Selling out.. (artists peep and leave thoughts)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

eMDe

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I learn more and more everday that the music business IS IN FACT A BUSINESS.
I'm starting to feel might be too loyal to become successfull in the music bus.

Let me know where everyone else stands, no bias against those who would sell out, im just curious..

1) If the opurtunity came where you would be able to sell out but in return you had to leave your folks behind would you do it?

2) Would you sell out and do songs with big name rappers (not necesarily ones you like) even if it meant dropping your homies off the album?

3)Would you PAY for artists you dont generally listen to or like?

4)Would you brake promisses if it meant gaining success?

eMDe

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
1) I will NOT leave my folks out of the light. If i blow up MY FOLKS DO TOO.
2) I would collaborate with artists i dont really like, BUT I am a man of my word even if it means holding me back, so I wouldnt cut anyone off that i had put in work to be on my project.
3) NO.
4) NO.

Jun 11, 2002
1) Its hard to leave folks behind. if i were to blow up, I would do anything in and everything in my power to take them along for the ride. but you should ask what if one of your folks is str8 garbage on wax???? will you be dragged down cuz every track he spits on is a flop???

2)If they sound good with the track im workin on they more then welcome. Jus cuz you got someone on your track don't neccisarily mean your folks......can thangs be strictly busness now a dayz???

3) like i said b-4. if it sounds good and its worth the money, then yes. my focus point is on how good thangs go on shit im workin on in the lab. I wouldn't have n'sync or britney spears on a track called "i kill hoes....how bout you??" it would be str8 selling out to pretend that somthing sounds good when you know damn well you did it jus for the hype. runnin on somone elses fame is gay.

4) depends. what if you were bout to do a track with ludacris but a week before, he got caught with a transexual stripper in the back of an escalade. your persona itself would be at stake. bottom line is......DON'T make promises when it comes to buisness.

eMDe

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Good reply dog.. I feel what your saying.
What i meant by FOLKS is homies you grew up with doing this rap shit.. not necesarily dudes you met on the internet or at a club and said you'd do a track with.

It might be different for me but my label is my homeboys who i grew up with and we all been flowing togiether just as we did dirt and kicked it togiether.

M

MURDA_MINDED

eMDe said:
Good reply dog.. I feel what your saying.
What i meant by FOLKS is homies you grew up with doing this rap shit.. not necesarily dudes you met on the internet or at a club and said you'd do a track with.

It might be different for me but my label is my homeboys who i grew up with and we all been flowing togiether just as we did dirt and kicked it togiether.
......................................................STAY TRU TO THE HOMIES, 1ST AND FOREMOST..............THEY THE RILLA'Z AND THEY THE ONEZ WHO GOT YOUR BACK...........WHEN THE FONK POP OFF..........WHO'S RIDIN????....YOU AND THE HOMIES...........ALWAYS......................SELLOUT...HMMMM........I DUNNO..........NELLY WIT N'SYNC........THATS A FA SHO SELLOUT.............E-40 WIT FABOLOUS..............SELLOUT, NAH.........HE PREACHED GAME "I DIDNT COME IN THIS GAME EMPTY HANDED, I CAME IN HERE ON BUSINESS".........GOTTA LUV IT..................SO IF YOU DO DECIDE TO RAP WITH A FAULTY INDIVIDUAL, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT YOU AINT TRIPPIN, PIMP THEY ASS ALL THROUGH OUT THE 16 BARS AND WE'LL ALL FEEL YOU

Apr 26, 2002
think of it this way....would your homies stick next to you the same way you doin them?? you know how you feel, you think you know how they feel, but if some a&r came from prority for example and gave some dudue on your little label a shot to do it big while no one was around and offered him money up front and all that riff raff...you think he would stay??just think about that first....you down for your folks, but when the money flashes in front of their eyes..are they really down for you in the music bizz??? gives ya something to think about huh??
just my opinion...peace

Playa-T

M

MrFreeze

YES to all. but you never have to leave your boys behind. if you had to do less music or none with them its one thing but never forget where you came from. this IS A BUSINESS and you have to make smart business moves in order to be successfull. all my friends and i agree if someone said " I wanna sign you to a big money contract but i only need YOU not you and your friend" it would be kinda stupid to turn it down out of loyalty to your boy. i mean if one of you makes it big then they should take everyone with them. I know what I want out of this music shit-MONEY! not that I dont love the music but love doesnt pay the bills. so I would take any and all oppurtunities that come up. the only time your truly SELLING OUT is when you turn your back on everyone and backstab your boys to make it. unless you do that i dont see anything wrong with doing what it takes to make it. for example i HATE nelly but i would do a song with him in a flash cuz it would bring in some serious loot. think with your minds not with your heart.

Apr 25, 2002
Here are my answers

1.) It depends on what ones definition of selling out is, what I may think selling out is may be totally different then the next man, I know that there are things that I just wont do and it dont matter what type of money is on the table. When it gets to that its an issue of my pride and of my dignity. I would never leave my true folks behind, but you gotta think if you got some big money on the table, or you get a a big signing bonus, you can start your own shit, just use the scratch you get as start up money. Yea, you will be the main cat on the "major" but who says YOU cant start no indie label? Who says you cant feature on your folks album to give him that extra push with your "big" name? Who says you cant wear a t-shirt thats promotin your folks album whenever you do an interview on MTV/BET, whenever you at an in-store, on stage you pushin his shit right along with yours. WHo said your folks cant go on the road with you when you do shows and shit? SO in all actuality your folks are still there, even tho they name aint on the "big" contract, they there with you cause you pushin them, feel me?

2.) This question can also be answered in my reply to the first question. I aint really no big fan of Ja Rule, but no matter what you may think Murder Inc. is on top of this game right now. Me knowin that, yea, Ja can come sing one of his corny ass hooks on my record, havin his ass on there will get me radio play, major spins in the clubs, all that shit that goes along with having whoever is "on top" of the game right now. Its just like a couple of years ago Cash Money was on top, before that No Limit, before that Ruff Ryders, Roc-A-Fella, the list goes on they all get they turn. Next month we might have a new crew thats on every song on the radio and all over TV. As I type this I have BET on watchin 106 & Park top ten countdown, I have seen 3 Murder Inc. affiliated videos in the countdown so far....

3.) See question #2 reply.

4.) FUCK NO!

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
OK TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS:

1.ITS ONLY ME AN MY BROTHER. ME AND MY FAMILY. WOULD I LEAVE MY BROTHER BEHIND? NOPE. I PRETTY MUCH CUT MY FRIENDS LOOSE WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO RECORD. I COME UP MY FAMILY COMES UP.

2.I DONT KNOW IF I WOULD DO THAT. IF I DID I WOULD MAKE SURE MY HOMIE WAS HEAVILY COMPENSATED......BUT.......YOU KNOW WHAT MONEY AND SALES ARE NOT EVERYTHING SOMETIMES. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A KNOWN RAPPER DOESNT MEAN YOU AR EGOING TO SELL. ITS ALL ON MARKETING AND PROMOTIONS. SO I DONT THINK I WOULD REALLY DO 2 EITHER.

3.NO

4.NO

BUT IF I WAS FORCED INTO ANY OF THOSE THINGS I WOULD MAKE SURE THAT I HAD PUBLISHING TO EVERYTHING I DID.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS THE MUSIC ****BUSINESS****
THROW FRIENDSHIPS AND SOMETIMES EVEN ***FAMILY*** OUT THE WINDOW.

MASTER P TOOK THE PUBLISHING FROM HIS OWN ****BROTHER****. KEEP THAT IN MIND. MONEY TALKS.....TO SOME..........

:H:

May 15, 2002
To questions 1 thru 4 the answer's no, but for whoever said love don't pay the bills is right, I ain't gonna lie I'm in it for the money, but that's what it's about for me at the end of the day. When I write something I put it down from the heart, I don't say to myself I'm just writin for the pay. My philosophy is this: I write from the heart quality shit that'll get me paid regardless, if ya wanna bullshit, do it for free.

May 16, 2002
~

WHAT IS A SELLOUT ANYWAYZ?? I MEAN JUST BECAUSE WHITE & OR MEXICANS LIKE YOUR MUSIC & MAKE YOU A MILLIONAIRE...DOES THAT MAKE YOU A SELLOUT? NIGGAZ NEED 2 GET OFF OF THA DUMB STUFF & GET THEIR PAPER. FOR 1 YOU NEVER DISS YA FOLKS 4 NOBODY, BUT AT THE SAME TIME FOOLZ BE HAVING THEIR BEST FRIENDS ON THEIR ALBUM THAT ARE STRAIGHT BUTT CRACK & CAN'T RAP WORTH A LICK. I THINK A LINE NEEDS 2 BE DRAWN SOMEWHERE BETWEEN BUSINESS & FRIENDSHIP. IF YOU WANT 2 MAKE IT IN THIS INDUSTRY DO WHAT YOU GOT 2 DO...NOT WHAT YOUR COMMUNITY FEELS YOU SHOULD DO. IF A POPLAR ROCK GROUP WANTS YOU 2 GET DOWN ON A SONG WITH EM' THEN GO GET YOUR PASOS'. ISNT IT BOUT THE PAPER IN THA 1ST PLACE????

Jun 20, 2002
I AINT FORGETIN ABOUT MY FOLKZ THEY COMIN WIT ME!
WHETHER THEY A STREET PROMOTER OR AN ARTIST.
YOU DONT PUT YA HOMIES IN THE RAP GAME JUST CAUSE THEY YA HOMIES, YOU DONT DO IT. IF THEY BUST AND THEY HARD THEN YOU DO.
AS FAR AS LEAVING NIGGAZ BEHIND, IF A NIGGA STILL DIRTY, I AINT FINNA FUCK WITEM , ESPECIALLY AFTER WE ALREADY BREADED! WHY AM I GONNA JEOPARDIZE MY LIFE AND CAREER OVER SUM BULLSHIT. WE GET INTO THE RAP GAME SO WE CAN STOP THE SHIT AND NIGGAZ IS STILL DOIN DIRT.
STUPID.
YOU CAN ONLY MAKE YA HOMIES SO HUNGRY TO GET UP AND DO SUM'N.

DONT GET ME WRONG"YA NIGGAZ IZ YA NIGGAZ, BUT YA NIGGAZ DONT PAY YA BILLS.

WHAT YOU DO IZ TAKE YA FOLKZ AROUND SHIT YOU DONE SEEN. LETTEM KNOW ITZ SUM'N BETTER WE TRYNA DO. MY NIGGA CAME OUT FROM LOUISIANA IN THE EARLY 90'S. THE NIGGAZ WE ROLLED WIT WAS FOUL, YOU COULD SMELLEM.
HE SHOOK THEM CATS , HE WAITED 8 YEARS FA THEM TO PUT OUT A ALBUM. THEY HAD THE MONEY, STUDIO.....
HE WENT OFF TO RUTGERS TO PLAY FOOTBALL IN 97, CAME BACK, AND NIGGAZ STILL BULLSHITTEN. NOW HE GOT HIS CD OUT HE MAKEN MUSIC, AND PLAYIN FA K.C. CHIEFS, I SEE THE NICE THINGS HE HAS, LIVE COMFORTABLE AND HAPPY , WE ALL WANT THAT. AND HE CAME OUT HERE WITH NOTHIN, NUTHIN.

AS FAR AS SELLIN OUT: YOU WOULD HAVE TO DEFINE THAT.

I WOULDNT PAY FOR ARTISTS IM NOT DIGGIN PERIOD.
I DONT MAKE PROMISES I KANT KEEP. I MAY TELL A CAT I'L GETEM IN THE STUDIO, MAYBE NOT TODAY OR TOMMOROW, BUT MAYBE NEXT WEEK. I'LL GET HIM IN. I DONT SHINE EM OFF.

IF YOU HAD 3 MILLION DOLLARS, YOU CANT LIVE IN THE HOOD TOO LONG. JUST BECAUSE OF THE BULLSHIT. DONT THINK THE SAME PEOPLE YOU STRUGGLED WITH WONT ROB YOU OR HATE ON YOU. IT HAPPENS. MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. I HAVE SEEN MONEY DO CRAZY SHIT TO PEOPLE, FAMILY , FRIENDS, ENEMYS....... YOU NAME IT.
YOU CAN STILL HANG OUT THERE NO DOUBT.

I MEAN ONCE YOU REACH A CERTAIN LEVEL YOU GOTTA DO THINGZ. WE ALL WOULD DO COMMERCIALS, VIDEOS, MOVIES IF WE COULD YA'LL KNOW THAT. WHEN YOU GET THE OPPORTUNITY DO IT.

COLLABIN WIT CATS I AINT DIGGEN, NOT REALLY, I STAY OPENED MINDED THOUGH. BUT I AINT FUCKIN WIT FAKES.

Apr 26, 2002
eMDe said:
I learn more and more everday that the music business IS IN FACT A BUSINESS.
I'm starting to feel might be too loyal to become successfull in the music bus.

Let me know where everyone else stands, no bias against those who would sell out, im just curious..

1) If the opurtunity came where you would be able to sell out but in return you had to leave your folks behind would you do it?

2) Would you sell out and do songs with big name rappers (not necesarily ones you like) even if it meant dropping your homies off the album?

3)Would you PAY for artists you dont generally listen to or like?

4)Would you brake promisses if it meant gaining success?
1. y would i choose sellin out over leavin my boys? wut i think u meant is bein successful and leavin my boys. but year, i would do it, jus tell my homiez that i'm doin it 4 them in tha future. i would do wut i gotta do, stacc my scrillion, then cum bacc and get my homiez. who's gonna shtop me?

2. like i said, if they my TRUE homiez, then they'd undershtand i'm doin for ALL uv us. i'd do it, then when i got big, i'd round up.

3. on tha real, naw. i think rap is an artform. i don't want to manipulate my creativeness by adding sumbody i ain't even feelin. i really believe if i shtay tru to wut i believe in, tha success will fall in place.

4. depends. if i find that tha people i really care about and love (tha only onez that matter 2 me), will benefit, then hell year. fucc tha world. i gives a fucc. u kno how many promises hav been broken to me in my lifetime? fucc em! promises are made 2 c broken.

fold.

May 16, 2002
@HEATED & BLACC

YOU SOUND LIKE SOMEONE OF MY TYPE OF CALIBER....WHAT ARE YOU TRYING 2 DO IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY? HOLLA AT ME SO WE CAN CHOP IT UP & COLLAB. YOU GOT YOUR HEAD SCREWED ON TIGHT.....

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
ok emde peep this out. i got down with this label right. they are more into "hip hop" and turntables etc etc etc. now i knew these cats from when we were like 7th and 8th grade. i never kicked it with them. they were so square i didnt even know that they stayed on my side of vallejo. so not to long ago i got down with them and spit 3 verses on 3 different songs. 1 song was "lost". how they lost it? i dont know. the second song sounded terrible (the mix down was totally screwed up and no i didnt mix it). the 3rd song went on an album. the cat pushed 500 units from his trunk.

these cats knew NOTHING about the recording process. they knew nothing about panning,eq,multitracking,bussing,dynamic fx,pre and post inserts. these cats were recording in MONO and were CLIPPING. so what did i do? i showed them how to sync midi and how to multitrack from the sound module to the digital mixer. showed them how to pan. showed them how to record properly. when they had that loud BUZZING noise in the studio who told them about 60 CYCLE HUM? i did. i was the one who gave on game on why you shouls track DRY and not print WET.

so peep this. the cat whos album i was on he is invited me to the record release party and he is the main guy for the label or crew or whatever the hell they are. i didnt even know that he wrote my name into 2 of his raps on that same album. so he was showin me love. now his homeboy? thats a different story......

now his homboy (he and his homeboy are in a group like how the BIG TYMERS are a group) was working on a solo album. so EVERYTIME he saw me he would say "man i want you to get down on my album". i would say ok whenever, you know where im at you have my numbers blah blah blah. a week would go past and i would see him again. "man i want you to get down on my album". i would tell him the same thing and add a little bit more. tell him i was ready etc etc etc etc. 2 weeks would go past and the same thing would happen. a month would go past and the same thing would happen again.

finally i look around and his album drops. i wasnt on it. i didnt trip because nothing was in writing and none of my publishing was at stake. he has a record release party. im told that i have to PAY to get a ticket to the party. now after all i have done for these cats,all the game i have dropped on them, all the advice on sound etc etc etc they tell me this? did i go? nope.

so when his boy lets me peep the album i look inside and peep the shout outs. none to me. his boy said "i wonder why he didnt say your name on the shout outs". i just smirked.

when they did a show in la with THE LIVING LEGENDS they performed the song i was on. did they tell me about it? nope. hell they had someone else RAP my verse (i might post the song up in like a week or so also). how the hell you gonna have someone rap my verse when i had the TIGHTEST verse on the song and probably on the entire album?

see they came to me for the game and i still have an upper hand. i dont let em know everything that i know.

the cat whos album i was on is going to EXPRESSIONS its a school for recording. he is paying 50 grand to learn what i know. he is paying 50 grand to learn how to operate a ssl and neve console. i am recording on an ssl and mixing on a neve console. when he shows me his school tests and all of that i read it and tell him that i already know the stuff. i ask him to ask me questions that are on his papers. when he does i give the correct answers. did i go to school for this? nope.

learned by reading and applying what i know.

so would playa patna who showed me love leave his homie to network with me? who knows. would they blow up and help me out? doubt it.

when i blow up (and best believe me its almost time) will i look back and bring them up????? nope. see they dont know about the moves and things i have been doing. so its all good. :

"DEPART FROM ME I KNEW YOU NOT".

thats what i will tell them.

emde last night you and i discussed some things and blacc hit on those things. it comes a point in life when you see or evaluate what your PRIORITIES are. you may give your music 120% while your homies slack and give 45%. get with people who are BUSINESS MINDED and establish people who have the same zeal and work ethic s *YOU* do.

:h: