RON TURNER FIRED

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 4, 2009
Yes!! A fucking dream come true!

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Bears coach Lovie Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo will remain in their respective positions, but other significant changes will be announced today at a 2 p.m. news conference that will be streamed live on ChicagoBears.com.

The moves begin on the offensive side of the ball, where coordinator Ron Turner has been relieved of his duties. Others who won’t return include position coaches Pep Hamilton (quarterbacks), Harry Hiestand (line) and Rob Boras (tight ends), and assistants Luke Butkus and Charles London.

Ron Turner replaced Terry Shea as Bears offensive coordinator in 2005.
The changes come after the Bears went 7-9 and failed to make the playoffs for the third straight season. Since reaching Super Bowl XLI in 2006, Smith has compiled a 23-25 record.

Acquiring Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler in a blockbuster trade in April created euphoria both inside and outside of Halas Hall. But Cutler struggled with interceptions and didn’t get much help from an inconsistent defense and an unproductive running game.

The Bears followed a promising 3-1 start by losing eight of 10 games before closing the season with back-to-back victories over the NFC North champion Vikings and the hapless Lions. In those two contests, Cutler became the first quarterback in Bears history to pass for at least four touchdowns in consecutive games as the offense racked up 73 points, 781 yards and 41 first downs.

But the late surge wasn’t enough to save Turner’s job. In his five seasons in his second stint as Bears offensive coordinator, the offense ranked 29th, 15th, 27th, 26th and 23rd in total yards. Turner’s best year was in 2006 when he helped the Bears reach the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at quarterback. This season a unit that had six new starters ranked 29th rushing and 17th passing.

Smith has compiled a 54-46 record in six seasons as coach. He led the Bears to the NFC North title in 2005 before repeating that accomplishment en route to the Super Bowl the following season.

If Smith is able to guide the Bears back into the playoffs in 2010, he wouldn’t be the first NFL coach to experience a three-year drought between post-season appearances with the same team. Bill Cowher did it Pittsburgh, as did Mike Holmgren in Seattle and Jeff Fisher in Tennessee.

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
No i meant they shud fire their wr's not the wr coach. feel free 2 sign a good wr. they havent had a threat since marcus robinson or curtis conway. lol

Jul 4, 2009
No i meant they shud fire their wr's not the wr coach. feel free 2 sign a good wr. they havent had a threat since marcus robinson or curtis conway. lol
I know what your saying but right now I can see us getting rid of Hester for hopefully a draft pick or for Marshell and a high draft choice. cause honestly the WR core as it is.. It's pretty solid. Bennet as a possesion reciever and Devin Armonwhatever and Knox as threats idk.. I like their young WR core right now but add a verteran WR to the mix and theyll be as good as we can get for right now. Not to mention Marshell played with cutler in denver.