satellite dish or digital cable

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 19, 2005
wsup folks. i'm debating on which one to get. for those of you who have tried both which one do you prefer, satellite dish or digital cable? honest opinions with any feedback is appreciated.

May 2, 2002
Cable easily.

Dish doesn't have 'On Demand.' Have to sign year-long contracts. No weather interruptions. Less HDTV programming.

Dish (Direct TV) does have cable beat with the NFL ticket. But they're paying a steep price for the contract. And not all of cable's channels are digital, some are still analog.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I've NEVER had a problem with my DirecTV even thru harsh weather...and Tivo kicks the shit outta "On Demand" any day lol

Just my 2 cents....Plus I'm paying LESS for MORE CHANNELS with satellite

Feb 9, 2003
I prefer Dish. As far as I know all Dish channels are digital and that isn't true with Cable. The weather thing does get annoying but truth be told in the 7 years I've had a dish it's only occured 4 times and 3 of those went were resolved in about 10 minutes.

Apr 19, 2005
appreciate your opinions. for satellite you have to pay $5 for each additional tv right? is that the same for you digital cable folks?

May 2, 2002
DJ Mark 7 said:
...and Tivo kicks the shit outta "On Demand" any day lol
Just wondering how you can even compare the two, when they aren't even similar services? Comcast has Tivo/DVR too. Usually, it is snowy areas where satellite can get fucked up.

May 3, 2002
big D said:
Just wondering how you can even compare the two, when they aren't even similar services? Comcast has Tivo/DVR too. Usually, it is snowy areas where satellite can get fucked up.
i think its really a hard choice.. ive had Direct TV for awhile now, and now my girlfriend has comcast cable.

I think Comcast hit it off big with the In Demand shit.. if Direct TV had that they would kill cable. I heard Comcast has more HDTV channels.. but i just recently heard Direct TV is to launch another HDTV Sattlelite into space and they will have something like 200 channels in HDTV!!!

I've had Direct TV for like 7 years now, and i must say mine really fucks up in bad weather.. maybe i need a new dish or something.. but when it starts raining, its pretty much unwatchable except for the local channels.. and im in the East Bay Area.. but we have two dishes and i think the other dish doesnt skip so much.

So its really up to what are you're needs..

[Comcast]
you want IN DEMAND to watch movies whenever u want.. but they charge u like $6 or something per movie.. plus the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, ECT) cost alot.. Works better in bad weather.

[Direct TV]
will be the king of HDTV.. so if ur getting a HDTV set.. i would say get this. its gonna have the most channels out of any provider..

both can get Tivo if you want it..

Dec 22, 2004
man fuck dish and direct a loyal customer for six years get a new hdtv and they wanna charge 500 something bucks for the reciever to pick up the signal plus locals arent available in High Def you have to buy an 100 something dollar antenna for that shit. Called Comcast got that DVR dual tuner HDTv reciever couldnt be happier got the locals and like 15 other channels..IF you have HBO or any of the premium channels the "ON DEMAND" is free only thing I dont like is they dont have BOOMerang no more GI JOe and the kids love Scooby Doo..

Yeah Direct bought some all HDTV cable subscriber cant remember there name but they had all channels in high def...

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
My bad I thought In Demand was the same as Tivo....

Nonetheless I'm glad I went to DirecTV....Like $20 less a month for more....It may not be the same in all areas tho, so best bet is do some research as to price, channel line-up etc...

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
big D said:
Cable easily.

Dish doesn't have 'On Demand.' Have to sign year-long contracts. No weather interruptions. Less HDTV programming.

Dish (Direct TV) does have cable beat with the NFL ticket. But they're paying a steep price for the contract. And not all of cable's channels are digital, some are still analog.

All wrong. Dish is 100% digital. Hardly any weather interruptions anymore because the use of bigger dishes. No contract at all, just a credit check. Cable is mostly analog. Dish now owns Vooms HD channels so they have the most.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
sfc415 said:
appreciate your opinions. for satellite you have to pay $5 for each additional tv right? is that the same for you digital cable folks?

Dish you get 1 receiver free that controls 2 TVs and $5 gets you another that controls 2. So, $5 for 4 TVs. Comcast is usually $5 per tv.