Running out of ideas?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2002
The past few months when working on a song, it seems as though I run out of ideas after only having a few tracks. When I used to have the time to make music a lot more, it seemed as though I always had a head full of ideas.

What are some ways that the music makers here personally inspire themselves to be creative?

May 17, 2002
i listen to alot of different music, like i will smoke a fat one and throw in some "dark side of the moon" or "the wall", or ill throw in some "throbbing gristle" or "the swans" also "merzbo" does the trick but you have to have the stomach to listen to that shit cuz it is not for the weak of heart.....but ill usually catch something i like then create a varied version of it and keep tweaking it till i like it, or ill get done listening and just go through all my sounds and just pick something new i havent used and drop a melody with it....

Apr 26, 2002
If you start with Drums First, Do something else, like a Melody First, Or Vice Versa. Most of the time I'll fuck witha new sound every beat, or tweak out my own sounds

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Experimentation is the key for me.

When I make beats.....I usually start with the drums......then from there I'll just start fuckin' with all kinds of sounds & effects until I find somethin' that catches my ear. Then I'll just add on to it.....and if I get stuck on it.....I'll leave it alone and come back to it later.

Beat makers block is a bitch though.....I had it for a while in 2002.

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. D-Sane said:

Beat makers block is a bitch though.....I had it for a while in 2002.
No joke...I been in a slump for 2-3 months now...I just decided to take a break and try to go back and perfect some of my older work that needed to be touched up

Sep 7, 2002
DeviantJR said:
What are some ways that the music makers here personally inspire themselves to be creative?
My technique is, I turn off all of the lights and light some candles up (at night of course). And if I'm not faded, I'll be smokin on a port. For me, candles for some reason frees my mind up. And all kinds of patterns begin developing in my head (not all the time tho)

Soyou might want to try that out some night.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
I like to do the same alot of the time......just turn off all the lights and light some candles (my girl keeps me stocked with the good smelly ones....lol).......and vibe. Then I'll twist up a blunt or load the pipe......make myself a drink (usually some Henny or some E&J) and just get FADED while I make beats. lol......I can't tell you how many times I've passed out on or in front of my desk.....my girl comes in right before she leaves for work in the morning laughing at me....lol.

My favorite beat making experience is when I made the beat for Byrdie's song "Keep It On The Hush"........I was gone off the e-bombs!!! That shit was crazy.......

I also like a good challenge........like my boy said to me 1 time "I wanna hear the "Computer Love" (Zapp & Roger) beat mobbed out." I was like "Huh? A mobbed out version of Computer Love? OK!" So I did it......it's on the IK album.....it's called "I Know Where They Be" We were supposed to do a remix of it with Young Droop too.....but it never happend. I was lookin' forward to that....:(

May 15, 2002
www.psurecords.com
I usually go through some shit and then write about it, if i struggle on writin i know im tryin 2 hard to be an artist. I then go kick it and what happens through out my life i write bout what i see and believe,, try the same you'll do end up with a real product if nothin else.

Apr 25, 2002
DeviantJR said:
Probably the most common inspiration for people who do music is just listening to music they like..... Or listening to whats hot at the moment and telling themselves 'fuck this, I can come tighter than that'.

May 2, 2002
There's a few good ideas here. Thanks

Sickwidit - Sometimes when I do that, I'll listen to the same stuff over and over, and my music starts to come out sounding very similar to their's.

Oct 11, 2002
www.soundclick.com
LOL, for some reason im always beatboxing. coming up with some silly shit. But i would like make some basic sample on fruity loops and fuck with the melody until it sounds kind of decent. Then i'll plug my keyboard into the line in..and first i'll go to the synth part of it and do some type of effect at the last parts so it could fade along the jump start of the beat. Then i'll go to some type of high pitch tones and mess with the pitch bender that makes the tones pitch high and down.. (LOL when i was twelve i figured out how to do ALOT of brotha lynch hung melodies on season of the siccness messen with that). Then i'll kinda mess with the bass till it sound raw.Usually after that i'll catch the opinions from my moms or whoever there with me. LOL may sound dumb from an young nigga like me.. but thas my input..

pz

Apr 25, 2002
i bought a kazoo...and randomly i'll hum with that shit

i've come up with some of the dopest drum patterns ever put down(yall can hear if ya want to) by just humming a melody and the DRUMS will start playin in my head to it

i also come up with dope melodies this way