SHOGUN AGREES TO MACHIDA BOUT, IN PRINCIPLE

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has in principle accepted a bout with new light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, MMAWeekly.com has learned from sources close to negotiations.

Though a concrete date for the fight could not be confirmed, and Machida’s management could not be reached at the time of this writing, sources say it would likely take place in October or November.

In a conference call Thursday announcing the season 10 coaches of “The Ultimate Fighter,” UFC president Dana White said he was in the process of finding Machida’s next opponent, once thought to be former champion Quinton Jackson. Jackson took one of the coaching slots for the reality show, while recently deposed champ Rashad Evans took the other. The two will likely face each other at the conclusion of the show, expected for UFC 103 on Sept. 26.

“(Machida) will fight,” said White. “We're working on it right now. As soon as it's signed, I'll announce it... which I'm hoping will be today or tomorrow.”

Asked whether Machida would headline UFC 103, White responded, “that’s not true.”

At the post-fight press conference for UFC 98, Machida said he would take a short vacation and return to training. Manager Ed Soares earlier told MMAWeekly that the new champion would like another fight before the end of 2009.

Rua is coming off a devastating stoppage of former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell at UFC 97. The performance was a stark turnaround from two lackluster performances at UFC 76 and UFC 93, which “Shogun” attributed to unfocused training camps and a persistent knee injury.

Rua recently praised Machida’s performance and expressed his desire to face the undefeated fighter in an interview with tatame.com.

“Lyoto was phenomenal, beat Rashad and proved he’s the best of this division,” said Rua. “I’d love to (fight him), he’s a top guy. I wanna fight the best.”

May 27, 2009
Shogun would get crushed. Even with a win over Chuck, all I can remember is his weak performance against Mark Coleman. I don't think he deserves a title shot, but if they need to feed Machida some meat, it might as well be Shogun.

Actually, I can't think of anyone who would be likely to beat Machida. As a huge Rampage fan, I'd like to say Rampage has a good shot at winning, but I don't see that happening.

May 10, 2002
The UFC LHW division is a 4-man dance now, huh?

Machida
Rampage
Shogun
Evans

Am I forgetting anybody?

I don't really count Griffin because I'm not sure of the implications a loss to Anderson Silva will have. I still don't think Rashad is an elite fighter yet, but he did a good job working his way into the mix there. Rashad might not get another win for a while

May 27, 2009

Machida
Rampage
Shogun
Evans

Am I forgetting anybody?
Well... yeah that's pretty much it. I was going to bring up Hendo and Wanderlei Silva, but both are pretty much past their prime and I doubt either will even get close to a title shot.

Suddenly LHW seems to be lacking in contenders.

Speaking of Wanderlei, I got my tickets for 99, shit's gonna be dope.

Jan 18, 2006
I didnt think this fight would happen this quick, im surprised. Shogun actually has a pretty legit shot against Machida. Im gonna go with Shogun in the upset

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm

Machida
Rampage
Shogun
Evans

Am I forgetting anybody?

I don't really count Griffin because I'm not sure of the implications a loss to Anderson Silva will have. I still don't think Rashad is an elite fighter yet, but he did a good job working his way into the mix there. Rashad might not get another win for a while
Yeah, the division's really thinned out recently. Banha Cane's lurking about but needs a big win, Rich lost to Hendo, Wand's dropping down, Bones and Bader are still too green, a lot of people coming off losses... At 102 we get Jardine vs. Thiago Silva and Hamill vs. Vera, that might help a little.

Jan 2, 2004
I think Machida will smash Shogun.. And probably everybody in the division.. However, I get a feeling that Jardine could provide problems for him..

I think Griffin could too, but I'm not sure if these guys will ever do anything that warrants a title shot.. Maybe if Griffin beats Rampage in a rematch after Rampage loses to Machida or Evans..

Jan 10, 2008
I dont see either Rampage or Shogun Beating Machida to be honest. I think it will have to be one of the youngsters coming up but not for awhile.

Feb 7, 2006
Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua confirmed for UFC 104

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has been able to confirm that Lyoto Machida’s first title defense will come against none other than Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Sources close to the fight have confirmed with FiveOuncesOfPain.com that the championship match up will go down in Los Angeles, California at UFC 104.

Machida recently knocked out Rashad Evans in devastating fashion at UFC 98 to capture the light heavyweight championship. He has yet to suffer a defeat in his mixed martial arts career.

Rua is fresh off of one of the most impressive performances of his career as he recently TKO’d former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell in the first round of their UFC 97 bout.