S/PDIF Question?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
Thatz it? Cuz S/PDIF is a single wire. I want the Digital 24-bit, but Do RCA cables actually Carry a 24-bit signal? I though there was sum special Fiber optic cable you had to use

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
its an rca cable BUT it carries TWO signals. hosa makes one and i think monster makes one. when you get one or if you know of someone who has one unscrew it. you will see what im talking about. when you do you can see both wires and how they are connected.

once you connect the your devices make sure your sample rates are locked up. in some cases you may have to press play on your device to get them to lock up.

remember its one wire that carries two signals. left and right.

:h:

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Just make sure you buy a real SPDIF cable.....don't be cheap and get some bullshit.

SPDIF can either be optical (fiber optic) or coaxial (RCA type). Make sure to keep it as short as possible though. Here's what it looks like.......this is by Monster Cable and what I use

Here's the website...... http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=150

Apr 26, 2002
What is a Toslink Cable?
Toslink (EIA-J) fiber optic Digital audio cables carry Digital audio data in the form of light pulses
^Crazy Shit, light pulses, Damn.

Thanks ya'lls. Would you reccomend one over the other, which has the best quality?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
i havent noticed a difference, but the toslink cables seem to be a bit more expensive than the rca spdif. toslink was designed by toshiba. its the format they made up but a lot of gear may have that kind of input/output. how long of a cable do you need? i have a 13 foot and a 3 foot.

:h:

Apr 26, 2002
I shouldn't need more than a couple feet. I'm gonna be swoopin' one of these up in the near future. http://www.artroch.com/products_detail.asp?PRODUCTID=83
What I'm gonna Do is just hook it up to my MOTU 828 S/PDIF.
I might as well get both type of cables. I'll compare the two, and just to have another cable on hand

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
hold on. toslink is the the little square plug isnt it?? its not a brand i dont believe. when i used to have a minidisc recorder i had to hook it up to a soundblaster via toslink. its a little square plug with a red laser beam instead of wire.