Room dividers for recording?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Anyone ever used a room divider to isolate their mic and create somewhat of a booth in a small room? I'm wondering if the divider would help with the recording sound quality at all.... if it was made with the right material..

Wold

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
Young D-A-T said:
Anyone ever used a room divider to isolate their mic and create somewhat of a booth in a small room? I'm wondering if the divider would help with the recording sound quality at all.... if it was made with the right material..

I was wondering that too.

May 1, 2003
I was in this studio that had a pretty big booth like for a small orchestra. They had some type of portable wall...like you can get at Ikea or Home depot with thick ass blankets drapped over it. It seemed to cut down on the sound bouncing around more than it had to. But I guess it depends on the immediate area where your mic is also , like left, right above and in front of you.

Apr 25, 2002
Doberman said:
I was in this studio that had a pretty big booth like for a small orchestra. They had some type of portable wall...like you can get at Ikea or Home depot with thick ass blankets drapped over it. It seemed to cut down on the sound bouncing around more than it had to. But I guess it depends on the immediate area where your mic is also , like left, right above and in front of you.

Was the portable wall like a divider that just stands behind the mic or is it a wall that fully covers the mic area like a booth, all angles?

May 1, 2003
Young D-A-T said:
Was the portable wall like a divider that just stands behind the mic or is it a wall that fully covers the mic area like a booth, all angles?

Nope...it was like sometype of regular divider that was positioned behind the mic...off centered at an angle. The front edge of the wall was against the front of the booth but not all the way against it...there was a little gap there. The opposite end of the divider you could walk around to access the rest of the huge booth, and it didn't go all the way up to the cieling(SP?) But keep in mind this was a professional room ...so the entire room was treated anyways. You can use an accordian type divider with thick blankets over it, and go to Guitar Center and buy those foam pads they got for this purpose and strategically place them where you need them. Enough to cut down on the refelection of the sound. At least enough where you don't sound like you did it in the bath room. You could put the divider in the corner of the room to form a triangular shape ...see what I'm sayin? and pad the bare walls that are inside the triangle and the cieling above your head. You still need an acceptable mic.