Shipping Without The Jewel Cases?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 28, 2002
www.cashflow420.com
I've had several people ask me to ship without the jewel cases to save money on shipping, but in the end its way more work for me, so I decided not to offer it anymore. What are your thoughts about it? As an eBay seller do you offer this service?

What spurred me to write this was just today I had a guy flat out say in my questions to to seller section "People usually charge $10-$12 for 4 CDs to the uk without the cases. Either sent padded envelop or cd sized box. Not a problem I won't bother bidding. Thanks anyway"

You can see it for yourself here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370409071594

Jan 6, 2003
I don't think $6 for shipping from the US to Europe is much. If I was to send a CD to you I'd have to pay between $6-10 plus a padded envelope. I guess the buyer planned to bid on multiple auctions. Maybe you lost a customer that would have increased bids, maybe you didn't at all. It's all about time consumption and convenience. But also, it is a matter of customs. If the CD is shipped without the jewel case it may look like a regular letter and not a CD...... some buyers prefer that if they order stuff that costs a lot.

I've had a couple of CDs shipped to me without jewel cases and yes it saves me petty cash but then again I have to deal with bent cover art and torn cover spines so I don't prefer shipping like that. Secondspin only ship without jewel cases internationally and they fuck up the cover art like that.

Jun 24, 2006
I don't do it. And wouldn't do it. I really don't compromise when it comes to shit like that. Just like if you can't pay in 5 days, you get blocked from my bids. Its simple instructions. If you can't follow it, I'm not going to do business with you. If you do business with me i guarantee you will be happy, I ship fast, and usually give you free shit, hell I used to send a free cd whether you were in the US or international, now I just send it in the US like that. If your not happy with my service I will block you so you don't accidently bid on my auctions again, I don't play with this shit, its just spending money to me anyway.

YOUNGNUTT

I'm so O.C.
Jul 9, 2002
Santa Ana to Long Beach
WHY WOULD YOU EVEN OFFER THAT???

YOU WOULDN'T ASK MCDONALDS TO SELL YOU A
CHEESEBERGUR WITHOUT THE WRAPP'N' PAPER, TO SAVE 15 CENTS!!!

FUCC BEND'N' THE STANDARD FOR SOME CHEAP BASTARDS!!!

TELL THEM, "YOU DON'T LIE, YOU DON'T BUY"!!!

Jan 27, 2006
if im buying in bulk then i ask the seller to take out the cases because it saves me money! I have requested this lots of times and every time all cds have arrived safely with no damage.

One time I bought like 40 cds and he put them in a wallet for free i didnt expect the wallet which was a cool gesture.

Apr 26, 2010
thats a good way to have cds brake or covers get bent , i would not ask for it or offer it , it is not cheap to send overseas and can be time consuming , if they do not want the jewel cases then make them pay for insurance or they can take there business elsewhere , we are talking about rare cds so this is not stuff you can just pick up anywhere , stuff like this is ebays fault , they made it a buyer controlled market , you don't get discounts for holding veggies on burger , or bringing your own cup and plate when you eat at a restaurant , and if you asked for it they would laugh in your face

Jan 6, 2003
we are talking about rare cds so this is not stuff you can just pick up anywhere , stuff like this is ebays fault , they made it a buyer controlled market , you don't get discounts for holding veggies on burger , or bringing your own cup and plate when you eat at a restaurant , and if you asked for it they would laugh in your face
you're taking it too far. the whole point is that shipping rates are based on weight and if you're solely looking at shipping rates,the jewel case makes up the most of the weight. the price of a burger is a complete package, not based on weight, LOL. I can see the point on saving on shipping by removing the jewel case, not on shipping on one CD but if you're buying a bulk of 5-10+++ CDs.

If you as a seller would accept that that's another case. your shipping rates should cover the actual shipping, envelope, gas, time etc etc. If you offer a plastic-free shipping and the buyer wants shipping without the jewel case make sure the buyer knows the risk. To be honest I don't see how it could cause that much problems. It's not a very hard or thorough extra work to place the CD and the cover art between two pieces of cardboard. The plastic jewel case may also get crushed during shipping and I've experienced smashed jewel cases destroying both a CD and the cover art. Regular shipping is a risk no matter if the jewel case is removed or not because the whole post system treat packages like footballs during its travel

Jan 6, 2003
I can't see the logic in charging extra tax for free stuff. If there is a certain value to a package it's the total value for all CDs and not the written value x CDs. Damn, those custom rules....