Stocks (GNBT)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i kick myself every day cause when i was 16...i had 40 shares of Yahoo which was @ 400/share.

16 G's down the drain cause my mom was my fuckin portfolio guardian or whatever since i was under 18....

i told her ass, you better sell that cause it's never going to be liek this again...

yahoo is at liek $13 a share today.

that pissed me off. not to mention my stock broker rarely calls me to tell me shit. and he calls my parents still and they don't invest with is ass no more! the guy is a fuckin moron...i need to either do it myself, or find someone else....probably gonna find someoen else cause i don't have the time for it...

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
Ah, thank you sir. You just had to feel compelled to rub salt in the wound! lol
Shit man you were fuckin with stocks back in that time so your winning......This dude is late 40's early 50's.....not that it matters any but he did the damn thing......And i know he has cheese....dosent work, makes improvements to his house all the time....And smokes constant tree......He won....

May 27, 2008
bump

another strategy for beginners: playing earnings reports.

if you plan to hold something short-term look at a calendar of companies and when they announce their earnings. buy in a week before or so and play accordingly. you can make a pretty penny doing this...

May 27, 2008
Good post man. Another good site is Updown.com, you can invest in "play portfolios". IMO it's a really good idea to play around with these especially if you're a young guy since it helps to hone basic skills.

Apr 25, 2002
i can't get past the stocks or commodities taht end up hurting reagular common folk.

There are lots of mutal funds that have that type of goal.

An example:

PGRNX - Pax World Global Green Individual Inv

The investment seeks long term growth of capital by investing in companies whose businesses and technologies focus on mitigating the environmental impacts of commerce. The fund invests primarily in equity securities of companies located around the world, including at least 40% of its net assets in securities of non-U.S. issuers. It invests in environmental markets?companies whose businesses and technologies focus mitigating the environmental impacts of commerce, including such areas as alternative energy and energy efficiency; water treatment and pollution control; and waste technology and resource management.

May 19, 2005
Just sold my BAC and collected a cool 15k

Will buy back next week
holy shit man,you must have a shit load of cheese if your collecting 15k like its nothing

wuts the point of rebuying in a week though?isnt t gonna be the same price or about the same?

i got my scotstrade signed up,now i jus have a shit load of reading to do,is starting with 500 bucks in the account sound alright to start with?or shoul i wait a bit till i can put a couple thous in it

May 19, 2005
@phantomoffunk howd you get into stocks.family?school?shit load of reading?

i dont know if i should go pick up some books or jus stay glued to the screen and find all my info online

Sep 24, 2006
alright like the guy a few posts ago said what is a good amount of money to have before investing and what stocks would be good right now for someone new to this ive been wanting to invest for awhile just havent had the money yet and not sure what to start with i dont wanna start with something that will lose me money

Apr 25, 2002
Don't ask people what stocks you should buy. That's how you lose. Ask about what techniques people use for picking stocks. What formulas for reading balance sheets, debt ratios, etc

Sep 24, 2006
once someone said what stocks i was gonna do research on them before investing anything into them i just mainly wanna know how much someone should invest to start

May 27, 2008
wuts the point of rebuying in a week though?isnt t gonna be the same price or about the same?
I have enough shares that half a dollar or a dollar drop will make me a substantial amount. If you don't have as much it's probably better to hold it so you don't incur short-term capital gains tax. I'm kicking myself for not holding / selling later in the day now though since BAC went up in the 14.70s now. At the same time, I made money and locked in profits and you should never scoff at that so I'm thankful... I just hope I can buy back in next week. I expect a drop after this crazy rally barring some substantial announcement.

@phantomoffunk howd you get into stocks.family?school?shit load of reading?
All of the above. My parents invested right and due to this they can afford college for me and my two younger brothers. I have some scholarships.

In high school I took some finance classes focusing solely on stocks. We played the stock simulators which I feel were a huge help at that time. At the end of HS I had pretty much quit smoking weed / drinking then and just grinded hard, saving up money in some legit and illegit ways. Besides education I pay all the other bills as I will do for my children if and when I do that. Because of this I have a pretty solid work ethic and I'm frugal with money. Then I got in some trouble and decided to focus on making $$$ totally legit. I had some stocks already but at that point and still I focus on distressed stocks that I think will eventually rebuild.

There's no secret to making money but like in any part of life KNOWLEDGE is incredibly important. Patience also, because the institutional investors will try to shake off small-timers by scaring them with price drops. You have to be rational about the situation but trust your own instincts ultimately. I don't watch TV about stocks as it seems pointless. I like Marketwatch and Investopedia because they contain hard data and the collective opinions of many, many people. One of the secrets to investing is to hold onto money when you make it and invest it so it grows into more money. Seems simple but lots of fools seem unable to do this.

And you asked how much I would recommend starting with... I think $500-$1000 as the first deposit is good, because a new investor can make mistakes. This is a good amount IMO because you can get a pretty safe stock and just hold it rather than buy something and try to flip stocks (more worth it with more $$$) which can be a dangerous thing to try.

You can really start with any amount. Just carve out part of your paycheck and when you have X amount of dollars (say 500) make a deposit. Keep adding to your positions.

And read unbiased / data-based financial news & a good paper e.g. The NY Times or WSJ

Don't ask people what stocks you should buy. That's how you lose. Ask about what techniques people use for picking stocks. What formulas for reading balance sheets, debt ratios, etc
Great advice

May 19, 2005
exactly what i wanted to hear,awesome response.
iv been doing alot of reading lately and should be in the mix soon,lookin into seminars and city college courses,jus to get another perspective on the market and economics.id like to give this thread major props for re-motivating me into being smart about my money and ultimately making my money work for me.look foward to comming back to this thread and see how it grows in the future

another quick Q.-even though you have money in a scottrade account,and potential making money,are you still putting a little money each month into your account ?

May 27, 2008
exactly what i wanted to hear,awesome response.
iv been doing alot of reading lately and should be in the mix soon,lookin into seminars and city college courses,jus to get another perspective on the market and economics.id like to give this thread major props for re-motivating me into being smart about my money and ultimately making my money work for me.look foward to comming back to this thread and see how it grows in the future

another quick Q.-even though you have money in a scottrade account,and potential making money,are you still putting a little money each month into your account ?
Yes, I usually put in MOST of one paycheck a month, then the other 2 I put a fraction in, and the last I devote solely to bills

But it changes month to month. As long as you put money in time to time feel good about it, you're building future wealth.

Sep 24, 2006
thanks i got about 200 put up now ima wait until i got 500 and then start some investments until then ima start copping the nytimes and maybe a wsj every now and then figure out what i think might be good and look into it. thanks for the help people