scanning and changing sizes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
M

mr2productionz

ok...i dont know, this might be a newbie question or whatever, but i need help. i know that when i scan pictures they should be 300 dpi...ok. so when a i scan a 4in. X 6in. photo at 300 dpi...im gonna get a huge ass picture. what i wanna do is crop a the part of the picture i need but keep the 300dpi so when i send it off to the printers it somes out coo. how would i come upon doing this? and if the 300dpi is so huge...how is it supposed to be 4.75 X 4.75 inches? am i making sense?

Apr 25, 2002
www.geocities.com
your screen resolution is 72 dpi or so, the Image size should be what you ultimately want it to print as... so don't crop it down to fit your screen otherwise you'll get a shitty print job....hope that helps clear up some stuff, if not I'll go hash through some books and see if I can re-phrase it to make it clearer

ComputerNerd

Graphic Artist
Apr 25, 2002
u can juss scan it in however big u want, and then use the transform tool to size it down to the size u want !! i don't know if that's right or wrong, but i do it !! lol........are u gettin posters ? cuz u don't have to have ur document 4.75 x 4.75, u can always adjust and size it down when u are ready.

hope this helps........

evan

M

mr2productionz

kinda helps...but heres the thing. im gonna crop cause i dont want the whole picture on the cover..just the center. so i scan at 300dpi. when i cut down...it should still be 300dpi. now..im trying to change the size so i can send it to the printers. if they get a big picture and outta proportion its gonna come out shitty on a 4.75x4.75

M

mr2productionz

no...no posters. not yet. just album covers and cards and the basics.

M

mr2productionz

for example...how do i go upon changing the size of the 209 image in my sig? it would look all distorted.

M

mr2productionz

well thats the thing...lol. im trying to get this started but im already anticipating sizing problems because the pictures are only 4x6 in size. for a cover i need 4.75x4.75 and im trying to figure out how i come upon getting this size and keepin the 300dpi without any of it looking shity. i'll scan a 4x6 right now and show you what im trying to do...

M

mr2productionz

that makes sense...lol. and your occupation is "graphic artist" lol. but yeah. heres the 300dpi. HUGE. how do i crop a part of it and keep 300dpi and get the 4.75x4.75 that i need.

Apr 25, 2002
In Photoshop:

After you crop the part you want, go to Image > Image Size

Leave the Resolution at 300 DPI and change the Document Size(not the Pixel Dimensions) to 4.75x4.75 or whatever size you want.