Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
RENTON, Wash. -- Can the Seahawks go from worst to first?
That's the question buzzing through Seattle after watching the energetic Jim Mora conduct his first week of training camp at Seahawks headquarters in Renton.
Mora, who takes over for Mike Holmgren, has experience orchestrating dramatic turnarounds after quickly transforming the Falcons into NFC South champions during his first stint as an NFL head coach. Mora, 47, took a team that finished 5-11 under Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips the year before his arrival and led them into the NFC Championship Game in his first season on the job in 2004.

Although Mora took over a downtrodden franchise in Atlanta, the Seahawks had reigned supreme over the NFC West until injuries ravaged their roster last season. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, defensive end Patrick Kerney and tackle Walter Jones were a few of the Pro Bowlers who spent time on the sidelines last season. They were joined by numerous others in the training room over the course of the year. Without their big guns on the field, the Seahawks relinquished their four-year vice grip on the division and missed the playoffs for the time since 2002.
However, the Seahawks have seemingly returned to full health, and their fortified roster is embracing Mora's energetic approach. The team moves briskly from drill to drill and there is a quiet confidence surrounding the team that was noticeably absent last season. Whereas most teams have an optimism buzzing throughout their camp, the feeling surrounding the Seahawks is reminiscent to the swagger of a champion.
With that mixture of confidence, energy and redemption abound in the Pacific Northwest, the thought of the Seahawks regaining their crown in 2009 is not only a possibility, but a growing reality in the NFC West.
Camp observations

» Hasselbeck's injury played a large part in the team's dismal season a year ago, but the three-time Pro Bowler has returned to health. The 11-year pro is showing no lingering effects from the knee and back injuries that sidelined him for nine games last season. Hasselbeck has been throwing the ball with good zip and velocity through the opening weeks of training camp, and showing the trademark accuracy that has enabled him to complete 60 percent of his passes throughout his career. Although Hasselbeck is still adjusting to the version of the West Coast offense being installed by offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, the savvy veteran is poised to put up big numbers in a redesigned offense that is looking to take more shots down the field.
» The offsensive line remains the biggest question mark. The team's front five has been besieged by injuries and an unexpected retirement (Mike Wahle) prior to training camp. Offensive line coach Mike Solari has been forced to reshuffle the line up to find an effective combination up front. A healthy Walter Jones remains the only lock to be in the starting lineup during Kickoff Weekend, the rest of the starters along offensive line will be sorted out through evaluation during preseason games. Throw in the team's change to a zone-based scheme, and the competition between Rob Sims, Chris Spencer, Max Unger, Ray Willis and Sean Locklear is undoubtedly the most pivotal to the success of the Seahawks.

» After watching the Seahawks defense practice for a day, it is obvious that new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley is building his scheme around the team's impressive trio of linebackers. Lofa Tatupu, Leroy Hill and Aaron Curry are athletic playmakers capable of excelling as rushers or cover men. And Bradley is taking advantage of the group's varied skill set by incorporating a host of exotic blitzes with the crew alternating blitz responsibilities. With the offense unable to identify the blitzing linebacker, the Seahawks are banking on the indecision leading to sacks or turnovers in the pocket. After watching the first-team defense record three sacks on blitzes within the first five snaps of the team's 11-on-11 period, opponents should fear the blitz-happy approach the Seahawks are set to employ.
Rookie report

Wide receiver Deon Butler, the rookie speedster from Penn State, is set to make a major impact as a "do-it-all" playmaker for the team. Butler ranks as one of the fastest players on the Seahawks' roster, and gives the team's receiving corps a much-needed deep threat from the slot. The Seahawks will use him extensively on bubble screens and reverses to take advantage of his dynamic running skills in space. While those contributions will be critical, the rookie may make his biggest impact as a returner in the kicking game. Butler has been fielding kicks and punts in practice, and could give the team an explosive dimension in the return game.
Surprise, surprise

Cory Redding may be the most pivotal player on the Seahawks' defense this season. The sixth-year veteran was acquired from Detroit as part of the Julian Peterson deal, and was originally pegged to fill a role as a rotational interior player. However, the team now intends to use Redding at left defensive end on early downs before kicking him inside on pass-rush situations. This move gives the Seahawks a stout player on the offense's preferred running side (most offenses are right-hand dominant), and allows the team's best pass rusher (Kerney) to focus extensively on pressuring the quarterback from the backside. In addition, it enables Darryl Tapp and Lawrence Jackson to focus on making contributions as situational pass rushers in the team's nickel package. Given the struggles of the Seahawks defense, particularly the defensive line, the decision to use Redding as a utility player may spark a defensive uprising in the Pacific Northwest.
Extra points

» While the Seahawks' receiving corps has received a bulk of the headlines during the offseason, it is the continued development of tight end John Carlson that may key the team's passing game. The second-year pro has been terrific during the early part of camp, and is quickly emerging as one of the best tight ends in the NFC. Carlson gives Hasselbeck a dependable threat over the middle of the field as a polished route runner with outstanding hands. Although it is unlikely that the former Notre Dame standout will remain the team leader in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns, it is quite possible that he will continue to post big numbers in the Seahawks' offense. Knapp has enjoyed tremendous success featuring the tight end in his previous stops at Atlanta (Alge Crumpler) and Oakland (Zach Miller), so expect Carlson to remain a prominent contributor in the Seahawks offense.

» The unheralded return of cornerback Ken Lucas should shore up the Seahawks' biggest defensive weakness. The eighth-year veteran is slated to start at right cornerback, and he teams with former Pro Bowler Marcus Trufant to give the team a formidable corner tandem. Although Lucas' skills have slipped a bit since his initial stint with the team, he still has enough skills to give the Seahawks the best cornerback tandem in the NFC West. Lucas' insertion into the lineup allows the team to use Kelly Jennings and Josh Wilson as sub-defenders in the team's nickel and dime packages, which better suits their skill sets at the present time.
» Don't be surprised if Justin Forsett becomes a key contributor in the Seahawks' rushing attack. The second-year pro is an ideal fit in the team's new zone-based scheme, and could eventually supplant Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett as the feature runner in the backfield. Although Forsett didn't log any carries during his rookie season, the former California star showed outstanding promise as a runner during the 2008 preseason when he averaged 5.4 yards a carry and produced a rare 100-yard game during the preseason. With Forsett enjoying another outstanding training camp, it is only a matter of time before he finds his way into the running back rotation.
» Keep an eye on wide receiver Jordan Kent during the preseason. The third-year pro is having an outstanding camp, and is making a strong push for playing time as a sub-receiver. While the former Oregon standout has always teased team officials with his exceptional athleticism (Kent lettered in football, basketball and track as a collegian), he is finally putting it together as a receiver with outstanding results. Kent made several spectacular catches on the day, and continues to impress coaches with his ability to get behind the defense. Although he is unlikely to be more than a fourth receiver at this point, he could prove to be a vital backup during the regular season.

May 9, 2002
Would instantly be the worst uniforms ever worn in an NFL game, and we'd be the laughing stock of the league (deservedly so).

I have written various sportswriters up in Seattle to ask them to investigate, the sentiment I'm getting is that they're planning on wearing them once in '09.
Why do you care so much? Winning is whats important, not how we fuckin look. I don't care if they were wearing fuckin pink tu-tu's....as long as we make it to the playoffs and give a serious push for a championship.

Feb 14, 2004
What’s the rush? It’s Aaron Curry

After watching Aaron Curry slash, push and bull his way past a series of would-be blockers on the practice field Monday, it’s difficult to fathom that anyone could actually question his ability to rush the passer.

But that was the rare rap on the Butkus Award-winning linebacker from Wake Forest entering the 2009 NFL draft.

“The only knock might be his relative inexperience rushing the passer, as decision makers will have to gauge how heavily to invest in a linebacker who has not proven he can rush the passer on third down,” is how the Pro Football Weekly Draft Preview put it.

It was a bum rap, as it is turning out, for the player the Seahawks selected with the fourth pick overall.

Curry has been shock therapy in pads and a helmet since stepping onto the practice field at Seahawks training camp on Saturday, despite missing the first eight days while the terms of his six-year contract were being finalized.

Just ask offensive coordinator Greg Knapp.

“Aaron is a factor. He can rush the passer well,” the Seahawks offensive coordinator said Tuesday.

With Curry, it wasn’t so much that he couldn’t rush the passer at Wake Forest, it’s that he was rarely asked to do it.

“There’s no reason he can’t be a great pass-rusher,” Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe said on draft day. “We just didn’t use him that way. We asked him to do tougher stuff, which is dropping into (pass) coverage.”

The only thing dropping Monday were the jaws of those watching Curry abuse one blocker after another.

“He’s a force, no question,” Seahawks president Tim Ruskell said.

The Seahawks were not swayed by the fact that Curry had not rushed the passer much in college. Instead, they looked at his size (6 feet 2 and a “trimmed down” 247 pounds), his speed (4.52 seconds in the 40-yard dash), his athletic ability (37-inch vertical leap) and his tenacity, and figured he could indeed get after the quarterback.

“That was the key for us, that he would have that component,” Ruskell said. “We saw as much as everybody else (in college), but you have to project that. He’s big. He’s fast. He’s smart. He’s tough.

“That’s a good start.”

Granted, those teammates trying to impede Curry’s progress Monday were a running back – Justin Forsett, who Curry outweighs by 53 pounds; and a tight end – fellow rookie Cameron Morrah, who is five pounds lighter than Curry.

“He was quite impressive in that pass-rush drill,” coach Jim Mora said. “Now granted, that pass-rush drill was against backs. It’s a different story when you’re up against Walter Jones, or Sean Locklear, or Ray Willis, or one of our tackles.”

Those matchups are coming. Curry’s chance to rush as an end in the nickel defense won’t likely come in Saturday night’s preseason opener against the Chargers in San Diego.

But you will see Curry in that role, and probably sooner rather than later. It’s one way to utilize the total package of talents that is Aaron Curry. It’s also a way to keep Curry, as well as fellow linebackers Leroy Hill and Lofa Tatupu, on the field in the nickel defense.

Curry as pass-rusher is just one element the Seahawks plan to throw at opponents this season, despite the rookie having so much thrown at him after his late start. Curry said he is spending an extra 90 minutes each night playing catch up with linebackers coach Zerick Rollins.

“Aaron has handled it remarkably well,” Mora said. “That’s a credit to both him, and the way he stayed mentally sharp during the offseason; and to Zerick Rollins, and the way he spent the extra time with him.

“But Aaron’s kind of a natural football player. He gets things quickly. They make sense to him. He’s able to diagnosis and react quickly. Where some guys it takes awhile to figure out what’s happening in front of him, he just gets it naturally.”

The proof is in the production.

“I haven’t seen him confused, where you say, ‘Oh, Aaron’s missed a lot of practice time. It’s showing up,’ ” Mora said. “I haven’t seen that. Quite the contrary, he’s shown up a lot.”

Never more than in that pass-rush drill.

Asked about his rampage afterward, Curry offered, “I don’t know (what happened). I was kind of in my zone. Almost blacked out.”

Told of Curry’s assessment, Ruskell shuttered, smiled and said, “That’s not good for opponents. But I’ll take it.”

Apr 25, 2002
Why do you care so much? Winning is whats important, not how we fuckin look. I don't care if they were wearing fuckin pink tu-tu's....as long as we make it to the playoffs and give a serious push for a championship.
How we look is important. We're not a glamor franchise that has had the same uni for 50 years, but still don't want to come off like a joke arena franchise.

Feb 14, 2004
Lets just get through this season without worrying about what the players are wearing. The Seahawks & their fans have got bigger issues to worry about then their attire. Like their O-Line for instance. If they can't stay healthy, then we might be looking at a repeat of last season. And it won't be because of the green jerseys that'll be worn for TWO games out of the whole season.

Feb 14, 2004
I've got some Seahawks news that unfortunately is so embarrassing that we deserve to be clowned on by the entire league. I was up in Seattle a few weeks ago, stopped by the team shop and asked the employees there what the deal was with those ugly ass neon green jerseys, and if they'd be worn on the field this year. They told me they're wearing them for 2 games late in the season.

An absolute disgrace makes me ashamed to be a fan of theirs, this feels like a slap in the face. I'll have 30 text messages the next day of people making fun of me when they see the highlights on Sportscenter.

E-Mail team personnel or anybody in the media, get the word out, maybe this can be stopped !!!

Speculation persists that the team might wear an alternative, lime-green jersey during the regular season.

The fluorescent green is part of the team’s official color palette, along with the silver helmets and pants from the team’s inception in 1976.

The Seahawks media guide for the 2009 season also is adorned with the bright green color.

So the green jersey, along with the team’s throwback uniforms—which the Seahawks have not worn since 2001—remains an option this season.

A report surfaced in April that the team would debut green jerseys during the regular season, but that was later chalked up as an April Fools’ Day joke.

Currently, the green alternative jerseys can be purchased at the Seahawks pro shop.

The Seahawks remain tight-lipped on whether they will debut the green jerseys during the regular season, with a team spokesperson stating that the Seahawks have not announced plans for a third jersey, but it remains an option.
-------------------------------------------

I hope they wear the throwbacks instead.

Feb 14, 2004
Ever since the Seahawks selected Deon Butler in the third round of April’s NFL draft, the coaches have been accentuating the attributes that go beyond his speed.

The precise routes. The knack for finding openings in zone coverage. The ability to gain separation against man-to-man coverage. The way he uses his hands, rather than his body, to cradle the ball.

It’s just that one wanted to listen, because when your time of 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash was among the fastest at the scouting combine – and you’re all of 5 feet 10 and 182 pounds – it can be difficult to shake the “speed receiver” stereotype.

But what Butler has shown during training camp and in the team’s first two preseason games, it’s apparent that he is a receiver who is fast, rather than a fast guy trying to play receiver.

Butler’s ability to blur perception was apparent in the Seahawks’ 27-13 victory over the Denver Broncos at Qwest Field on Saturday night. Getting the start at split end because Nate Burleson is out with a tender hamstring, Butler caught but two passes.

Each, however, was noteworthy for different reasons.

The first was a 34-yard touchdown pass from Matt Hasselbeck that capped an eight-play, 70-yard drive to open the game – and flirted with being Joey Galloway-esque, as Butler used a dash of that speed to get behind Denver cornerback Andre Goodson; and then a pinch of some Steve Largent-like concentration to make the catch in the end zone after Goodson had recovered to present a thrashing machine of arms and hands at the point of the catch.

“The rookie went out there and got us going,” fellow receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said. “He bombed a good corner and he got us going.”

Butler, however, was so locked in on the play that he won’t know just how impressive his run-and-catch was until he sees the video on Sunday.

“I had no clue to where (Goodson) was,” Butler said after the game. “I knew he was in press (coverage) at the line of scrimmage. Matt always tells us, ‘Feel free to alter to a go-route with press coverage.’ ”

When Goodson played Butler to the outside, the rookie went inside – and past the defender.

“Because of that, I had no clue where he was when I looked up for the ball,” Butler said. “It was just me tracking the ball.”

Despite Goodson being in position to disrupt the pass, if not knock it away?

“Nah, I had no clue where he was at all, to tell you the truth,” Butler said. “So I didn’t really know if I should jump for the ball or could I just really cradle it and let it come in.

“So I decided to let it cradle. Matt made a good throw, where only I could get to it.”

As good as the pass was, the memory that lingered even longer was the speed Butler used to run it down.

“That’s one of the things that we’re doing right now: We’re trying to learn each other,” Hasselbeck said. “We’ve got new receivers and a new offense.

“One of the things we do know about Deon Butler is that he’s fast. So we gave him an opportunity. He actually had a double coverage, and he just outran it and made a nice catch.”

But coach Jim Mora actually preferred Butler’s other catch – the one where he looked a bit like Bobby Engram as he laid out to snag a pass over the middle. The 13-yard reception came on a crossing route, and on third-and-8.

“I thought an even better play by Deon was the crossing route he caught,” Mora said. “Some times fast guys can’t track the ball as well. Tonight, on the over-the-shoulder touchdown and the crossing route, Deon showed that a fast guy can track the football – that he is a fast guy who can track the football.”

Thanks, coach, but Butler offered a little different description of the play.

“That’s one of those things I need to improve on,” he said.

That’s because when Butler saw Hasselbeck step up in the pocket, he flashed back to his record-setting days at Penn State.

“In college, the QB steps up in the pocket, I started thinking scramble drill,” he said. “So I slowed down and kind of squared my body.”

Instead, the pigskin was coming his way – with some mustard on it.

“If I’d just kept running across, I could have caught it clean,” Butler said. “And a lot of guys told me I could have come out of the back gate clean.”

Translation: There was room for a run after the catch.

“That’s just something I look to improve on, just as far as keeping the play alive and staying with your route,” Butler said.

As the team moves toward its two final preseason games in what is a summer reunion tour of its former AFC West rivals, Butler needs to unleash his speed in the return game.

In the opener, against the Chargers in San Diego last week, Butler’s averages returning two punts (5.5 yards) and a kickoff (6.0) were, well, not even close to average. Against the Broncos, he averaged 18.3 yards on four kickoff returns. Better, but …

“Now,” Mora said, “Deon’s got to learn to return a little bit.”

Or, in the case of this receiver who is fast, a little bit more.

This guy is going to have a good NFL career. Glad the Hawks picked him up.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
I like what I saw from your recievers and even though its only pre season, 16/23 171 2 0 is a good sign for hasselbeck

Feb 14, 2004
I would like his speed to do a little more for him on the KR's, but not seeing that yet. Hopefully he'll get better at KR. He's already a good WR, though.

Feb 14, 2004
Burleson? I'm not sure where he was. Maybe they're saving him for regular season? I didn't really get to watch the game. But it's on NFL Network in less then a half hour, so I'll check it out.

Feb 14, 2004
RENTON, Wash.(AP)—The Seahawks are mum on talk they are on “Edge.” For now, anyway.

A team spokesman said the team would not comment Monday about the subject of Edgerrin James(notes), amid reports the free agent and league’s active leading rusher with 12,121 yards has signed with Seattle. The spokesman said the Seahawks would address the “speculation” on Tuesday, their next practice day heading into their third preseason game on Saturday at Kansas City.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...slug=txseahawksedgerrinjame&prov=st&type=lgns

Feb 14, 2004
Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2009 11:04 PM ET
As expected, the Seattle Seahawks -- who have yet to acknowledge "speculation" regarding the impeding arrival of running back Edgerrin James -- have cleared a path for their hypothetical arrival.

Per a league source, the Seahawks have dumped backup tailback T.J. Duckett.

Duckett was informed of the decision on Monday night.

The move makes Duckett, a first-round pick of the Falcons in the 2002 draft, an unrestricted free agent.

The Seahawks signed Duckett in 2008, at or about the same time they signed Julius Jones and while Shaun Alexander was still under contract.

After four seasons with the Falcons, Duckett was traded to the Redskins in 2006. Following a single season in D.C., he spent one year in Detroit before signing with the Seahawks.

Duckett's best season came way back in 2003, when he rushed for 779 yards and 11 touchdowns while splitting touches in Atlanta with Warrick Dunn.