Seattle Seahawks Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers 9/18/11

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Which team will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 14, 2004
NFL official Bill Leavy, the referee when several controversial calls were made during Super Bowl XL, is scheduled to be the head official when Seattle travels to Pittsburgh to take on the Steelers on Sunday.

During training camp last year at an annual officials meeting held with regular beat reporters of the team to discuss league rule changes, Leavy admitted to getting two calls incorrect in Seattle’s Super Bowl appearance, a 21-10 loss to the Steelers.

One of those calls was a clipping penalty called on Matt Hasselbeck(notes) on making a tackle after throwing an interception. Sean Locklear’s(notes) holding call as the Seahawks were going in for a score also has been questioned since the 2006 game.

“It was a tough thing for me,” Leavy said. “I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly.

“I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better. I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn’t good enough. When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It’s something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it’s difficult.”

The league office is responsible for assigning officials for the week’s slate of games.

Leavy did not ref a Seattle game for the rest of Mike Holmgren’s tenure in Seattle after the Super Bowl game. He finally was assigned a Seattle game in 2009 at San Francisco. And he also worked Seattle’s preseason game in Denver this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoaccUSaC7ti.RN695LmSSP.uLYF?slug=teamreports-2011-nfl-sea

Feb 14, 2004
Wtf lol

Fuck the league office

Someone really has it out for the Seahawks. Assigning them to play in Pittsburgh yet again and with Bill Leavy as the head official.

Feb 14, 2004
When: Sunday, 10 a.m. PDT, Heinz Field, Pittsburgh

Record: 0-1 after Sunday’s 35-7 loss to the Ravens in Baltimore
Where they rank: No. 22 on offense (25th rushing, 17th passing); No. on defense (30th rushing, 13th passing)

Series: Seahawks lead 8-7, but the Steelers won the last meeting – 21-0 in Pittsburgh on Oct. 7, 2007 – and they also have a 6-2 edge in games played in Pittsburgh

Star power: Where to start on a team that has had seven Pro Bowl players (linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, nose tackle Casey Hampton, defensive end Brett Keisel, tight end Heath Miller, safety Troy Polamalu and center Maurkice Pouncey) the past two seasons and two defensive players of the year (Harrison and Polamalu) the past three seasons? With the guy who gets the most attention, off as well as on the field: QB Ben Roethlisberger. His image is even larger than the player they call Big Ben (6-5, 241). But most of the attention he got in the opener against the Ravens was negative, as Roethlisberger threw three interceptions, fumbled twice, was sacked four times and emerged with a 52.9 passer rating.

Unsung hero: Mike Wallace. Not the old “60 Minutes” correspondent, the third-year wide receiver who gave the Steelers their best 60-minute performance in the opener. In a game where little went right for his team, Wallace caught eight passes for 107 yards against the Ravens – his fourth consecutive game with triple-digit receiving yards. Honorable mention to Ike Taylor, the right cornerback who is playing with a broken left thumb but held the Ravens’ Lee Evans without a catch in the opener.

On the spot: Marcus Gilbert. The Steelers’ second-round draft choice is stepping in at right tackle for Willie Colon, who had surgery today to repair the triceps he tore in the opener. Gilbert’s got the size (6-6, 330), he’s just light on experience and the rookie will be tested by the Seahawks’ D-end trio of Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and Raheem Brock.

Burning question: What has happened to the Steelers’ defense? They ranked first in the league in run defense last season, allowing an average of 62.8 yards. But the Steel Curtain got run over for 170 yards by the Ravens. They have allowed only two 100-yard rushers in the past 51 games, both by the Ravens’ Ray Rice (107 on Sunday, 141 on Dec. 27, 2009).

Number to know: Eight of the starters on the Steelers’ defense are 30-something: linebacker James Farrior (36), end Aaron Smith (35), Hampton (34), Keisel (33 next week), Harrison (33), free safety Ryan Clark (31), Taylor (31) and Polamalu (30). Cornerback Bryant McFadden will turn 30 in November.

Familiar faces: Linebackers coach Keith Butler played the position for the Seahawks (1978-87) and ranks No. 2 career tackles (813).

The last word: “It’s incredibly humbling which, obviously, we needed at this point. I’ll be interesting to see how we persevere. This is a big step toward humility.” – Polamalu, after Sunday’s loss

http://blog.seahawks.com/2011/09/13/up-next-pittsburgh-steelers/

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I'm not looking forward to this game. I just hope we get our starters back for this game that missed last game.

Apr 25, 2002
I love the fact Leavy is doing the game. For Seahawk fans, the worst thing that can happen is that this story goes away and is completely forgotten.

This has generated a few headlines and will hopefully garner a mention on the FOX telecast. So on the surface this might seem bad (and offensive, a slap in the face by the NFL), but as long as it is acknowledged on TV, then I love it.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Wtf lol

Fuck the league office

Someone really has it out for the Seahawks. Assigning them to play in Pittsburgh yet again and with Bill Leavy as the head official.
Don't worry bro. We don't want him any more than you do.

Seahawks playing at 1:00...that's like what, 10am for them? Hopefully the Steelers are humbled, hungry and focused after last week. I got no doubt that the Defense will step up, that was just a bad game...McFadden sucked, but Ike Taylor was a shut down corner last week, Polamalu/Harrison/Woodley are gonna be better...we just need to not get shocked on the first play and we can't stay on the field the entire game because the offense keeps turning it over. But our Offensive line has got to be the worst in the league at this point. Jonathan Scott and Doug Ligursky were getting pushed around BAD, Willie Colon is out for the season, Marcus Gilbert is a rookie they didn't want starting. The only one we got that's any good is Pouncey.

Ben played a bad game in the beginning because he was getting pressured so bad because of no line protection. By the end of the game he was just rattled. If we can't get our line together, we're gonna have a rough season. But I still see us winning this game.

Feb 14, 2004
Don't worry bro. We don't want him any more than you do.

Seahawks playing at 1:00...that's like what, 10am for them? Hopefully the Steelers are humbled, hungry and focused after last week. I got no doubt that the Defense will step up, that was just a bad game...McFadden sucked, but Ike Taylor was a shut down corner last week, Polamalu/Harrison/Woodley are gonna be better...we just need to not get shocked on the first play and we can't stay on the field the entire game because the offense keeps turning it over. But our Offensive line has got to be the worst in the league at this point. Jonathan Scott and Doug Ligursky were getting pushed around BAD, Willie Colon is out for the season, Marcus Gilbert is a rookie they didn't want starting. The only one we got that's any good is Pouncey.

Ben played a bad game in the beginning because he was getting pressured so bad because of no line protection. By the end of the game he was just rattled. If we can't get our line together, we're gonna have a rough season. But I still see us winning this game.
Seattle has the worst o-line in the league, plus Tarvaris Jackson is our QB lol

Stealth

May 8, 2002
We both have young, inexperienced o-lines. The only difference is you have Okung (6th overall, 2011), Robert Gallery (2nd overall, 2004), Max Unger (2nd round, 2010), John Moffitt (3rd round, 2011), James Carpenter (25th overall, 2011). Your team line is young, but loaded with potential talent.

We have Jonathan Scott (5th round, 2006), Chris Kemoeatu (6th round, 2005), Markice Pouncey (18th overall, 2010), Doug Ligursky (undrafted, 2008), and now Marcus Gilbert (2011, 2nd round) who isn't even ready to play but is in for Colon who is out for the season.

If your line can start playing well down the stretch, they could be amazing in a couple years. I know Gallery didn't do shit with the Raiders, but neither did Randy Moss. Our line is a bunch of no talent players who haven't proven a thing over their careers. We've gone to the Super Bowl with a good D, a quarterback who can usually make up for the line, and good run blockers (Faneca, Flozell, etc.) who are gone. Steelers are a better team right now, but I think the Seahawks have a good blueprint on offense in a little white.

Feb 14, 2004
Okung is good when he's healthy, but the thing is he can't stay healthy for long with his glass ankles. Not sure on Gallery yet. Max Unger did decent the season before last(And that was just at RG, not starting C like he is now), and last season got put on the IR after the first game of the season due to turf toe. Not too sure on Moffit and Carpenter yet, still need to see more games. If Okung goes down, Tyler Polumbus takes over, and he's alright. And if Gallery goes down again, Carpenter switches over, and Breno Giacomini takes over at RT. I'm only going to mention those two because Okung seems to be injury prone already, and Gallery is old and already got injured before the season started.

Bad o-line is what we have and that spells disaster for the QB. Tarvaris has mobility, but doesn't make good decisions once he's out of the pocket like Ben does. Tarvaris will either throw it out of bounds, ground it near a receiver, get sacked or throw an INT. That doesn't happen with Ben. I don't know if the receivers down the field just aren't open or he just isn't seeing them or what?

Bottum line is Tarvaris Jackson isn't the answer at QB for Seattle, and I hope he isn't the starter for too long. Unless he plays whole 60 minutes a game like he did in the second half of the whiners game.