Salary Cap For Baseball?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Salary Cap For Baseball?

• YES

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • NO

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Don't care.. i was picked on by jocks in high school

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Salary cap for football - Steelers win Superbowl

Salary cap for hockey - Penguins win Stanley Cup

No salary cap for baseball - Pirates haven't had a winning season since 1994, baseball is boring as shit, there's no competition, and absolutely no hope of being competitive.

I dunno about your cities, but high school football is more interesting than professional baseball around here. There's more parity.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^hey, u get 2 out of 3, really cant complain...the pirates are bad because...theyre bad.
Fuck a salary cap, the A's were dope in the early 2000's with no money. And there is competition, the Yankees arent a lock for the World Series every year.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Salary cap for football - Steelers win Superbowl

Salary cap for hockey - Penguins win Stanley Cup

No salary cap for baseball - Pirates haven't had a winning season since 1994, baseball is boring as shit, there's no competition, and absolutely no hope of being competitive.

I dunno about your cities, but high school football is more interesting than professional baseball around here. There's more parity.
The Pirates suck because the ownership and GM's have made shitty decisions over-and-over since 1994...A salary cap wont change anything... look at the Marlins, they've won 2 World Series while constantly having the one of the lowest payrolls...

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Let em buy everyone, how often does that work for them? It makes it all the more better when they lose.

and no one can compare football to baseball, football doesnt even have guaranteed contracts

Stealth

May 8, 2002
^^^hey, u get 2 out of 3, really cant complain...the pirates are bad because...theyre bad.
Fuck a salary cap, the A's were dope in the early 2000's with no money. And there is competition, the Yankees arent a lock for the World Series every year.
Hell no...not complaining at all. Just strange that the teams that do well, and the sports that I find interesting, have a salary cap and pretty level competition.

I pretty much hate baseball. I think the reason is that I pretty much expect the Yankees or Red Sox to win every year. You can buy your team. That's not much fun, and not real fair.

I know the Buccos have a bad GM and bad management and front office and all that shit. I won't deny that for a second. I just think if there was a cap, it would be competitive, and I might not think its such a gay sport.

Mar 24, 2006
@dubbc

when they are able to buy any player they want like that all it does is drive up the prices of average players that don't deserve it. meaning teams without the means to go out there and get into a bidding war for the BEST players will never get that player and will be forced to overpay for the average ones.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Thats the teams fault if they overpay. You dont wanna pay that much to Joe Crede? So what, maybe u should be platooning someone at that position instead. Again, look at the A's, they groomed future All-Stars, Cy Young Award Winners, AL MVPs, Gold Glovers, ROY's, plus got multiple division titles, in a matter of what, 8 years? They "bought" who they can, came up with a different scouting system, and their triple A affiliate, the Sacramento Rivercats, are dope as fuck every year.

What's great about baseball is that there are plenty of ways to come up with good teams. Look at the Rays. Don't be mad your team doesn't have Yankees money.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Hell no...not complaining at all. Just strange that the teams that do well, and the sports that I find interesting, have a salary cap and pretty level competition.

I pretty much hate baseball. I think the reason is that I pretty much expect the Yankees or Red Sox to win every year. You can buy your team. That's not much fun, and not real fair.

I know the Buccos have a bad GM and bad management and front office and all that shit. I won't deny that for a second. I just think if there was a cap, it would be competitive, and I might not think its such a gay sport.
If the Pirates wanted to "buy" players they could, maybe not to the extent that the Yankees or Red Sox do, but they could...If they wanted to be somewhat competitive they could of kept Bay, McClouth, Nady, etc...Although, it looks like their changing and trying to build their farm system through the draft and the international free agent market and spending $$$ to do it..

Check this out:

The skinny

The Pittsburgh Pirates play second fiddle to the Steelers in their football-crazed city and have been hammered by horrible attendance. Still, thanks to MLB's revenue sharing system, the Bucs make a fat profit. In January board member and former managing general partner of the Pirates, Kevin McClatchy, sold his few remaining shares to principal owner Bob Nutting. McClatchy, who ran the Pirates during most of its streak of 16 straight losing seasons, also gave up his board post. The Pirates have been notorious cheapskates. But Nutting may change that as last year the franchise broke ground on a $5 million baseball academy in the Dominican Republic and kicked in $2 million towards renovations on its spring training complex in Bradenton, Fla.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/33/baseball-values-09_Pittsburgh-Pirates_339965.html

Mar 24, 2006
Thats the teams fault if they overpay. You dont wanna pay that much to Joe Crede? So what, maybe u should be platooning someone at that position instead. Again, look at the A's, they groomed future All-Stars, Cy Young Award Winners, AL MVPs, Gold Glovers, ROY's, plus got multiple division titles, in a matter of what, 8 years? They "bought" who they can, came up with a different scouting system, and their triple A affiliate, the Sacramento Rivercats, are dope as fuck every year.

What's great about baseball is that there are plenty of ways to come up with good teams. Look at the Rays. Don't be mad your team doesn't have Yankees money.
You got some good points. But....When the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Phillies, Mets, Cubs etc. etc. end up with drafted players that bust they can go out there and outbid anyone for the player they want/need to makeup for that player they missed on. Teams with no money HAVE to rely on the draft, they can't miss out on players like the big boys can...The draft is a crapshoot and every team can't be as lucky as others (Marlins, Rays, Twins and A's). Especially if you are in a small market, that puts you even in a bigger hole compared to other teams due to the fact that they don't have the TV contracts like the other teams do.

Its just not right....Just because a team resides in NY or LA and has a wider fan base to draw money from entitles them to ALWAYS have the better team on the field year n' and year out?

The parity in baseball is all fucked up and it needs to change, its always the same teams year after year competing for the playoffs and once in a while a team that is extremely lucky with their draft picks and farm systems sneak in too. Once the playoffs start its a brand new ball game and anyone can win on any given night. All the big spending teams are basically just buying their way into the playoffs where anything can happen. Small market teams have to hope for a magical season where everything goes their way to get there and thats just not right.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
If the Pirates wanted to "buy" players they could, maybe not to the extent that the Yankees or Red Sox do, but they could...If they wanted to be somewhat competitive they could of kept Bay, McClouth, Nady, etc...Although, it looks like their changing and trying to build their farm system through the draft and the international free agent market and spending $$$ to do it..

Check this out:
I have no doubt that even if the Pirates had a billion dollars, they still wouldn't spend like the Yankees. They told the city that if they helped build a new stadium, they'd make the team competitive. The stadium is beautiful. They have fireworks, concerts, bobbleheads, etc. They spend money on everything except the team. They got rid of Bay, McClouth, Nady, etc. Its nice to see that they're switching their game plan and trying to improve their farm teams, like DubbC said the A's did, but their problems go waaaaaaay beyond a salary cap. They just don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I'm just against a lack of salary caps in general. I get that if you don't have one, and you're a poor team, you can still be competitive. But honestly, you already have a strike against you. Maybe you CAN still do it, but its still an unfair advantage. A lack of a salary cap only HELPS the few rich teams out there. It hurts all the poor teams and forces them to come up with innovative ways to win. It's just unnecessary.

I think if salary caps were a really GOOD thing, the title of this thread would have been "Should football GET RID of its salary cap?"

Mar 24, 2006
I have no doubt that even if the Pirates had a billion dollars, they still wouldn't spend like the Yankees. They told the city that if they helped build a new stadium, they'd make the team competitive. The stadium is beautiful. They have fireworks, concerts, bobbleheads, etc. They spend money on everything except the team. They got rid of Bay, McClouth, Nady, etc. Its nice to see that they're switching their game plan and trying to improve their farm teams, like DubbC said the A's did, but their problems go waaaaaaay beyond a salary cap. They just don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I'm just against a lack of salary caps in general. I get that if you don't have one, and you're a poor team, you can still be competitive. But honestly, you already have a strike against you. Maybe you CAN still do it, but its still an unfair advantage. A lack of a salary cap only HELPS the few rich teams out there. It hurts all the poor teams and forces them to come up with innovative ways to win. It's just unnecessary.

I think if salary caps were a really GOOD thing, the title of this thread would have been "Should football GET RID of its salary cap?"
I know what that feels like when your team doesn't know what the fuck they are doing all to well. Being a Royals fan is fuckin' stressful as hell. Baseball is like no other sport, they damn near play every fucking day of the hot ass summer and when they are consistently horrible it wears on you...lol

By the way..Your Pirates are up 3-2 on my Royals right now and are shooting for the sweep tomorrow...I dont see it happening but who knows right I mean it is a Royals vs. Pirates game after all...lol

Im sure everyone can't wait to catch the highlights of this future World Series matchup later on Baseball Tonight...lol

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
^^^i dont know if the royals have changed ownership, but in the past 20 years they've had one of the shrewest owners in baseball. (makes more money than u think, yet keeps a tiny payroll)

Apr 23, 2009

NAW BRAH, THE PIRATES ARE BORING AS SHIT! LOL I KNOW DBACKS ARE DOING SHITTY RIGHT NOW BUT I STILL REPP TO THE FULLEST!

GO DBACKS!!!!

Sep 25, 2005
i voted yes, due to gay ass yankees and red sox and dodgers buying ever1.
yankees havent won in a long time regardless of the money they have spent.......boston although being a big spender forever have only won 2 world series in the past 90 or so years

just an FYI...the top 5 salaries the past few years have been

yankees, red sox, tigers, angels, mets, cubs...........not sure of the exact order though............dodgers may be in the top 10...........

Feb 12, 2006
Well i'm a big A's fan and yes they were nasty earlier this decade with no payroll. But what happened with no payroll? They had to get rid of all the best pitchers in baseball at the time because they couldn't afford to keep them on. Mulder, Zito, Hudson, and then Haren after that?? Come on now just because the Skankees aren't a lock to win the World Series doesn't mean that shit ain't fair. It seems the A's gotta get rid of all of their young pitchers every time they have a good season or two and they trade for old ass has-been hitters. I thought the point was to try and get to the World Series, not trade all of your good players and prepare to get to next years WS over and over again.