"Shooting due to Outside of Scheduling of Gangmembers as headliners"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 24, 2003
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/feb/18/blurt4/

Back to the Urban Underground
By Jay Allen Sanford | Published Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009

“The shooting that happened at Static Lounge during the DayGo Unity event last summer was due to the outside scheduling of gang members as headliners,” says local promoter Jimmy Powers. “It resulted in [Static Lounge] canceling the Urban Underground Weekly, which provided an 18-and-up hip-hop event every Thursday.”

An off-duty police officer working security was shot in the neck in front of downtown’s Static Lounge on August 7, 2008, during a multiband hip-hop event. According to Powers, “After I talked for months with JiJi Strong, the promoter and organizer of Urban Underground, I finally convinced her to come back to San Diego once a month at 710 Beach Club in P.B.

“These shows will give the opportunity for local hip-hop groups to open for nationally known headliners at ticket presale quotas well below those offered by companies such as Los Angeles–based Sean Healy [Presents], who routinely makes openers at Canes sell $1000 to $2000 worth of presale tickets to ensure the highest achievable profit by taking advantage of the ambition of local artists.”

While Sean Healy Presents did not respond to email requests, its website states, “We do expect each act to bring a minimum amount of people to any SHP gig. Once you have met the minimum booking requirements, you go into the pay-scale portion of your door receipts.”

Powers says the monthly 710 Beach Club events will require locals to provide only $200 in ticket sales. “Our structure calls for openers to be given 40 tickets with a $12 face value. They’re allowed to keep the extra $280 for their work if they happen to sell all 40 tickets. This ensures we’re able to cover the overhead and cost of the headliner.”

JiJi Strong: “At first we were reluctant to come back to SD after the horrible shooting that went down back in August 2008. But we knew it was not our crowd that caused the shooting. Urban Underground promotes peace and unity and is in no way gang affiliated. We have been doing shows every Friday in L.A. for three years and never had a fight or shooting. Now we’re much more careful about the artists we are booking in SD. We make sure to screen new artists to make sure they are not gang affiliated.

“We are very excited to be back in town; however, we are facing problems with the new venue. They canceled our March 19 show with Large Professor because our first show with C Rayz Walz on January 29 did not result in high bar sales. The in-house promoter said the management at 710 Beach Club is reluctant to book hip-hop because the crowd doesn’t drink! They may give us more shows, depending on how February 19 goes.

“Our hope is that everyone will come out to support the show on February 19 with Lil Dap so that we may continue doing at least a monthly — if not another weekly — in San Diego.”

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
JiJi Strong: “ But we knew it was not our crowd that caused the shooting. Urban Underground promotes peace and unity and is in no way gang affiliated. We have been doing shows every Friday in L.A. for three years and never had a fight or shooting. Now we’re much more careful about the artists we are booking in SD. We make sure to screen new artists to make sure they are not gang affiliated.
I might come shoot that shit up just cause you said that. If the homies aint performing then no one is.

Oct 26, 2006
WWW.DAGOSD.COM
ITS ALL GOOD DAGO.. YALL STILL GOT ME TO BOOK THE O.G.'S I WILL CONTINUE TO GIVE YALL THE GANGSTAS YALL WANNA SEE LIVE. EVERY SHOW I'VE BOOK HAS BEEN FUNK FREE. PEOPLE JUST CANT BE MIXING RIVAL SETS UP IN THESE TYPE OF SHOWS. I WISH WE COULD DO A MITCH/JAYO SHOW, BUT THAT JUST AINT HAPPENING. CERTAIN BLUES AND REDS CAN CO EXIST ON THE SAME BILL, BUT FOR THE MOST PART THATS A BIG NO NO. AND 50.. U A FOO FOR THAT COMMENT UP THERE..LOL!

Apr 26, 2006
The Static Lounge is pretty garbage and it's away from the heart of the gaslamp. It's a shitty location.

Are dress codes enforced there? From what I've seen, that club lacks class.

Jul 10, 2007
www.facebook.com
Interesting...... The shooting wasn't even gang related....... But its bullshit like that that fux it off for the rest off us..... Daygo Rap is SOUTHEAST and if it isn't southeast it damn sho is SouthEast influenced. We just need to get it right, we tryin tho. Just one bad seed pulls everyone down. I hope m/f's learned... as far as the show bookings, I'm still bookin the Cherry Chucks, tha Cee Wee's, tha Googs, and every otha mutha fucka REALLY tryna do this musik and better themselves and tha city scene. I just wont book em all at the same time...lol

AND FOR THE RECORD FUCK THE STATIC LOUNGE, & FUCK DANNY PUNK AZZ KUZ HE WAS TREATIN EVERYONE LIKE KRAP ANY FUCKIN WAY....

Dec 24, 2003
I'm still bookin the Cherry Chucks, tha Cee Wee's, tha Googs, and every otha mutha fucka REALLY tryna do this musik and better themselves and tha city scene. I just wont book em all at the same time...lol
Hahahahahaha....thats Right!!! Keep Grindin Kayo!! Aint no harm in tryin to do the right thang.

Dec 19, 2006
"DO THE RIGHT......THAAAAAAAANG.....DO THE RIGHT THAANG"
" Do the right thang, not talkin about a Black or White thang"
Cause that would cause problems..............
I forgot the rest.
LOL! 50 you a fool. You didn't just bust out the Big Bub lyrics did you?

Oct 26, 2006
WWW.DAGOSD.COM
Interesting...... The shooting wasn't even gang related....... But its bullshit like that that fux it off for the rest off us..... Daygo Rap is SOUTHEAST and if it isn't southeast it damn sho is SouthEast influenced. We just need to get it right, we tryin tho. Just one bad seed pulls everyone down. I hope m/f's learned... as far as the show bookings, I'm still bookin the Cherry Chucks, tha Cee Wee's, tha Googs, and every otha mutha fucka REALLY tryna do this musik and better themselves and tha city scene. I just wont book em all at the same time...lol
THATS REAL SPIT HOMIE. ME AND U NEED TO PLAN A SMASHIN ASS SHOW TOGETHER SOON. NEXT MONTH IS ALL OPEN TO ME CUZZIN.

Jul 10, 2007
www.facebook.com
@ Chrymes,

I'ma start bookin shows again after June. Tryna drop this album and all my time, energy, and finances are on that, but that dont mean we kant start planning... hit me... and I'm ALWAYZ open to help promote and possibly open......