SERIOUS SUGGESTION

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 17, 2003
I JUST THOUGHT I'D PUT THIS OUT THERE...SINCE NOBODY IS REALLY 2 SUCCESSFUL WITH THESE INDEPENDENT LABELS MAYBE
MF'S SHOULD TRY 2 COME TOGETHER & BUILD ONE BIG LABEL OR INSTEAD OF WASTING BREAD & TIME TRYING 2 START A FOUNDATION FROM THE GROUND UP TRY 2 CONNECT WITH A LABEL/GROUP/ARTIST THAT ALREADY HAS A NAME 4 THEMSELVES..THAT'S HOW THESE BIG COMPANIES DO IT..& PERSONALLY I DON'T THINK ANYBODY IS GOING 2 COP FROM ALL THESE DAMN LABELS..IT'S 2 MUCH GOIN ON...WHATEVER THE TOP 5 LABELS ARE SHOULD NETWORK WITH SOME OTHER CATS & PUT THEM ON..I'M SURE IT COULD HAPPEN..LIKE HAVE A FAMILY OF BIG G'S LIL G'S...THEN MAYBE SOME ALBUMS COULD GET SOLD...I MEAN SOME CATS HAVE NAMES & IF THEY WERE 2 PRESENT SOME OF YOU LESSER KNOWN ARTISTS IT WOULD WORK BETTER..

Jan 22, 2003
My Thoughts

Tay, I hope that you will let me give my thoughts on this matter, I hope that they are welcome here.
I can't see that happening for a few reasons, the #1 reason being MONEY, no one in this BAY AREA rap business that owns a label would be fair and be willing to split the money equally.
Another reason would be that California Independent Distributors wouldn't let it happen because if all the top labels merged together then all the power would fall under "1" Distributor and all the other ones including One Stops would lose out on Money, so they would make sure that the togetherness didn't last long, And there is NO WAY that any Major Label would give any of the Bay Area or Sacramento artists or Record Company's a "fair" Press, Distribute and Marketing deal (except for Brotha Lynch Hung as an artist deal, he just needs the right person shopping the deal).
Need another reason? Well here is one anyway, Tay you know that most of the Independent Record Company CEO's within the Bay Area and Sacarmento are BIG HEADED cats, and when younger less established talent comes at them regardless if they have talent or not they tend to brush them off, and that will cause them to do it themselves and once again clog up the Bay Area rap scene. That is what happend in the first place and I don't see it stopping anytime soon because most of the music buying public within the Bay Area these days don't REALLY KNOW what GOOD QUALITY music is, so these Independent Artists can put out a cd that shouldn't sell a single copy and end up selling enough copies to make enough money to release another album, and the cycle keeps going on. The fans have NO SOUL (Tay you know what I mean by NO SOUL,) so they don't know any better.
Well those are just my "THOUGHTS", so hey I may be wrong.
Tay, I wish you the very best in your Business endevors, they say that the cream always rises to the top.

Apr 25, 2002
@ TAY

JT THE BIGGA FIGGA claims his book will help people start more independent labels the right way with little to no start up $$$. So what do you think of that?

Apr 25, 2002
Thats a good Ideal Tay but then you gotta think about all them niggas that want to be greedy and want to take control of everything but if you get the right people it would work for sho......

Jun 22, 2002
www.theregime.cjb.net
I agree to an extent.
But the thing is ... it's not only the artists. It's the entire mentality of consumers.

All of yall can come 2gether and make a great album but you're forgetting that the majority of sales comes from white suburbian teenage girls. They dont wanna hear no gangsta shit.
Also, a lot of them only listen to whats hot on the radio. You aint gonna hear no Bo Loco or Killa Tay on the radio through-out America. Unless yall become White with blue eyes.
That's one problem.

Other problem is that even tho a lot of niggaz wanna hear West Coast rap, mothafuckers aint buyin it. Never have and prob never will.
Gangsta rap is goin downhill. The attention for it at least. What people want now is R&B, Rap and Bullshit.
Like Ja Rule. RnB beats and the dude singin to it. The girls buyin his shit think he's hot, he got a hot body, he got Ashanti singin a lil hook etc etc.
Look at Death Row Records. They was hot as fuck back in the day. Everyone was bumpin Dre, Snoop, Pac, Dogg Pound ... rap's changing. Hip Hop's changing. Shit has turned into POP music, people losin values. I know a lot of rappers need to get their DOUGH, but u cant be in the rap game simply for the money and them complain when u aint gettin it.

Killa Tay, you can't blaim it on yall selves. It's a lot of factors, a lot of playahating. Rap sales have decreased but it don't show cuz Ja Rule is sellin big numbers, Nelly is sellin big numbers, Eminem is sellin big numbers (Eminem is the only person on TOP with SKILLS and that's only cuz he's White, which he knows.)
It's the INDUSTRY fuckin up, it's Rap turning into R&B and POP. It's loss of value.
You're right, it's also lack of unity but realistically seen ... even with that unity, shit ain't gone sell like it should.
Before artists can sell like they should, bases on QUALITY music and skills, the problems of the industry need to be gotten rid of ... but they won't.
I refuse to believe that rap is a burning airplane headin for the ground (like Chuck D said) but my belief is startin to crumble..

Jun 22, 2002
www.theregime.cjb.net
I agree to an extent.
But the thing is ... it's not only the artists. It's the entire mentality of consumers.

All of yall can come 2gether and make a great album but you're forgetting that the majority of sales comes from white suburbian teenage girls. They dont wanna hear no gangsta shit.
Also, a lot of them only listen to whats hot on the radio. You aint gonna hear no Bo Loco or Killa Tay on the radio through-out America. Unless yall become White with blue eyes.
That's one problem.

Other problem is that even tho a lot of niggaz wanna hear West Coast rap, mothafuckers aint buyin it. Never have and prob never will.
Gangsta rap is goin downhill. The attention for it at least. What people want now is R&B, Rap and Bullshit.
Like Ja Rule. RnB beats and the dude singin to it. The girls buyin his shit think he's hot, he got a hot body, he got Ashanti singin a lil hook etc etc.
Look at Death Row Records. They was hot as fuck back in the day. Everyone was bumpin Dre, Snoop, Pac, Dogg Pound ... rap's changing. Hip Hop's changing. Shit has turned into POP music, people losin values. I know a lot of rappers need to get their DOUGH, but u cant be in the rap game simply for the money and them complain when u aint gettin it.

Killa Tay, you can't blaim it on yall selves. It's a lot of factors, a lot of playahating. Rap sales have decreased but it don't show cuz Ja Rule is sellin big numbers, Nelly is sellin big numbers, Eminem is sellin big numbers (Eminem is the only person on TOP with SKILLS and that's only cuz he's White, which he knows.)
It's the INDUSTRY fuckin up, it's Rap turning into R&B and POP. It's loss of value.
You're right, it's also lack of unity but realistically seen ... even with that unity, shit ain't gone sell like it should.
Before artists can sell like they should, bases on QUALITY music and skills, the problems of the industry need to be gotten rid of ... but they won't.
I refuse to believe that rap is a burning airplane headin for the ground (like Chuck D said) but my belief is startin to crumble..

Feb 17, 2003
DID Y'ALL EVER THINK OF IT LIKE THIS..AS FAR AS MAJORS GO THEY ARE ALWAYS GOING 2 HAVE GOOD NUMBERS BUT MAYBE THEY ARE JUST NUMBERS..NOT HATIN' BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK NELLY SOLD 10 MIL..THAT'S A LOT OF RECORDS..OR MAYBE THE BIG BOYS IN THE INDUSTRY SAY WE WANT NELLY 2 BE THE MAN RIGHT NOW SO WE ARE GOING 2 KEEP HIM ON TV & THE RADIO & CRAM HIM DOWN EVERYBODY'S THROAT TIL THEY BELIEVE HE IS THE ONE...THE UNDERGROUND THAT SUPPORTS US DON'T REALLY BUY THAT KIND OF MUSIC BUT THE SALES ARE SKY HIGH..I NEVER BOUGHT IT PERSONALLY & NEITHER HAVE ANY OF MY FOLKS BUT THEY ARE IN..LIKE BACC IN THE DAYS HOW THEY WERE SAYING MASTER P WAS BUYING HIS OWN ALBUMS & SAYING THEY WENT PLATINUM THE FIRST WEEK..IF ONE OF US HAD A MILLION DOLLARS WE COULD BLOW OURSELVES LIKE THAT..IT'S NOT HARD.WE STAYED UNDERGROUND 4 A REASON..I DON'T WANT 2 LOSE MY REAL FANS WHO DO SUPPORT ME..JUST CUZ PEOPLE BUY YOUR ALBUMS DON'T MEAN THEY SUPPORT YOU..LIKE Y'ALL SAID,THE RICH TEENAGE GIRLS CAN PROBABLY HAVE EVERY ALBUM THEY WANT BUT THE AVERAGE MINORITY KID IS ONLY GOING 2 BE ABLE 2 GET 1 CD AT A TIME OR SO...I FEEL TV DICTATES WHAT IS GOING 2 BLOW & WHAT'S NOT

Jun 22, 2002
www.theregime.cjb.net
Killa Tay:

Yea that's one of the problems. It's like a monopoly situation. I know a few songs I hated but it got played so fuckin much that I'm actually feelin them.

But that's my point ... it aint the artists fault a lot of the time.

Jan 20, 2003
www.WarMusicc.2ya.com
@ TAY

yea man im feeln that..but as i ce it tryna come up not 2 many muthafuccaz ce u atall...muthafuccaz figure try 2 do it on they own..which eventually gits them no where...ive started an indee label and ive got shiit so far..but i would be willn 2 connect wit other labels 2 form 1 BIGG label..but its also like 92live said..alotta catz wouldnt be fair wit profits and shiit cuzz eventually the moneys gonna git 2 every1 and turn people greedy...but yea it iz a good idea...i juss think ud need sum1 BIGGER 2 start the BIGG label ya feel me?..cuzz that way u gotta vet doin shiit and shiit will be equal and fair 4 every1...

thass my opinion...

Kp

Sicc OG
Oct 29, 2002
www.tootiterecords.com
@ Tay

That's EXACTLY what the Bay needs to do. Except for a few minor problems:

No labels give artists the chance

The independent labels are always so worried about their projects that they don't have time to look for more talent, or network like they should.

No labels have the nuts

I doubt you could get those top five labels to agree on something that large in proportion. It would change the game totally in the bay area if that happenned.

And personally, I don't think labels would want to do that. Profits would be split, responsibilities would have to be shared...But I think that that is the shit that needs to happen. I would have wrather gotten signed to some kind of a deal, but I couldn't, no labels around here would give me a chance. So what did I do? I added to the mayhem and started my own shit. This business out here is cuthroat and if you ain't a guerilla you won't survive. Right now everyone is fighting for the crown except there's no crown to take right now. I feel what you're sayen. I wish I had more of a voice cause I would holla wit you. one

KP

Feb 23, 2003
I THINK YOU ALL ARE ON THE RIGHT PAGE ON THIS TOPIC....
ALL OF YOU MADE GOOD POINTS ME I'M NOT SURE IF THAT WOULD WORK OR NOT.....

MrWB

Sicc OG
Mar 29, 2003
Killa Tay, you said that maybe those selling numbers are just numbers put there by some fools who wanna decide whos the big star of the moment. Thats not whats happening (why would they want 2pac to be a big star in 95) and about master p, if you buy your own records, wouldnt that cost you more than it would raise?

But I like the idea of 1 big label, what do you think about Tha Row? I dont know whats the situation with everybody getting pissed at suge after leaving (except Kurupt) but that could be an option. I think yall do have enough talent to make a hit song thats gonna get played on mtv and shit. You know, make a real bangin club song, or maybe a diss, thats what the people out there like the most I think, club songs or disses... I mean, Im pretty much the only one of my friends that listens to your music, but whenever I let em listen, they love it. Its just that they never heard about it you know?

Apr 11, 2003
Broadbeach, AUSTRALIA
Killa Tay... here's a breakdown

I've read a lotta posts about you discussing West Coast's drop in sales and possible solutions.

The thing is, what sells within the market is what there is a demand for. Now all successful businessppl look at the market, they have a good eye to find a DEMAND that hasn't been SUPPLIED and then they deliver the product to satisfy that demand.

Now what you're talking about is that you first invent the product and then try to force feed it to the market. YOu can't make sales before you look at what the majority of hip hop listeners want. And right now they want pop sounding rap. Thats true. I dpnt like Ja Rule or Ashanti or Britney Spears or Nelly. But the majority of the people DO and they make up the market and they hold the purchasing power that will make or brake and artists.

I am a strong fan of yours. But the west coast underground style isnt what sells on a large commercial scale.

You think that CEO's and managers dont have ears for bay area underground music??? Ofcourse they do, I bet every major CEO and pop star manager has heard C-BO's albums, your Albums etc etc. Every large media company has departments whose only job is to go and look for new possible artists. IF they decide you are profitable on a commercial scale they would have hollad at you by now, or any underground bay area rappers making noise over the last 10 years for that matter.

So the only real solution if you wanna get major sales is to change to what the market demands. And that means pop shit, and dancing in your videos. Its sad, but its true. Now I'm not suggesting that you should, but i'm just bringing this to your view.

At the end of they day its a business, a huge business, and nobody gives two fucks about 'he's real, lets support him for Bay area love' if the artist isn't positivly correlated with the market he has no future. You will never beat the market, its stronger than any company/institution.

Just my point of view on the issue, Holla

just another thing:

MTV BET showcases what there is the biggest demand for. Therefore, if you wanna make it big in music this should be your benchmark. If you make the sort of music that doesnt get showcased on MTV/BET then you're not what people want on a commercial scale. And commercial shit is where the money is that you're talking about.

May 11, 2002
Well this Is how I see it. Its gonna be the content of your rap. I mean listen to what the top sellers are rapping about. It sure isnt my gang this your gang that. If your worried about being a sell out then you can be a sellout with six zeros in your bank. Shit you just need to make 1 radio song at least. I mean damn. Also looks is gonna play a major part. If your shit is hurt then chances are the white girls arent gonna buy your shit. It just works like that. Shit my dads friend at work started up a tv show called BAYTOWNE, its a early CMC format. Maybe I can talk to him about gettin some of your vids, clean content to him and you get some air time...