Seahawks nab Peterson, lose Hutchinson

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 8, 2002
March 20, 2006) -- One of the busiest teams of the offseason struck again when the Seattle Seahawks reached agreement with former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson on a blockbuster seven-year, $54 million deal.

The deal, which the Seahawks and agent Kevin Poston spent today finalizing, includes $18.5 million worth of guarantees, including $10 million this season.

The San Francisco 49ers designated Peterson their franchise player one year ago. Peterson spent six seasons with the team.

Even with Peterson's mega-contract, the Seahawks still had the wherewithal to match the $49 million offer sheet Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson signed with the Vikings, but the Seahawks chose not to match it.

But Seattle might not be done. Still in place is a contingent deal for defensive end John Abraham, whom the Seahawks have the exclusive negotiating rights for from the New York Jets in exchange for Seattle's first-round pick.

Already this offseason, the Seahawks have re-signed NFL MVP running back Shaun Alexander and defensive tackle Rocky Bernard.

But now, the Seahawks are bolstering their defensive line, landing Peterson tonight and former Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Russell Davis over the weekend.

Peterson now is expected to start ahead of D.D. Lewis, and the Seahawks also could use him as a pass-rushing end. But the NFC champion Seahawks have options for the 28-year-old Peterson, whom the Miami Dolphins also pursued until he reached agreement with Seattle.

With Peterson off the market, former Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington now will be the most coveted defensive player available. His decision should come soon.

Apr 25, 2002
Two years ago I would have been steemed, but right now it's whatever. Don't get me wrong, Peterson is a good LB, but his heart doesn't seem to be in the game anymore. He's not the same guy who shut down Tony Gonzalez when they played KC a couple years ago. Injuries have hindered his ability and have played a major part in his decline in performance on the field. He gets hurt often, and when he does he never seems to recover.

Now the Niners have to get AJ Hawk....

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
Im still not completely sold on Hawk, I think we can move Moore to OLB, and still get a decent starter in the draft in the 3-6th rounds

Apr 25, 2002
Hawk is going to be a star in the league homie. He will change gameplans for opposing teams and bury ball carriers left and right. I'm sure they could get a decent starter in the later rounds, but why get a decent player when you can have a for-sure star? The way I see it, you lose a star (Peterson) and gain a star (Hawk).

Apr 25, 2002
And with Mike Nolan being a defensive guy who has worked with a great LB (Ray Lewis) and knows what one will do for your defense, I do believe he won't hesitate in selecting AJ Hawk in April..

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Hawk is going to be a star in the league homie. He will change gameplans for opposing teams and bury ball carriers left and right. I'm sure they could get a decent starter in the later rounds, but why get a decent player when you can have a for-sure star? The way I see it, you lose a star (Peterson) and gain a star (Hawk).
Oh i have no doubt in that, i was just waitng to see his workout stats, did he participate in the combine?

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
my biggest question is, who will he choose to be his agent? u can guarantee if its poston we wont take him, and will think 2x before dealing with rosenhaus

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Good analysis right here!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
And with Mike Nolan being a defensive guy who has worked with a great LB (Ray Lewis) and knows what one will do for your defense, I do believe he won't hesitate in selecting AJ Hawk in April..
I can't agree with this. Mike Nolan runs the 3-4 defense. Ray Lewis is a "middle" linebacker not an "inside" backer. When Mike was in Baltimore he had Lewis taking on offensive linemen because Mike was running the 3-4. Lewis was getting handled by offensive guards. Ray Lewis is a 4-3 "middle" linebacker. He needs two big defensive tackles to "stuff" the middle so he can key on the running back. Lewis likes to run sideline to sideline. Inside backers in the 3-4 can't do that because they take on blocks to free others up.

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
FATAL NYGHTMARE said:
Two years ago I would have been steemed, but right now it's whatever. Don't get me wrong, Peterson is a good LB, but his heart doesn't seem to be in the game anymore. He's not the same guy who shut down Tony Gonzalez when they played KC a couple years ago. Injuries have hindered his ability and have played a major part in his decline in performance on the field. He gets hurt often, and when he does he never seems to recover.

Now the Niners have to get AJ Hawk....
I believe your right now we can get AJ Hawk and have a even better defense probably.

Mar 17, 2006
Tony said:
I can't agree with this. Mike Nolan runs the 3-4 defense. Ray Lewis is a "middle" linebacker not an "inside" backer. When Mike was in Baltimore he had Lewis taking on offensive linemen because Mike was running the 3-4. Lewis was getting handled by offensive guards. Ray Lewis is a 4-3 "middle" linebacker. He needs two big defensive tackles to "stuff" the middle so he can key on the running back. Lewis likes to run sideline to sideline. Inside backers in the 3-4 can't do that because they take on blocks to free others up.
AJ HAWK CAN PLAY ANY LB POSITION HE'S WHAT YOU CALL VERSATILE

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
College does not=NFL....
This is true too. He's with the big boys now. We'll just have to see about Hawk. I am not doubting him but saying he can play any LB position in the NFL is saying a lot.

Dec 22, 2004
I know most Niner fans want Vernon Davis but now I think we have to draft Aj Hawk..I was always holding out hope JP would sign back here but the way this non football people in the front office is especially playing it like moneyball it aint gonna work until the team is sold...BRING EDDIE D BACK FUCK YORK NOLAN PERGE (HOWEVER U SPELL YOUR NAME U BILLY BEANE WANNA BE) this is football all teams get the same cards in baseball Billy does what he has too...

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
exactly, FUCK YORK! Eddie D would be a great change of scenery, im sure the NFL would rather see Eddie than York, but Hawk may not be avail @ 6th, i think if hes off the board, we can make a trade to maybe Denver, and get their 2 1st rounders for our 1st and a 3rd. not abad idea