Shred

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Anybody listen to shred? I've been listening to a little bit lately, specifically Marty Friedman, but also Yngwie Malmsteen and a few others. Anyone a fan or have suggestions?

SRD420

RAGE-REST-REPEAT
Oct 12, 2004
Minnesota
Yeah, I recommended them in a thread a while back. Friedman is my favorite, him and Jason Becker. You should check out Jason Becker, Steve Vai and Rusty Cooley.

May 9, 2002
You mean, Neo-classical metal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-classical_metal

The golden age of neo-classical metal was the late 80s with the many solo guitarists signed to Mike Varney's Shrapnel Records. Musicians like Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore, Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Joey Tafolla, David Chastain, Jason Becker, and Marty Friedman, were all part of the scene. Most of these musicians followed the format left by Yngwie Malmsteen in the early to mid 80s.

Recently, the genre has mostly been enjoyed by guitarists in more of an underground setting as the style is not well known outside of the realm of guitarists. Today, there are many more bands that contribute as a whole as opposed to solo musicians in the past. Some of today's notable neo-classical metal performers are Michael Angelo Batio, Joe Stump, David Valdes, Symphony X, Stratovarius, and Warmen. Even more recently there has been a sudden burst of slight neo-classical influence within mainstream metal acts such as Children of Bodom, Between the Buried and Me, The Human Abstract, and Protest the Hero.

May 15, 2002
I suppose so, but shred is a more concise term. For example, you can be thrash metal and still incorporate shredding. But yeah, more often than not they end up in the neo-classical category.