Strikeforce confirms April 11 headliner of Shamrock vs. Diaz, other event details

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce today confirmed its debut on Showtime will feature a main event between former Strikeforce world middleweight champion Frank Shamrock (23-9-2) and former EliteXC top lightweight contender Nick Diaz (18-7) at a catch-weight of 179 pounds.

The event, which will be the first following Strikeforce's acquisition of select assets (including key fightets' contracts) from ProElite/EliteXC last week, takes place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Strikeforce promoter Scott Coker also confirmed Benji Radach (19-4) vs. Scott Smith (14-5) as signed for the event, and the organization is on the search for opponents to fight Strikeforce world lightweight champ Josh Thomson (16-2) and Gilbert Melendez (14-2).

Details of the event and Strikeforce's deal with ProElite were discussed today during a media conference call with Coker, Shamrock and Ken Hershman, Showtime's VP and GM of sports and event programming.

Strikeforce and Showtime last week confirmed a new broadcasting deal that could feature up to 16 live event broadcasts per year. The deal will include a series that showcases the organization's top prospects, similar to EliteXC's "ShoXC" series that aired on Showtime from 2007 to 2008. Strikeforce has recently promoted its version of the series under the name "Young Guns."

As for the major events, the first features an intriguing headline bout between the 36-year-old Shamrock and 25-year-old Diaz.

Shamrock, who lost his title to Cung Le in March 2008, suffered a broken arm in the TKO defeat and has been sidelined ever since. Although a rematch with Le had been discussed for the April 11 event, Coker said the current champ has been busy with his budding movie career and recovery from a recent injury. (However, Le is expected to defend his title against Shamrock before year's end, Coker said.)

Shamrock instead meets Diaz, one of many fighters stuck in a state of limbo when EliteXC ceased promoting events in late 2008. Diaz, one of approximately 40 fighters initially acquired by Strikeforce last week, hasn't fought since his July 2008 co-main-event TKO victory over Thomas Denny at "EliteXC: Unfinished Business," which was the second (and now last) EliteXC show to air on CBS.

Although most intrigued by the marketability of a fight with a fellow "bad boy," Shamrock also admits there is some bad blood between the two fighters.

"I do know him personally, and it rare that I know fighters on a social level," Shamrock said. "Nick Diaz is very similar to me and came from a broken home. ... We have some ties that tie us together.

"I know for a fact he said some words when I knocked out his coach Cesar (Gracie in March 2006). And he said some words afterward that got him into this fight. We're going to fight. I don't care about Nick. He's a nice guy, and I'm going to knock him out, and then I'll go on to the next one."

In addition to the Radach vs. Smith middleweight match-up, Coker said the organization plans to feature Thomson on the main card. Coker said he's offered the fight to EliteXC's first and only lightweight champ, K.J. Noons (7-2), in what would become an unofficial title-unfication bout. However, Coker said the bout has only been offered to Noons and is not official.

Also expected on the card is Melendez. Coker said he's considering Mitsuhiro Ishida (17-4-1), who delivered Melendez his first career loss in 2007, and recent UFC cast-off Jorge Gurgel (12-5) as possible opponents.

The rest of the card will be announced in the following weeks.

Jan 7, 2004
I am definitely going to this its going to be a good card

FIGHT CARD:

Frank Shamrock (23-9-2) vs. Nick Diaz (18-7)

Jake Shields (22-4-1) vs. Joe “Diesel” Riggs (29-10-0)

Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith (14-5) vs. Benji “Razor” Radach (19-4)

Plus they just added Thomson vs. Melendez.

Feb 7, 2006
Showtime Announces Strikeforce Broadcast Team

PRESS RELEASE:

The SHOWTIME Mixed Martial Arts announce team, led by play-by-play broadcast veteran Gus Johnson, Mixed Martial Arts experts Mauro Ranallo and Stephen Quadros and MMA legends Frank Shamrock and Pat Miletich will combine to create one of the most experienced and versatile groups in the history of the sport. The announcement was made today by Ken Hershman, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Sports & Event Programming, SHOWTIME, at a Los Angeles press conference kicking off the premium network's new relationship with leading MMA promoter Strikeforce.

The group will work in various combinations on both Strikeforce championship telecasts and on the yet to be named up-and-comers' series.

"I am thrilled with the announce team we've assembled," said Hershman. "The depth of talent, in terms of professional fight experience and live broadcast polish, is unmatched in the industry.

"As the first premium television network to regularly deliver live MMA events, SHOWTIME has taken the lead in presenting the sport with the respect and integrity it deserves. We take pride in delivering unparalleled coverage of this dynamic sport. And now, our broadcast team is unparalleled as well."

Gus Johnson
Johnson will be the lead play-by-play announcer and host for the Strikeforce telecasts on SHOWTIME, beginning with the first live event on April 11 (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast) that features Frank Shamrock against Nick Diaz in the main event of a five-fight telecast. The versatile Johnson will be joined on April 11 by analysts Ranallo and Miletich.

A practicing mixed martial artist who studies Shing Yi Kung Fu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and boxing, Johnson joined SHOWTIME Sports in January 2009 as the lead play-by-play announcer on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING. In addition, Johnson continues his work with CBS Sports as play-by-play announcer for the network's coverage of the NCAA Men's College Basketball Championships (since 1995) and the National Football League (since 1998).

"This is a great opportunity to be part of the most rapidly growing sport in America," said Johnson. "MMA is a sport that, in a few years, can become one of the most dominant sports in the country because the kids love it. I think MMA is going to continue to flourish and SHOWTIME is the perfect network to foster its development on television.

"I don't think there's a better team out there that can deliver the intensity of the moment while entertaining the core MMA fan and enlightening new comers.

Johnson, who called boxing for CBS Sports and Madison Square Garden Network, was the voice of CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS in 2008. He continues as an active member of the CBS Sports broadcast team.

Mauro Ranallo
Always quick with a quip, the renowned Ranallo will lead the play-by-play duties on the up-and-comers' series.

The colorful Canadian previously worked blow-by-blow for EliteXC and ShoXC telecasts on SHOWTIME and was an analyst on CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS. From 2003-2006, he has provided play-by-play for pay-per-view broadcasts of Japan's legendary Pride Fighting Championships into the North American marketplace.

"I am very excited to be a part of the new SHOWTIME team," said Ranallo, who also is the current lead anchor of the Fight Network, host of Fight Network Radio on Sirius/XM 98 and host of "The MMA Show" on the SCORE Network in Canada. "MMA is the purest form of competition featuring the greatest athletes in the world and I look forward to working with a very talented crew in providing the soundtrack for what I know will be some amazing fights."

Stephen Quadros
Known throughout the world as "The Fight Professor," Quadros has been involved in the martial arts for decades. He was the editor of two fight magazines, trained competitors in both kickboxing and MMA and has an extensive broadcasting resume that includes Pride Fighting Championships, K-1, the International Fight League and ShoXC on SHOWTIME.

As an actor, the talented Quadros has had guest roles on numerous TV shows, including "C.S.I. Miami" and "Without A Trace." Quadros was a guest lead when he fought Chuck Norris on the season premiere of "Walker, Texas Ranger."

On the other side of the camera, Quadros functioned as fight technical advisor for two films for Warner Bros. ("Exit Wounds," "Cradle 2 The Grave").

"To me, working in the MMA industry has always been a great job," the respected Quadros said. "So far I've been very fortunate to have been around the world, commentating on the best fighters and the best contests.

"But now with the partnership between Strikeforce and SHOWTIME, two of the most professional and enduring entities in the modern sports world, my confidence is at an all-time high.

"It's a dream come true to be aboard a venture of this magnitude alongside people who I hold in the highest regard. Let the games begin."

Frank Shamrock
If he had his way, Shamrock, who also was an analyst on CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS, would fight and commentate on April 11.

Arguably the most physically gifted individual to step in the cage, Shamrock has been dubbed by the press as the "closest thing mixed martial has to Muhammad Ali" for his combination of versatile skills and quick-witted mind games he has so often used to gain a sharp advantage over his opposition.

During an illustrious career, Shamrock has taken out the likes of former UFC poster boy Tito Ortiz as well as MMA legend, Bas Rutten. His 16-second submission of former Olympic gold medalist Kevin Jackson on Dec. 21, 1997 set a UFC record for stoppage of a fight.

"Great coaching and dedication to my art has allowed me to accomplish extraordinary things in my 15-year career," said Shamrock, who has held multiple world titles and records. "At 36-years old, I feel that the greatest opponent facing me in the cage is Father Time. My work as a fighter is far from over, and on April 11, you'll all see that.

"But one of my dreams has always been to work behind the mic as a sports analyst and to share my passion for martial arts with the world. I am honored to be part of the SHOWTIME announce team. These guys are, in my opinion, the best team in sports television. Under the guidance of Executive Producer David Dinkins, Jr., and my mentor Al Bernstein, I am confident that I can provide championship commentary for a great many years to come."

Pat Miletich
Miletich is the founder of Miletich Fighting Systems, a premier MMA training academy in Bettendorf, Iowa, which includes amongst its trainees some of the most talented and popular fighters in MMA, including former Icon Sport and EliteXC champion Robbie Lawler.

Known as "The Croatian Sensation," Miletich has been fighting professionally since 1995. Last year, he returned from a two-year layoff to knock out Thomas Denny in the second round (December, 2008). Miletich holds a third degree black belt in Shuri-ryu karate and has trained with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Sergio Monteiro, earning his BJJ black belt from Oswaldo Alves.

"I am very excited to be part of the SHOWTIME team," said Miletich. "I know Scott Coker very well and he and his Strikeforce outfit have been putting on quality fights for a long time. Strikeforce and SHOWTIME are a terrific match and I am looking forward to contributing in every way that I can."

Over the years, Miletich has served as guest commentator on Fox Sports Net and HDNet among others.

"I feel very comfortable in front of the camera," he continued. "It's going to be fun to be a regular part of the on-air team on such a high-profile show. The key for me is the support system. With guys like Gus Johnson and Mauro Ranallo quarterbacking the commentary, it's going to be very natural for me."

One of the most likable fighters in the sport, Miletich is the Vice President of Fighter Relations for the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts.