Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
So when did you start smoking crack? LOL
haha Sunday Playa, Sunday
Like this past Sunday? How was it? You selling any of your shit yet to get another fix? lol
What???? I'm lost on this one Sav.
Asked you when you started smoking crack, and then you posted up "sunday playa sunda", made it look like you were answering the question, which i know you weren't. i was just fucking with you. i hate explaining shit. lol

Feb 14, 2004
The Pro Football Weekly preview issue was in the mailbox yesterday. So what better way to start 09/09/09 than with some love for No. 59?

The folks at PFW like Aaron Curry. A lot. In making predictions for the season, here’s what they had to say about the Seahawks’ first-round draft choice in regards to rookie of the year honors:

“Because the award always goes to offensive skill players, Seahawks OLB Aaron Curry won’t win it. But no rookie will make a bigger impact.” – Matt Sohn

“No rookie will make a bigger impact than Seahawks LB Aaron Curry, who will be a tackling machine playing in a very skilled unit.” – Michael Blunda

“Aaron Curry will make an immediate impact, helping elevate Seattle’s LB corps to among the best in the league.” – Keith Schleiden

“Seahawks SLB Aaron Curry. I look for him to become the same kind of instant force outside that Patrick Willis was inside for the Niners.” – Dan Arkush

Others mentioned: Vikings WR Percy Harvin (2), Rams LB James Laurinaitis.

Feb 14, 2004
He is learning from Tatupu and Hill, so I have faith in him. I think he is going to be great this season. Perhaps a pro bowl selection.

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks turn to Big Play Babs

He’s the guy with the cool nickname from the school with the cool nickname.

Jordan Babineaux – a.k.a. “Big Play Babs” – also is the Seahawks’ new starting free safety.
“We just felt as an organization – and it was a consensus – that Jordan Babineaux was a guy that we wanted to have on the field on an every-down basis,” Mora said. “Because he can make plays on the football, and we all recognize the fact that we need to have more plays made by our safeties.”

That leaves Milloy, at almost 36 and with his four Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl on his resume, as a backup.

“And he understands that,” Mora said. “When I spoke to Lawyer before we decided to bring him in, I asked him a number of questions.”

One was: Can you accept the role of a backup? “And his answer was, ‘Yes, I can. I’ll do whatever I can,’ ” Mora said.

Another was: Can you play special teams? “His answer was, ‘Absolutely. I’ll do whatever it takes. I’ll do my best,’ ” Mora said.

Babineaux knew all this, but he didn’t let on when grilled by reporters after practice on Monday.

Wednesday, he was able to take a few minutes to soak it all in – and let it all soak in.

“As a backup player, your ultimate goal is to be a full-time player,” Babineaux said. “This is huge. I’m seizing the moment right now. I’m living in it right now.

“But it’s also a tremendous challenge, and I’m looking forward to accepting it.”

Babineaux talked to Russell on Tuesday, after the former starter signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“There’s no hard feeling involved,” Babineaux said. “Now it’s about moving forward, and me proving myself as a starter.”

But how about those nicknames, anyway?

Babineaux not only played at Southern Arkansas, he remains a proud Mulerider.

Muleriders? That’s right. Let Babineaux explain.

“Back in the day, the players used to ride mules from the school to the train station for away games,” Babineaux said. “So the name kind of stuck.”

Just like Babineaux stuck with the Seahawks in 2004, despite being an undrafted free agent.

It has been, of course, his propensity for making big plays that has allowed Babineaux to stick around – and greased the way for his elevation to the starting lineup.

“Babineaux is just one of those guys who finds the ball, or the ball finds him,” Mora said. “We felt like we needed to add that element to our secondary. So that made the decision what it was.”

Which was, to go with “Big Play Babs.” His teammates tease Babineaux that the nickname was self-proclaimed, but linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski actually gave it to him in 2005.

“I love it,” he said with a smile when asked if he liked the nickname. “But with that comes a lot of responsibility. So I’ve got to be that guy.”

Babineaux’s big-play portfolio includes some huge ones (see chart). His signature big plays have come while he was a part-time starter at cornerback and safety, but also in his more-defined role as the nickel back and on special teams.

He’s best known for pulling down Tony Romo from behind after the Cowboys quarterback had botched the snap on what would have been a game-winning field goal in the closing minutes of the Seahawks’ wild-card playoff win over Dallas in 2006.

“They talk about that more than they ask how I’m doing,” said Babineaux, who is from Port Arthur, Texas – the same hometown of former NFL coach Jimmy Johnson and rock icon Janis Joplin.

“When I go home, they’re still talking about it. I’m like, ‘You guys still remember that? That was three years ago.’ I’m sure it’s because it was Dallas.”

This just in: They take their football just a little seriously in the Lone Star State.

“It’s like a bittersweet feeling for them,” Babineaux said. “They love me for it, and they hate me for it.”

But Babineaux’s pick as the biggest of his big plays was an interception against the Cowboys in 2005 that Babineaux returned 25 yards to set up a game-winning field goal. It was win No. 3 in what became a franchise-record 11-game winning streak during the team’s run to the Super Bowl.

It’s the kind of play he needs to continue making now that he’s made the leap to full-time starter.

“I’m ready,” Babineaux said. “There’s no doubt I’m eager to get out there. I’m looking forward to it. I’m accepting the challenge and I’m going to hit it dead in the face.”

But what would you expect from a player with such a cool nickname from a school with such a cool nickname?

Babs' big plays

Seahawks safety Jordan Babineaux wasn’t just given the nickname “Big Play Babs.” He earned it, and here’s how:

10/9/05 Babineaux forced a fourth-quarter fumble on a punt return that allowed the Seahawks to run out the clock in a 37-31 win over the Rams in St. Louis.

10/23/05 Babineaux intercepted a Drew Bledsoe pass and returned it 25 yards to set up a game-winning field goal as the Seahawks defeated the Cowboys 13-10 at Qwest Field.

1/6/06 Babineaux pulled down Cowboys QB Tony Romo at the Seahawks’ 2-yard line after he had bobbled the snap on what could have been a game-winning field goal, as the Seahawks hung on for a 21-20 wild-card playoff win at Qwest Field.

1/5/07 Babineaux returned an interception 57 yards for a touchdown as the Seahawks beat the Washington Redskins 35-14 in wild-card playoff game at Qwest Field.

I like this move. I hope Babs will continue to live up to his Big Play Babs nick name.

Feb 14, 2004
A recap of the day’s activities:

PLAYER OF THE DAY

Lofa Tatupu. The new defensive coaches are asking the three-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker to do more, and even do things a little differently, this season.

During the two hour, 25 minute practice in full pads, Tatupu did a little bit of everything. He got to the ball carrier in the backfield. He came off a block to thump the running back as he was attempting to hit the hole.

New role. Same results.

“Lofa has done a really good job,” coach Jim Mora said. “He’s been focused. He’s intense. He’s accepted the changes in his role, although they’re very, very minor.

“Lofa’s a proud man, and he takes a lot of pride and he takes his craft seriously. He wants to be a great player.”

Last year, Tatupu played with a cast on his right hand and through other injuries. He did not go to the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career.

“I think last year affected him,” Mora said. “What I’ve seen is a guy who’s come back very focused, intent on regaining the stature around the league that he enjoyed his first three years.

“I think he’ll have a good year.”

Especially if he plays like he was practicing Wednesday.

PLAY OF THE DAY

Defensive tackle Brandon Mebane exploded through the line to get the running back just after he took the handoff.

POSITION WATCH

Punt returner. Yes, Nate Burleson is the starting split end. And yes, he’s coming off major knee surgery that ended his 2008 season in the opener. But yes, he will return punts this season.

Not on a steady basis, but in select spots.

“Nate’s one of the best punt returners in football, and we’re trying to win games,” Mora said. “There might be some people who question the logic of putting a starting wide receiver who’s coming off a knee injury back as a punt returner. But if he can make a play to help us win a game, then we’re going to do it.

“So you’ll see Nate back there at some point. You might see him back there this week; you might not. It’s going to depend on the situation.”

OUTSIDE IN

The players began practice outside, but quickly moved to their indoor practice facility when rain began to fall.

CAPTAIN CRUNCH

The players have elected their captains for the season.

Safety Deon Grant and Tatupu were repeat selections on defense, as were quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and tackle Walter Jones on offense. Linebacker Lance Laury also was a repeat pick for special teams, with the other co-captain being kicker Olindo Mare.

ROLL CALL

Tackle Brandon Frye practiced with the team for the first time since being claimed off waivers from the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

YOU DON’T SAY

“It’s a suffocating experience to come in there and play in front of that crowd. They suck the air out of the place. With our fans, what we’d like to do is create an environment where a team doesn’t feel safe. They say, ‘I don’t want to be out here. I want to be in the locker room and then I want to get on the plane and go home.’ Our fans provide that atmosphere right off the bat, and then it’s up to us to make sure that we maintain it.” – Mora, on the obvious

Feb 14, 2004
Player of the Day.

Jordan Babineaux. The versatile defensive back was the story of the day on Wednesday after coach Jim Mora announced that Babineaux is the new starter at free safety.

Thursday, he was the player of the day by displaying the skills that allowed him to win the starting job.

Babineaux intercepted two passes – returning one for a touchdown – and also got his hands on two others. He also rocked the running back as he was coming through the hole with a solid hit and closed nicely to limit a receiver to a short gain.

But even more impressive was the way Babineaux was making the calls and getting the other defenders lined up properly before the snap.

“Those are the things we saw all summer from Babs,” defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said. “He’s a smart player and a physical player. We knew he could handle the leadership role because he has had enough experience to get the job done.”

PLAY OF THE DAY

One play after jumping offside, defensive tackle Red Bryant fought off a block to get to the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage.

Honorable mention to a play where defensive end Cory Redding was on QB Seneca Wallace for what would have been a sack and fellow end Patrick Kerney for deflecting a pass.

POSITION WATCH

Offensive line. It’s not the line the coaches were anticipating would start the season opener, but it is the line that has been pieced together over the past three weeks and will remain the line at least until left tackle Walter Jones and center Chris Spencer are ready to return.

The unit the will start Sunday’s regular-season opener against the St. Louis Rams at Qwest Field includes – from left tackle to right – Sean Locklear, Rob Sims, Steve Vallos, Max Unger and Ray Willis.

The Seahawks usually have only seven O-linemen active on game day. That won’t change. But the inactive players this week will be Jones, who had a cleanout procedure on his surgically repaired left knee last month; and Spencer, who tore a thigh muscle in the second preseason game.

That leaves Mansfield Wrotto as the backup for the interior spots and just-acquired Brandon Frye as the backup at tackle.

“I am comfortable with Mansfield Wrotto as a backup,” coach Jim Mora said of a player who started the final four games last year, when all five starters finished the season on injured reserve. “If I have a concern along the offensive line – aside from the fact that we don’t have two of our starters playing – it would be that we have a guy (Frye) that’s new to our team as our backup tackle.

“So we’ll see how he does during practice, and if he doesn’t look like he’s up to speed then we can make some moves to get a guy that knows what to do in a position where he can play if we had an injury.”

STAT DU JOUR

Running back Julius Jones ran for a season-high 140 yards in last season’s game against the Rams at Qwest Field. In fact, that Week 3 effort was Jones’ highest yardage output since he ran for 194 yards against the Carolina Panthers in 2005 while playing with the Dallas Cowboys.

INJURY REPORT

The official report issued by the team had six players not practicing: Jones (knee) and Spencer (thigh), as well as defensive backs Travis Fisher (hamstring) and C.J. Wallace (rib), wide receiver Deion Branch (hamstring) and defensive end Derek Walker (hamstring).

YOU DON’T SAY

“He helps me out a lot. If I get stuck calling a play in the huddle, he’ll finish it for me. He’s been in this system a long time.” – quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, on fullback Justin Griffith, who also played for offensive coordinator Greg Knapp in Atlanta and Oakland.