Stallworth let off easy for DUI manslaughter case...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 4, 2003
this court system is some bullshit... I fucked around n picked up some DUIs last year and am still dealin with all the consequences.. dude actually killed someone and all he gets is 30 days in jail?? they wanted to give me 6 months.. the court system is some bullshit

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail after pleading guilty in Florida to a DUI manslaughter charge.

The plea deal announced Tuesday calls for the 28-year-old Stallworth to also serve 10 years' probation and perform 1,000 community service hours for hitting and killing 59-year-old construction worker Mario Reyes with his car. Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement with the Reyes' family. A person close to the negotiations told The Association Press about the agreement on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the deal.

The person said the agreement will avoid a potential wrongful death lawsuit from Reyes' family.

Miami Beach police said Stallworth was drinking at the swank Fontainebleau hotel bar before the March 14 crash. He left to go to a nearby home -- he owns three properties in the Miami area -- in his black 2005 Bentley on MacArthur Causeway, which links the beach to downtown Miami.

Prosecutors say Stallworth hit Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift around 7:15 a.m. Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

A spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office said Reyes' family has been pushing hard to resolve the case.

"We have been in intense negotiations for the past couple of days," spokeswoman Terry Chavez said. "We always take the victim's wishes into account."

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida's .08 limit. Stallworth has also has cooperated with investigators and issued a statement shortly after the crash expressing sympathy for Reyes' family.

Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes. Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. He also has played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

The NFL has said it will review the matter for possible disciplinary action after the legal case is completed.

David Cornwell, a Stallworth attorney handling the NFL situation, said he has kept top league officials apprised of the case.

"Whenever it is appropriate to do so, we are prepared to discuss the circumstances under which Donte' will resume his career," Cornwell said.

Feb 14, 2009
Sure he got let off easy with only 30 days in jail. Who knows how much he settled for.10 years probation is a long time and he's bound to fucc up some where and end up doing hella time plus being suspended by the NFL and most likely getting cut.

Jan 4, 2003
Sure he got let off easy with only 30 days in jail. Who knows how much he settled for.10 years probation is a long time and he's bound to fucc up some where and end up doing hella time plus being suspended by the NFL and most likely getting cut.
with the moneys he got shit it dont even matter how much he settled for.. but yah 10 years probation is a long time, but the average joe woulda got 10+ years in prison with parole and everything when they got out..A lot of these athletes already got probation and still fuck up and get a slap on the wrist by the judge.. I aint hatin tho.. It jus goes to show you if you rich you gettin a slap on the wrist no matter how serious trouble you get in,, and if you just an average joe like my self your life is fucked...

But shit if Stallworth serves his 30 days before the season starts I can still see him being able to play.. maybe a few game suspension

May 2, 2002
who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.
They sort of glossed over this part...but this is why he will serve so little jail time.

Everyone thinks he hopped up on a sidewalk and started mowing people over.

Stallworth had no business driving drunk...but at the same time...this dude was trying to cross a divided expressway.

Apr 25, 2002
Justice always favors those in power.

Money is power.

Do the math.
And if you want the money and power, you have to work your ass off for it. In all reality, all of us could be more than your average Joe, but not everybody has the will to succeed.

Point being Stallworth is being let off easy because he put himself in a position to have leverage by working his ass off and becoming a known athlete. It's not right, but it is what it is.

If you don't like it, then do something to put yourself in the position of power that these athletes are in.

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
Damn, I would hire his Attorney with the quickness! I agree that the average everyday cat would get about 7-10 years, even more in some states. I'm not going to hate though, because we all know how this country works. The more money you can come up with the better off you will be. It's all wheelin' and dealin'...

Stallworth is human like the rest of us though. The fact that he killed someone on accident will fuck with him for the rest of his life. I know I wouldn't want to carry that baggage around with me. A lot of folks I've known who have killed someone by self-defense, accidents, drunk driving / manslaughter, etc. usually end up self medicating themselves and/or end seeking counseling...

It's a fucked up situation all the way around for both sides and families...

Dec 9, 2005
I was talking to my lawyer about this, and he said he got off so easy because of some particular law in Florida, that's actually a new law, believe it or not...that says that if the victim puts himself in the position where he can be hurt, then they can't put full responsibility on the responsible party.

Something to that effect.

But he did also get a lifetime driving suspension.

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
I wonder what form of entertainment has the most killers.......Professional Athletes or Rappers.....

Pro Athletes vs Rappers...Who has the most bodies.....
I know for football we have Ray Lewis and the new addition to the list Dante Stallworth.....Jason Williams (nets) murded the Limo Driver.........Who Else?

Jan 4, 2003
I was talking to my lawyer about this, and he said he got off so easy because of some particular law in Florida, that's actually a new law, believe it or not...that says that if the victim puts himself in the position where he can be hurt, then they can't put full responsibility on the responsible party.

Something to that effect.

But he did also get a lifetime driving suspension.
yah thats a trip...

and damn liftetime driving suspension?? in just FL or the entire country?? that sucks.. ehh wouldn't matter anyway.. when you stackin$$$$$ who needs a license?

Apr 25, 2002
A lot of folks I've known who have killed someone by self-defense, accidents, drunk driving / manslaughter, etc. usually end up self medicating themselves and/or end seeking counseling...
Damn, who the hell do you hang out with?

If I killed someone in self-defense or if I murdered somebody on purpose, I don't think it would bother me much because they probably had it coming, but if I killed someone on accident I'm pretty sure it would bother me because of the fact they never did anything to me. I don't know if I'd need counseling and I know for sure I wouldn't have to self-medicate to get over it, but I think it would definitely bother me. It all depends how strong your mind is.