SNOOP DOG CHANGES HIS NAME TO "SNOOP LION"??? WTF??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 19, 2004
SOUTHEAST DAGO
Snoop Lion explains name change, new focus

The artist we once knew solely as Snoop Dogg announced Monday that he's ready to leave his Doggy ways behind him as he focuses on creating reggae music under the name Snoop Lion.

"Rap is not a challenge to me," Snoop said Monday night at a press event in New York City, according to the Huffington Post.

"With no disrespect to other rappers, but they can't f*** with me in rap," he went on. "I've won every accolade you can get in rap, they call me 'Uncle Snoop' in rap. When you're an uncle, it's time to find something new ... I want to feel like a kid again."

The need to challenge himself seems to be part of the reason the legendary West Coast MC is releasing a reggae project called “Reincarnated" - just don’t look for him to rap on it.

"It's not that I want to become Snoop Dogg on a reggae track," Snoop said. "I want to bury Snoop Dogg, and become Snoop Lion. I didn't know that until I went to the temple, where the High Priest asked me what my name was, and I said, 'Snoop Dogg.' And he looked me in my eyes and said, 'No more. You are the light; you are the lion.' From that moment on, it's like I had started to understand why I was there."

Another reason he gave for his musical shift is a desire "to perform for kids and my grandmother, people around the world who really love me and can't really accept the music that I make," he told press. "This reggae music is music of love –happiness and sadness."

Snoop Lion’s debut single, “La La La,” is already out on iTunes.

Dec 25, 2003
Damn!! I mean?? Like when will he ever gonna stop??? I mean he hasnt dropped anything tight in many many years & all he can do now is come up with a corny gimmick alterego... Seriously guys; Snoopy Diddley Diddley is not just played out he way overplayed with all this dumbshit he still puttin out... He smoked out old & frail & always been droppin shit only for shit smokers...... He needs to hang it up now...

May 25, 2009
snoop lion just might pull this off! lol nah but for real a snoop reggae might be dope maybe him and quik can get together for tha bombudd 3?

[video=youtube;MTqyV5Kw9Ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTqyV5Kw9Ss[/video]

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Damn!! I mean?? Like when will he ever gonna stop??? I mean he hasnt dropped anything tight in many many years & all he can do now is come up with a corny gimmick alterego... Seriously guys; Snoopy Diddley Diddley is not just played out he way overplayed with all this dumbshit he still puttin out... He smoked out old & frail & always been droppin shit only for shit smokers...... He needs to hang it up now...
Snoop still drops good records, and in order to stay relevant he has to do some shit like that Nickelodeon Boy Band song etc.! I don't have to listen to all that shit, but I will listen to the tracks in between that are still tight.

Snoop is a real rap legend and I wouldn't care if he'd make a techno album. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd let the man do what he feels like doing...

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
at the end of the day bro i grew up listening to snoop dogg, and i can honestly say i look up to him in a hip hop mentor/west coast innovator kind of way. i ditched a class for the first time in my life to go to sam goodys and buy snoops first album. i had to hide the album from my moms bro cuz of all the bitches and hoes being talked about. that album and the chronic made me want to try to smoke weed for the first time. even with all the rappers on the east coast that i knew of before snoop that i had to look up to, chuck d, stetsasonic, snoop was perfect for my age range (born 1979), i mean my first west coast album i had was eazy e's album, first album i bought with my own money was dj quiks shit, but snoop, man i feel like i grew up watching him come out, dude was one of the first west coast gangsta artist i felt i could relate to, so ill always be a fan of snoop dogg, thats how i feel about that.

i thought the deep dover song was so ill, the interlude where mr big tries to get him to smoke crack at the table, fucking classic...i wont even go into all the classic moments...ill say this last one

SNOOP KICKED OVER NYC BUILDINGS DURING THE EAST/WEST BEEF ON VIDEO. AND THEN FLICKED HIS PERM. NEW YORK HAS NOT BEEN THE SAME SINCE SNOOP CRUSHED THE BUILDINGS.

+++ props for repping the west during a hostile time even if he fell back on it once he realized how volitile it was, tupac just didnt have that foresight imo or didnt care and was just gon ride cuz his beef was more street related than snoops was. i think east coast niggas liked snoop back then jsut didnt admit to it because of how shit was.

im not as quick to point the finger at snoop when he does something new that his core audience dosent feel. why should i be mad hes spreading his wings? i just peeped that documentary trailer two things that struck me is A) how sad he looked at nate doggs death and B) how happy he looked on stage with thousands of fans in unison waving their hands for him. what would those two things do to you as an artist? would you seek out more humble and respectable or righteous music as YOU got older? or would you continue to be fly crippin and pimping when you know at this point, youve made it in america and beat the fucking odds being a black man from cali? would your perception change after seeing that much of the world? would you want to do something positive so the future people whom follow in your footsteps dont continue down a negative path of rapping about drugs guns hoes and other shit kids shouldnt be tryna imitate or do anyway? id much rather kids be puttin reggae albums out than crip walking and trying to do murders and dope sales then talk about em on album cuz thats the way a real nigga raps...

im always gonna have a different opinion on niggas about snoop cuz real talk he'll always be one of my favorite rappers no matter what he puts out in the future. its just how it is. and im not asking anyone to follow in my footsteps but thats one of the FEW rappers i will stand behind. and for me its just timing..i grew up in the era he was doing his thing and as a west coast born and raised southern cali nigga man i take my hat off, and i can respect his past paving the way to a more positive future.

45park haha gas lion? i mean.....i always said when i get old enough im gonna say fuck rap and venture into smooth jazz/jazz/bebop... so maybe gas coltrane.... or kenny G aka kenny gas..get on my bill clinton saxaphone tip..shit we all make changes one thing snoop said that is alot like me is im ever evolving...next year i will not look the same, listen to the same music, dress the same, draw the same nor think the same...and ill never give a fuck about what the next man thinks of what i want to do...so i feel snoop on making his own transgression

snoops one of the only west coast rappers to make it to that high of a level where he can do whatever the fuck he wants and he has everyones attention at any given time. snoop get busted for pot and the shit goes in real newspapers. and no one cares were just like 'well hes snoop dogg..' its like willy nelson getting busted! hes at THAT level! what west coast rapper has made it there? no one! not even dr dre! MAYBE ice t but not even him!!

i DO kinda feel hes trolling islanders and reggae fans cuz he knows its a big untapped market and a easily selling one but im not gon hate till i have reason to and im not a hater so it may never happen..

i didnt talk shit about snoop putting out the country song, i liked 'beautiful' and i hate nerd and pharrel, to the point where..nah too personal and i dont wanna expose rich people who dont know me...but yeah...snoop to me is one person that cant do much wrong to me EVEN IF i dont like his album i will make myself understand it atleast

Jul 23, 2009
THE NAME CHANGE DONT MEAN HE SHOULD SIT WITH A STRANGE POSTURE, AS HE IS IN THE VIDEO IM JUST SAYIN...FAR AS CHANGE ITS A GOOD FOR HIM...RASTAFAREES WORSHIP GOD,,,THEY JUST LIKE TO SMOKE TREES