Studio Monitors

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
What kind of monitors are you guys using? I've been mixing on computer speakers for way too damn long and was wondering what kind everyone is using to kinda guide my decision. I'm thinking about getting either the Event TR8s, the 5 or 6 inch Tannoy Reveals or the M-Audio MX8s. I'm in like the 500 to 600 dollar price range. I've actually heard the TR8s and a nicer set of reveals that actually go for like 800 bucks. What do you guys think?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
What we think does not matter. I don't know your room or how your ears respond to sound. The only advice I can give you is try before you buy. Take some music in (professionally mixed music ***AND*** your music) and test the speakers out. The flatter the frequency response the better. If you find a pair you like purchase them, try them out and take them back if they sound like crap.

I own four pairs of monitors but only use 3.

IN USE:

4312B JBL

Good luck on finding these in america.

Control 1 JBL

I check kicks and bass on these. If the kicks don't sound HARD coming out of these my kicks aren't working. If I can barely hear the bass out of these the bass isn't working. If I hear too much rumble the bass is too much and I cut frequencies or lower the bass/drum tracks.

SPIRIT ABSOLUTE ZERO

I use these mainly for mixing the vox, mid response and high boosting/cutting. If I can barely hear the highs on these something is wrong and if the mid range is too muddy something is wrong.

collecting dust

No room to use them, no time to get to know them. I am currently looking for a new spot to setup in and have decided I won't use them until I find the spot I want/like. These, the mpc4000 and all of my other gear in stoarge will collect dust until I find the right spot. :siccness:

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^The term flat frequency response is a funny term to me because there really is nothing out there with a true flat frequency response. You can run anything in the world through SMAART and nothing will come out perfectly flat.I've been told pretty much everything has a "flat frequency response" as long as you know the characteristics of what you are monitoring through and know how to make up for whatever isn't 0db on the frequency response chart.

So Heresy your pretty much telling me that its best to have several monitoring systems, I hear that but I'm just looking for a first set you know. I"ve only been exposed to a couple of monitors most are ones that are way out of my price range like high end Genelecs and Hafflers. I've also thought of trying to get in touch with one of my old teachers who actually knew how to build his own! They sounded pretty nice too! I'll probably go with the TR8s for my first set though, I like how their low end comes out from people i knew that monitored with them.

yo Heresy since you are monitoring through 3 sets of speakers, what kind of system if any are you using to A/B them?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
So Heresy your pretty much telling me that its best to have several monitoring systems
No, I am telling you what I have. My situation is totally different from yours. My choice in monitors and having multiple pairs is preference. I like to hear the music through each pair and adjust accordingly. Some people on the other hand use ns-10s only. Some people prefer a sub, I believe a sub should only be used in a room that is properly treated to handle the bass response. To each his own.

They sounded pretty nice too! I'll probably go with the TR8s for my first set though, I like how their low end comes out from people i knew that monitored with them.
If you want the best possible sound from your monitors your room needs to sound good. If you have a dip or bump somewhere (and believe me you WILL) your monitors are going to sound "different". How they sound to you and in your room is what will matter the most.

http://emusician.com/speakers/ (read EVERY article on this page)

http://www.rocketroberts.com/techart/spkr.htm

yo Heresy since you are monitoring through 3 sets of speakers, what kind of system if any are you using to A/B them?
The digi 002r has main outs and monitor outs. I split these and feed them to two seperate amps. One amp controls one pair and the other amp has an A and B.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Yeah i know no room is perfect, especially since mine isn't going to be treated at all, I'm real short on space right now but I want to get back into it. I'll be in my crowded ass living room so I'm sure there will be plenty of dips and bumps all over the spetcrum but it ain't nothing new you know. I'll probably get the TR8s and just see how they do for me and build up a cool room when i get myself into a new spot.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
^somepeople just dont learn, im thinkn of gettn some monitors lol ive said this alot of times, i just dont have the time right now to go to the guitar center, so im gonna hold off on those until spring break, anyone ever had bad experiences with any.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm just scouting whats in my price range and I want actives since I don't feel like springing for a power amp.

^
^Bad experiences.. Well in school we made like a wall of monitors and we pitted a bunch of them together and judged them on how they sounded. The worst sounding ones was surprizingly ones that are the quote unquote standard, the Yamaha NS-10s. Their mid range will slice your neck i tell ya but they are probably in more major studios than anything else out there. They aren't manufactured anymore. The best sounding ones we rated were a set of Tannoy reveals that were passives (I think) and a very nice set of NHKs i think was the brand that were like 1800 a piece. My friend had his alesis passives in the wall which we thought sounded good until it was pitted against other speakers. My teacher had a set that he built himself that didn't sound half bad either. It was a fun little experemant.

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
MOUTHPIECE,
YOU TALKIN' BOUT THE ASP6'S?

JAYDA,
I OWN SOME OF THOSE EVENTS STUDIO PRECISION 6. THEY PRETTY COOL AND ACTIVE. THEY WENT BAK IN 2004 FOR $650 EACH.

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
^IN THAT CASE YOU MIgHT HAVE EITHA SETTLE FOR SOMETHIN' CHEAP, OR ACTIVE. BUT gUITAR CENTER MIgHT HAVE A WIDE SELECTION, SOMETHIN' IN YOUR PRICE RANgE. YOU EVA CHECCED OUT MUSICIAN'S FRIEND OR SWEETWATER?

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
yeah I seen them at sweetwater for a good price, but it might be for each speaker though. anything is better than mixing out of computer speakers though which i've been doing for years now, I can still get a good mix though for what i'm working with

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
not 100% I like the tannoys that i heards over all sound and i like the design of the speaker itself the smooth top is said to give you a better representation of your highs and mids cuz they aren't bouncing into you or some shit.

The TR8s I've known a handful of people that had them and i like their sound too. good for hip hop.

I just got paid so I'm getting something audio related, bet that. might get an interface but I've also got a thread running on one of those and am real unsure of the one I want there. I'm planning to get all the audio gear i can before I try to move cuz moneys gonna be tight and I won't be able to buy none for awhile. I need monitors, new interface, new controllers a new PC and a decent sized desk to house all this shit so thats a couple Gs right there. Gotta do it though cuz I've been to recording arts school and havn't done a fucking thing since i left the place (learn this shit on your own)