even after its re-release. So, with all due respect, they ultimately failed, and the art did not fulfill its artists' intent. The Frontline album "Who R U" was not good.

So I ask you all to name an album in the bay, BESIDES MAC DRE, which was "good" according to, and ONLY to the artist's intentions.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Interesting topic. Unfortunately, most kids on this board won't even read the whole thing because it's more than a paragraph long. And if they do I don't think you'll get many well thought out responses.

Couldn't this be slightly subjective though? Your opinion on what the artists intentions of an album were could be totally different than the next person. You can't get a concrete answer to this.

Jan 1, 2006
Doxx said:
Couldn't this be slightly subjective though?
Well, of course, which is why I briefly outlined my deduction in the case of the Frontline album. If a clubby sounding album which is predominantly filled with punchlines is re-released again with an even more clubby sound (it was even mentioned by someone in the Frontline camp that it was remixed for a more radio friendly appeal), then I don't know how you can draw any other conclusion. It was pop, intended to be pop. And it wasn't popular at all. Wouldn't you that's fairly sound?

Anyway, I'm glad to see you have a firm grasp on this topic. Ronnie and Remaq do not.

Remaq

Sicc OG
Dec 26, 2003
www.showcaseyourmusic.com
Por la Fuerza said:
Well, of course, which is why I briefly outlined my deduction in the case of the Frontline album. If a clubby sounding album which is predominantly filled with punchlines is re-released again with an even more clubby sound (it was even mentioned by someone in the Frontline camp that it was remixed for a more radio friendly appeal), then I don't know how you can draw any other conclusion. It was pop, intended to be pop. And it wasn't popular at all. Wouldn't you that's fairly sound?

Anyway, I'm glad to see you have a firm grasp on this topic. Ronnie and Remaq do not.
It's all official pimp all luv mayne..... The people I listed, in my opinion are tight mayne all got they own style mayne..and spit da real. Who are we to say that a piece of work the artist drops does not fulfill their intentions? This whole thing about the bay does not have talented artist or the bay will never come up is mind boggling. Where is the support and luv. All I see on this board is negativity toward the artists that are doing things, hustling trying to make it and do something big for the Bay. WHERES THE LUV AT MAN. I know this has been said many times before but we need to come togther and stand united. Let's make good music TOGETHER. But who am I right. This thread is mearly just opinion so I am not gonna knock what you have to say either..Cause shit you could be right with what you are speaking to ya feel..

JUST UPLOADED SOME NEW BLAPPPPPPPPPPZZZZZ YEEEEEEEEEE COME THRU AND PEEP..

www.myspace.com/remyremaqskolinentertainment

Jan 1, 2006
On a side note, why do people say "We doin it big for the bay?" You're acting like once you blow you're going to open up rivers of milk and honey and build schools and shit. You know full damn well if they blew up, they'd spend their proceeds on big ass cars, grandiose houses, and $5000 hookers.

Remaq

Sicc OG
Dec 26, 2003
www.showcaseyourmusic.com
Well man everyone is different maybe you right some people that make it will buy cars and houses and "5000 dollar hooker" LOL. but man there are the few who won't forget where they came from and recruit artist with skills from the Bay and thats what they mean by "We doing it big for the Bay"..

IVE

Feb 8, 2006
This is stupid because of the fact that noone is givin thew bay a chance our artists are not making it out of the bay. So how can you say that they aren't felt or wouldn't be felt if they were being heard.even if theeir intention were to reach alarge crowd if their music doesn't make it to the crowd that they may be trying to reach then the chances for successful record sales are slim

Dec 9, 2005
Zion-I has always done things they're way...I believe they are the most successful group in The Bay based on this:

A piece of work which fulfills the intention of the artist

Jun 17, 2005
www.RaPimp.com
Por la Fuerza said:
On a side note, why do people say "We doin it big for the bay?" You're acting like once you blow you're going to open up rivers of milk and honey and build schools and shit. You know full damn well if they blew up, they'd spend their proceeds on big ass cars, grandiose houses, and $5000 hookers.
$5000 hookers? I didnt know hoes come that expensive...