Shooting in San Mateo

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
Shit like this doesnt happen much around here, especially on the west of el camino.

SAN MATEO -- A gun battle today between San Mateo police and an intruder who had broken into a home ended with the suspect shot to death and a female resident mortally wounded as she passed her small children to officers through a window, authorities said.

San Mateo police investigate a shooting at 29 Hobart Ave

"We are shocked by this brazen and violent act," said Deputy Police Chief Mike Callagy.

The dramatic series of events unfolded beginning around 9:30 a.m. on Hobart Avenue in the city's downtown, Callagy said. Police received a call from a man who told them his wife had sent him a text message that there was a gun-wielding intruder in their home and that she was being robbed.

Officers who responded found that the woman had barricaded herself in a bedroom in the home, with the intruder still inside the house, Callagy said. Spotting the gunman, officers ordered the man to come outside, but he refused.

Ken Antrobus, a neighbor who was watching from across the street, said he had seen several officers with guns drawn negotiating with the man.

"(They said) come to the front door, come out and no one will get hurt," Antrobus said.

At some point, the woman made contact with police and said the gunman was breaking into the room and she wanted to get her children out of the house, Callagy said. SWAT officers were able to get close enough that the woman began passing her children, ages 1 and 3, out the window to police, he said.

"The suspect opened fire as she was handing the children out the window to our officers," Callagy said. "SWAT officers used heroic efforts to make sure those kids got out of there safe."

Anthony Peterson, a real estate agent who was watching with co-workers from their nearby office, said, "I saw two kids. They were babies. ... (Officers) brought them over to some cars in safety and checked them over. They seemed fine physically."

He and Antrobus said police had fired about a dozen shots at the suspected intruder.

The woman was wounded in the gunfire, possibly by a bullet shot through the wall into her barricaded sanctuary, Callagy said. She was taken to Stanford Hospital, where she died.

The suspect was found dead, though investigators do not know if he was shot by police, Callagy said. Neither his nor the woman's name has been released.

The investigation continues into the circumstances of the shooting.

Link to the story and raw footage of the shooting:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/25/MN0U14C53M.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Dec 30, 2003
that lady (that got killed) was a friend of my roomates... pretty sad seein her cry today... rip to her.... i hate people that commit senseless crimes....

Mar 4, 2007
shit i was around that area at the time shit was fuckn insane closed down all the street all the news people there and shit..but yeah it is a stupid move on that dudes part fuckn tard and good the kids got saved but sad bout the mom and fuck that dude

Mar 27, 2006
Shooting at a women and kids. You cannot get more fuckin cowardly than that. Fuckin chump. Rest in peace to the brave heroic women. And rest in piss to that fuckin coward.

A hero only dies once, a coward dies a million deaths.

Jan 5, 2006
the link to the video is also in the article i posted, this one is better though you can see closer up in the zoom in.

i wonder what kind of heat they were using.. you could hear the bullets piercing the air.. either that or it was the silencers.

Dec 17, 2004
san mateo doesnt seem like the type of place for shit like that. i used to visit a friend who lived there. neighbors with jt snow. i always knew hella wine with zoloft and prozac went down over there but not shoot outs