Seahawks 2009 schedule

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 3, 2005
^seriously. i chopped it up with David Kirtman at my work for awhile on wednesday night. asked him what he thought about all the USC news about mayo and Reggie Bush (since he was the FB in front of him in college) and dude was like "hey, you gotta keep the athletes happy somehow!" lol dude was pretty kool though and said he was happy to be back in seattle after stops in SF and NO last year. asked him what he thought holmgren would do next year since he and his parents lived next to him on MI for so long, said he thought holmgren would be coaching again somewhere next year. probably SF he said if they dont hold on to Singletary. but the interview on KJR was pretty funny i thought. kathys already hating having him around so much with no football and the season aint even started

Feb 14, 2004
i'm glad we got Kirtman back. i don't know if i would have felt good wit having Owen as the only FB. but with the addition of Kirtman and Justin, is real nice! altough we should have kept Weaver. i was impressed with him last season. him doing the shit he was doing as a FB and all.

Feb 14, 2004
The National Football Post reports that Seahawks wide receiver Deion Branch may be available via trade and writer Michael Lombardi suggests a deal for unhappy JetsNew York Jets RB Thomas JonesThomas Jones .

Branch, 30 in July, was limited to eight games last season with leg injuries. He is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery and skipped the team's recent minicamp, according to The Seattle Times.

"If healthy, Branch would give the Jets a veteran receiver capable of helping a rookie quarterback," Lombardi writes. "Both teams might benefit from this trade."

The former Patriot was MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX.

The beat writer for the Tacoma News Tribune shoots down the idea.

Eric Williams writes, "I don't believe Hawks general manager Tim Ruskell is willing to give up on Branch yet, particularly after the way Branch played at the end of last season."

Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin also keeps bouncing on and off the trading block.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/jets/archives/2009/05/wr_branch_on_th.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were working for the Seahawks, I would call the Jets about the availability of running back Thomas Jones.

I know, I know, the Seahawks have the other Jones, Julius, currently handling the running back chores. But when does having Julius Jones on a roster mean you’ll get a consistent and reliable runner? Besides his durability issues, when does he give you a sense of comfort and confidence that he can play the whole season and be productive? Last year, sharing time with Maurice Morris, Jones had almost 700 yards rushing and played in 15 games. It’s clear he needs someone to help him handle the reps and not place the full burden squarely on his shoulders. That other back is not T.J. Duckett. Duckett is a short-yardage runner but lacks quickness to make plays in the middle of the field. He did help the Seahawks convert third and one at an 85-percent rate, finishing third in the NFL. But he’s not the kind of player to supplement Julius.

Trading for Thomas Jones would give the Seahawks another runner to share time with his brother and beef up the running game. The current Jets roster desperately needs a wide receiver to replace the departed Laveranues Coles. The Seahawks — depending on the health of some players and the talent level of the younger wideouts, notably third-round pick Deon Butler — may have an extra wideout. For example, Deion Branch might be expendable after Seattle’s receivers last year failed to make plays, partly because of health and partly because they finished 30th in the NFL in dropped passes. If healthy, Branch would give the Jets a veteran receiver capable of helping a rookie quarterback. Both teams might benefit from this trade.

Have a wonderful weekend. Be sure to check back Sunday for another edition of Sunday at the Post.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/05/diner-morning-news-trade-bait/
--------------------------------------------
i say hell no. Branch is healthy and could be very useful this season. since TJ is probably going to get double teamed alot of times, that'll leave the field open to the likes of Branch. and Carlson, Burleson, and maybe even Deon Butler. i dont like the way that Lombardi thinks.

Feb 14, 2004
Inside Slant

Count receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh(notes) among the growing list of folks who believe the Seattle Seahawks will rebound from a disappointing 4-12 season a year ago and compete for a playoff spot in 2009.

The recent free-agent addition said his new team is going to surprise some league observers come September.

“We’re going to be good,” Houshmandzadeh said, while talking to a Seattle-area radio station. “Real good. (If) everybody stays healthy, oh, man. We’re going to be something special. The talent we have on this team and then coach (Jim) Mora brings everything together just right. Cool dude.

“Not because I just got there, but everything I’ve seen from Jim Mora has showed me that we’re going to be really good just the way he relates to the players.”

Houshmandzadeh went on to say he believes the team has received extra motivation, with no nationally televised games scheduled for the 2009 season. Houshmandzadeh said he doesn’t want national TV stations to put Seattle on late in the year when they realize the Seahawks are a good team.

“I can’t wait to smack some people in the face,” Houshmandzadeh said. “They didn’t put us on TV so when we start running through everybody like a wet paper bag, don’t flex us in late in the season when we’re the best.

“Don’t flex us in, we’ll have our coming-out party in the playoffs.”

So far, Houshmandzadeh has lived up to the expectations placed upon him to be Seattle’s No. 1 receiver when he signed a four-year, $40 million deal with the team. The former Cincinnati Bengal receiver has developed a good, working relationship with veteran quarterback Matt Hasselbeck(notes) as they get ready for the beginning of training camp at the end of July.

“They’re two veterans and they’re both very smart players,” Mora said. “They know the game, and they’ve just got to get a feel for each other. And really that’s what the next couple months are for.

“If they can go into training camp in kind of the mode of, ‘Let’s refine things and hone things,’ that would be perfect for us. And I know T.J. is committed to being here during the offseason, and Matt (Hasselbeck is) always here. So I think that will give them a chance to really work together and continue to jell.”

Feb 14, 2004
To focus on Hasselbeck during a practice is a glimpse into his approach to the game. He’ll turn 34 this season – his 11th in the NFL – but he playfully sprints around between sessions, and obviously has fun at work.

Even before the team came together for stretching in a practice last week, he’d thrown probably 50 passes to receivers, tight ends and backs. Each time, he took a precise drop, planted the back foot, turned and stepped into the throw. Of the 50 or so, in a variety of routes, perhaps one throw was slightly misplaced.

Seriously. The release is so consistent and the spiral so tight, he resembles a baseball pitcher with perfect “command” of all his pitches.

When the Seahawks gathered for their team stretching drills, I saw one contortion that would convince even the most skeptical fan that Hasselbeck is fully recovered.

The players lay face-down on the grass, arms out to the side. They lift their left leg back up into the air and rotate it around to touch the ground on the right side of their body. Then they roll back and do the opposite with the other leg. It looks impossible for any vertebrate mammal other than yoga instructors.

The fact that Hasselbeck executes the stretch without becoming knotted or tearful is testimony to his health.

In one of the earlier practices, he took off running on a play and sprinted well enough to beat a defender to the corner of the end zone. And during one of the team drills the past week, he needed to throw a hard liner through a small window to a receiver racing up the sideline.

So, it looks like he’s got the throws and the mobility as well. And he’s comfortable enough with the physical part that he finds himself able to fully focus on the demands of learning the new scheme.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/1043/story/754596.html
damn, i can't wait for the season to get here already.

Feb 14, 2004
Walter Jones

RENTON -- Unlike baseball's spring training, the average NFL fan invests little emotion or cash in the various mini-camps, optional team activities, training camps and other exercises that fill pro football's offseason.

For good reason - fans have to pay full price for two exhibition games every year, which is the industry's way of keeping up with real estate's sub-prime mortgage scandal. Already overpaying for something of smaller value, fans rightly say, "Wake me when the real parade starts."

Which doesn't mean there aren't newsworthy developments in the exercise yard.

Newsworthy development No. 1 from last week's Seahawks mini-camp: I saw Walter Jones running.

For those who found last season's 4-12 season distasteful, there is but one response: whoo-freakin'-hoo.

While much attention last season was focused on the debilitations of quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and the wide receivers, less-remembered but probably more important was that by the end of 2008, the final game against Arizona featured an offensive line entirely of second- and third-stringers:

Who could forget Kyle Williams, Floyd Womack, Steve Vallos, Mansfield Wrotto and Ray Willis? Oh, you did. And you, and you, and you and ...

The chief casualty was Jones, the formidable all-pro left tackle reduced to ordinariness by a bum left knee. Fans who dared look up from their cranberries to watch the Thanksgiving Day massacre in Dallas saw Jones whipped steadily by Cowboys' star defensive end DeMarcus Ware.

Jones should never have played in that game.

"It was like playing on one leg," he said after he came off the practice field last week. "Against guys like that, it's tough on two legs. At the time, I didn't know it was that bad. Sometimes, you second guess: 'Did I do the right thing?'

"You deal with pain all the time. You don't want to say, 'Aw, I could have played.'"

That 34-9 defeat might have been the Seahawks' worst game of the year, although losing the opener to the New York Giants 44-6 was also a mega-whiff. Hasselbeck was sacked seven times, and Jones' season was over.

On Dec. 11, he had microfracture knee surgery, an arthroscopic procedure in which tiny holes are drilled in the bone to help stimulate the body's production of cartilage, the material that cushions bones in joints.

Six months later, Jones was running - not in practice, but afterward, alone, sprinting, cutting, jogging. The best player in Seahawks history is after it one more time.

At 35, looking at a 13th NFL season, Jones is doing as he did last Thanksgiving - trying instead of giving up.

"Feels good to be back out there doing stuff," he said as sweat poured freely. "Haven't done that since December. I'm just at the beginning.

"The next two months are very critical to what I got to do be ready."

Jones' return is also critical for the Seahawks offense to get off its lips. Partly due to O-line chaos, the Seahawks finished 28th in total offense last season.

Each regular is coming off of surgery or long rehab. Besides Jones, right guard Rob Sims tore a pectoral muscle in the opener, left guard Mike Wahle went down Nov. 16 (shoulder), center Chris Spencer went down Nov. 23 (herniated disk) and right tackle Sean Locklear dislocated a toe Dec. 14.

No one expects Jones to be his old road-grader self, but the Seahawks need another year while Locklear continues being groomed as his replacement for the offense's second most important offensive position behind QB.

Sims, Spencer and Locklear were at full strength at mini-camp; Wahle and Jones sat out. The Seahawks' O-line coach, Mike Solari, expects both back for training camp, and has a hard time imagining a repeat of the '08 cruelties.

"That Dallas game was a tough scenario," he said. "Walt was an unbelievable pro, staying in and competing. A high percentage of men would have come out. That's why he's one of the best of all time. We were hurting along the line, and he willed himself to play. He played to not let his teammates down."

Jones again is game, even if his "Brett Favre moments" seem to grow in frequency.

"I think about (retirement) all the time," he said. "It's going to happen. You talk with your family, you prepare yourself. I have. But I still love the game, love competing."

He can relate to the flip-flopping of Favre, 39, who simply can't say no to a huddle of large, sweaty men.

"You say, 'Why don't he just quit?'" Jones said. "You're used to doing something so long, the day you're not doing it, it's kinda weird. It's the only thing you know. Suddenly, you have to do something different.

"But I tell my wife all the time I look forward to the next chapter."

Hard to imagine that next chapter for Jones would include, say, a suit and tie. He concurs, readily.

"I see myself at home, relaxing," he said, working up a big grin. "I love the game, but I can't wait until that day comes when I don't have to worry about getting up for meetings, not being on a schedule. You're so used to figuring out what you got to do, where you got to be.

"All of a sudden, that's done, and you're at home, doing things you haven't done. I look forward to it."

Before he puts his feet up, there is one more season to put himself out. Unless, of course, next year he decides to protect Favre from stray golf carts at the retirement villa.

http://www.seattlepi.com/thiel/407205_thiel15.html?source=rss
-----------------------------------------------------------

i hope Walter Jones will give the Seahawks a good season this season. i think he deserves at least another play off game. one of the best O-Linemen of all time.

Feb 14, 2004
rofl damn you're hilarious! that was a good one.

get ready to see this kind of final score again!

you, too AZ BOSS!

& all the 49er fans!

Feb 14, 2004
those aren't photoshopped. well at least i don't think they are. i don't even have that program and don't know how to use it. i just typed in "seahawks rams score" at yahoo and so on. you do the same and you'll get the same images. dink!

Feb 14, 2004
That's a nice photoshop job Sav
Burleson’s kickoff return ignites Seahawks in 33-6 win over winless Rams
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20071021026

Hasselbeck leads Seahawks to 4th straight division title with 42-21 romp over Cardinals
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20071209026&prov=ap

Seahawks still rule NFC West, defeat 49ers on the road
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?game_id=29251&displayPage=tab_recap&season=2007&week=REG4

:cheeky: