smith and poole

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MURK

Sicc OG
Oct 18, 2003
www.myspace.com
Posted on Wed, Feb. 04, 2004

Smith says Poole spit in his face
Panthers WR alleges incident in 3rd quarter
STAN OLSON
Staff Writer

HONOLULU - Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith said Tuesday that New England cornerback Tyrone Poole spit in his face in the third quarter of Sunday night's Super Bowl.

Smith, who has mentioned it the past two days on sports talk radio, confirmed it when reached at home. He said it happened in the third period of the Patriots' 32-29 victory.

"Yeah, he did it," Smith said. "I find that real cowardly."

Smith caught a 39-yard touchdown pass on Poole near the end of the second quarter and finished with four catches for 80 yards. He wasn't prepared for that reaction, which he said occurred as the Panthers prepared to punt midway through the period.

"It was one of those things where you don't know what to do," he said when asked how he responded. "You're just thinking, `This dude just spit in my face!' That's never happened to me before, not in college, not in junior college, not in high school, not in Pop Warner."

Poole, who played for the Panthers from 1995 through '97, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Sauerbrun: O'Brien returning

Carolina Panthers punter Todd Sauerbrun said there was one small silver lining in the Super Bowl loss.Special teams coach Scott O'Brien told the players repeatedly before the game he would retire if the Panthers won Sunday. There still is no official word from the team on O'Brien's status, but Sauerbrun said he'll take O'Brien at his word and expects him to return next season.

"I can't see him doing anything but coaching," Sauerbrun said before the NFC held its first Pro Bowl practice. "The guy was born with a whistle in his mouth. If there's such a thing as a Hall of Fame special teams coach, it's Scott O'Brien." ..........

Poole: I didn't spit on Smith
'Just got into a shouting match'
DAVID SCOTT
Staff Writer

Tyrone Poole

New England Patriots cornerback Tyrone Poole said he did not spit at the Carolina Panthers' Steve Smith in the third quarter of Sunday's Super Bowl.

"We just got into a shouting match, and you try to talk loud and saliva comes out of your mouth," Poole said after the game. "There was no spitting."

Smith said Poole, a former Panthers player, spit in is face during the third quarter of the Patriots' 32-29 victory. Smith had beaten Poole on a 39-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter.