Royals Gamble future for Shields and Davis

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals gambled their future Sunday night for a chance to win right now.

The Royals acquired former All-Star James Shields and fellow right-hander Wade Davis from Tampa Bay in a six-player deal that sent top prospects Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi along with two other minor leaguers to the Rays. The swap immediately bolsters the Royals' starting rotation and should make them a contender in the relatively weak American League Central.

"We have to start winning games at the major league level, and the way you develop a winning culture is by winning major league games," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said. "It's time for us to start winning at the major league level."

Law: Rays Win While Royals Improve
There is no question the Royals improved their pitching staff, but they paid a premium for a marginal upgrade, Keith Law writes. Blog

• Stats & Info: Royals get nasty

Kansas City, which hasn't had a winning season since 2003, has long had one of the best farm systems in baseball, and slowly the cream has risen to the big league level. But there has remained a dearth of starting pitching that has hampered the Royals' chances for success for years, and Moore wanted to solve that problem this offseason.

He's already re-signed Jeremy Guthrie to a $25 million, three-year deal, and took on former All-Star Ervin Santana and $12 million of his contract from the Angels. But the trade for Shields and Davis is Moore's most aggressive move yet, giving Kansas City the ace it has been lacking since trading away Zack Greinke, along with another piece that could fit in the rotation or the bullpen.

"When you can acquire a pitcher like James Shields and Wade Davis, we have to do it, because that's what we've committed to our team -- we've committed to our organization," Moore said. "It's important that we start winning games."

Along with giving up Myers, widely voted the minor leagues' top player last season, the Royals also traded away Odorizzi, a talented right-hander who would have competed for a spot in the Kansas City rotation this season. Left-hander Mike Montgomery and third baseman Patrick Leonard also are headed to the Rays, while the Royals will receive a player to be named or cash.

"We're constantly working to balance the present and the future, and always trying to thread the needle," Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said. "As an organization we rely more on the contributions of our young players basically than anyone else in baseball, and with this trade we're hoping to replenish our system and add a lot of players we feel can help us sustain this run of success that we've had for the last five years."

A Sterling Shields
James Shields earned the nickname "Big Game James" with the Rays and over the past two years few pitchers have been better.

Total MLB rank
IP 477 2nd
K 448 3rd
CG 14 1st
Shutouts 6 T-1st
ERA 3.15 17th -- ESPN Stats & Information
Shields, who turns 31 this month, has been a stalwart in the Tampa Bay rotation the past seven seasons. He was an All-Star two years ago, when he went 16-12 with a 2.82 ERA and finished third in the American League Cy Young Award voting, and was 15-10 with a 3.52 ERA in 33 starts last season, when he pitched 227 2/3 innings -- his sixth consecutive year of at least 200 innings pitched.

The only other pitchers to log at least 200 innings in six straight seasons are the Jays' Mark Buehrle, San Francisco's Matt Cain, Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia and Tigers ace Justin Verlander.

"If you're going to win consistently in the major leagues, you're going to need a rotation that gives you innings, competes, helps you win," Moore said. "That's what our goal is, to put together a very good rotation. We feel we've done that."

Shields is due to receive $10.5 million this season. He has a club option for $12 million in 2014 with a $1 million buyout.

The Royals suddenly have a glut of starting pitchers with Shields, Santana and Guthrie joined by Bruce Chen and Luis Mendoza, who are expected back from last year. Luke Hochevar is eligible for arbitration, while Danny Duffy and Felipe Paulino will return at some point during the middle of the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Davis also could be thrown into the mix.

End Of An Era
In his time in Tampa Bay, James Shields etched himself into the team's record book as he holds several all-time marks in Rays history.

Record Next Closest
IP 1,454 2/3 834
K 1,250 874
Wins 87 61
CG 19 6 -- ESPN Stats & Information
The right-hander started 64 games for Tampa Bay from 2009-11, but he was shuttled to the bullpen last season when the Rays had an abundance of starters. He flourished as a reliever, going 3-0 with a 2.43 ERA, creating some flexibility for him in Kansas City.

Davis is due to make $2.8 million this season and $4.8 million in 2014, with the Royals holding options on the next three years.

The jewel of the deal for Tampa Bay is undoubtedly Myers, who turned 22 on Monday.

The power-hitting outfielder batted .314 with 37 homers and 109 RBIs in 134 games at Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha, and eventually could help provide some protection in the batting order for Rays star Evan Longoria. Myers showed what he could do during the All-Star Futures Game hosted by Kansas City in July, when he had a pair of hits and drove in three runs at Kauffman Stadium.

He'll finally get a chance to prove it at the major league level at Tropicana Field.

"I think it's very possible that Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi will help us win games in 2013, and Mike Montgomery as well," Friedman said.

Odorizzi will also have an opportunity to make a splash in the big leagues after going 15-5 with a 3.03 ERA for Northwest Arkansas and Omaha. He made two late-season starts for Kansas City, going 0-1 with a 4.91 ERA in 7 1/3 innings.

Montgomery was once considered one of the Royals' top prospects, but his stock has slid considerably the past couple of years. He was just 5-13 with a 6.07 ERA last season, when he was demoted from Omaha to Northwest Arkansas.

Leonard hit .251 with 14 homers and 46 RBIs in 62 games for short-season Burlington.

"It's not easy to give up prospects," Moore said. "It's time for us to start winning at the major league level, and we have to use all our resources. Our farm system is certainly one of them."

This trade pisses me off.......

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
i knew the trade was involving Myers when i saw the headline, and im glad that the Royals got that frontline starter that they wanted but Shields is 31, and is only under team control for two years. the royals gave up not only MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEAR but several good pitching prospects as well. I think they gave up too much.

Props: JLMACN
Mar 24, 2006
We got fleeced. Why did he have to throw in Odorizzi aswell? Myers wasn't enough?

That "Player to be named later" better be someone good. Im really going to be pissed if its just cash.

Props: DubbC415
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
^^^Thats what surprised me. theyre saying Myers could start in center for the Rays...what about the Royals? is Lorenzo Cain still supposed to be a sleeper?
Not even that......we still have Jeff Fucking Francour in right field!

Meyers replacing him could/would have easily made our team better just on offense alone!

Damn this shit pisses me off!

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
at some point they had to shake things up... Shields is a front line starter and Wade Davis is better Odorizzi... just gotta see if Myers Turns into Ryan Braun or Josh Willingham...

Mar 24, 2006
The fact that Shields is only locked in here for 2 years is what pisses me off most. The only way I can feel somewhat good about this trade is if we lock him up for a few more years and the Player to be Named Later we're supposed to get is someone fuckin' excellent.

We gave away the Minor League Player of the Year and a very promising pitching prospect for a 31 year old "rental" and bullpen/starting pitcher.

Just look at the list of former Minor League Player of the Year award winners.

2012 Wil Myers
2011 Mike Trout
2010 Jeremy Hellickson
2009 Jason Heyward
2008 Matt Wieters
2007 Jay Bruce
2006 Alex Gordon
2005 Delmon Young
2004 Jeff Francis
2003 Joe Mauer
2002 Rocco Baldelli
2001 Josh Beckett
2000 Jon Rauch
1999 Rick Ankiel
1998 Eric Chavez
1997 Paul Konerko
1996 Andruw Jones
1995 Andruw Jones
1994 Derek Jeter
1993 Manny Ramirez
1992 Tim Salmon
1991 Derek Bell
1990 Frank Thomas
1989 Sandy Alomar, Jr.
1988 Tom Gordon
1987 Gregg Jefferies
1986 Gregg Jefferies
1985 Jose Canseco
1984 Mike Bielicki
1983 Dwight Gooden
1982 Ron Kittle
1981 Mike Marshall

There's some stinkers in there alright but the ones that hit....HIT.

Props: JLMACN
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
I am a little more calm today than I was the last couple. I got to hear Shields and David speak in their press conference. They are seriously bringing a winning attitude to the team. And it does sound like the Royals may not be done......which is awesome. I don't want Hoch in the rotation again.

Jun 26, 2003
The fact that Shields is only locked in here for 2 years is what pisses me off most. The only way I can feel somewhat good about this trade is if we lock him up for a few more years and the Player to be Named Later we're supposed to get is someone fuckin' excellent.

We gave away the Minor League Player of the Year and a very promising pitching prospect for a 31 year old "rental" and bullpen/starting pitcher.

Just look at the list of former Minor League Player of the Year award winners.

2012 Wil Myers
2011 Mike Trout
2010 Jeremy Hellickson
2009 Jason Heyward
2008 Matt Wieters
2007 Jay Bruce
2006 Alex Gordon
2005 Delmon Young
2004 Jeff Francis
2003 Joe Mauer
2002 Rocco Baldelli
2001 Josh Beckett
2000 Jon Rauch
1999 Rick Ankiel
1998 Eric Chavez
1997 Paul Konerko
1996 Andruw Jones
1995 Andruw Jones
1994 Derek Jeter
1993 Manny Ramirez
1992 Tim Salmon
1991 Derek Bell
1990 Frank Thomas
1989 Sandy Alomar, Jr.
1988 Tom Gordon
1987 Gregg Jefferies
1986 Gregg Jefferies
1985 Jose Canseco
1984 Mike Bielicki
1983 Dwight Gooden
1982 Ron Kittle
1981 Mike Marshall

There's some stinkers in there alright but the ones that hit....HIT.
Gregg Jefferies... I remember him as a Royal.