Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields

• Robbie Lawler via KO

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Robbie Lawler via TKO

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Robbie Lawler via Submission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robbie Lawler via Decision

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Jake Shields via KO

• Jake Shields via TKO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jake Shields via Submission

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Jake Shields via Decision

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 7, 2006
Scottrade Center – St. Louis, MO
Saturday, June 6, 2009 – 9:00PM (CST) - prelims at 7:00PM
STRIKEFORCE presents:
Jake Shields vs Robbie Lawler at either 185 or a catch weight of 195

"Ruthless"Robbie Lawler
5'11"
16-4
HIT Squad
Knockout power, Like to wear opponents down, Uses wrestling to keep fights standing
Last 3 wins: Scott Smith, Murilo Rua, Frank Trigg
Last 3 Losses: Jason Miller, Evan Tanner, Nick Diaz

Jake Shields
5' 11"
170lbs
22-4-1
Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt, Good submission, Wrestling base Good grappler
Last 3 wins: Paul Daley, Nick Thompson, Mike Pyle
Last 3 losses: Akira Kikuchi, Ray Cooper, Phillip Miller

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
No idea how this one's gonna go. Shields has some of the worst standup I've ever seen but he's so good on the ground. I'm going with Robbie just because I like him more.

Apr 25, 2002
I think the pace Jake Shields is gonna bring to Robbie Lawler is gonna be too much for him. True Jakes isnt the greatest standing up, but he has one of the sweetest ground n pounds in the welterweight/middleweight division. Id fight Lawler like GSP fought BJ Penn II, keep him on his back, tire out his arms then go for a submission....

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ You dislike Robbie Lawler or just supporting the bay area dude? Robbie Lawler is still good, surprised he hasnt gone back to the UFC

Feb 7, 2006
OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS, JAKE SHIELDS LISTENS

Jake Shields didn’t give much pause in stepping up a weight class to face Robbie Lawler.

“As soon as Showtime called me... I said yeah, right away,” he recently told MMAWeekly Radio. “I didn’t even have to think about it.”

The former EliteXC welterweight champion headlines with former EliteXC middleweight champion Lawler for Strikeforce Saturday night in St. Louis.

His original opponent, welterweight Joe Riggs, spared no expletives in his feelings about the decision, but Shields brushes those aside.

“I think Joe’s just being immature and whining, trying to get some attention,” he said. “Showtime called me and said they wanted me to fight Robbie, it was a bigger fight for me, more money, main event. I’d be stupid not to take it. I wasn’t trying to disrespect Joe Riggs. I just think he’s being immature, but whatever. Maybe if he wins a couple fights, I’ll give him a beating too.”

Shields, and his manager/father Jack, are trying to craft a move to the upper echelons of the sport, where higher paydays and top-tier opponents are the norm. Shields is on most Top 10 lists as a welterweight, but at this point, he won’t be able to establish himself beyond the hardcore fan base as long as he remains outside the UFC.

After the breakup of EliteXC, Shields was adamant about a trip to the Octagon, and had been close to challenging his ProElite contract in court when Strikeforce acquired it. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker wanted to make him happy.

“I’m sure there are some great 170 pounders out there, but I felt at this point I had kind of made myself the top 170 pounder outside of the UFC,” said Shields. “I needed to go for a bigger challenge. I didn’t really see anyone that I felt was a fight that would be that hyped.”

The first gesture of goodwill was Lawler. He wouldn’t be a pay-per-view star, but he’d be on Showtime, and possibly CBS down the road. He decided the glass was half full.

“I figured it definitely wasn’t worth getting caught in a lawsuit, especially since it seemed like they really wanted to work with me,” said Shields. “First, I was really disappointed, because I really was kind of stuck on (moving to the UFC). As long as I keep getting really good opponents here, and getting treated well, I’m happy. I’m taking it one fight at a time and see what happens from that.”

Once he got the fight, he quickly ruled out the idea of matching Lawler’s size.

“I’ve got a really good strength trainer that I’ve been working out with, doing some powerlifting stuff, and I’ve upped my calories, more protein and stuff,” said Shields. “So I’ve put on a little weight. But I’m not really stressing over the weight – I’m just going to go out there and fight. Sitting there trying to gain too much weight might slow me down. So I’ve put five, six pounds on and I’m just going to go out there and fight, and I think I’ll feel well.”

How the size difference will feel inside the cage is a wait-and-see.

“I won’t really know until I lock up with him,” Shields continued. “I think I’ll be at least close to as strong. Lawler looks like a strong middleweight, but I don’t think I’m going to be totally overwhelmed.”

To prepare, Shields has been sparring less with teammates Gilbert Melendez and Nate Diaz, both lightweights, and logging more hours with Nick Diaz and bigger training partners.

“I’ve been bringing in lots of big wrestlers to train with, guys that are around 200 pounds, and I’m guessing Robbie’s somewhere around there, so I’m going to have guys at his weight that I’m fighting with,” he said.

Shields thinks a win over Lawler would make him the number one contender to middleweight belt holder Cung Le. He would also take a fight against former champion Frank Shamrock.

“(Frank) Shamrock just got embarrassed, so I would still fight him (because) he’s a big name, it’s almost one that makes sense after how bad Nick beat him,” said Shields. “Cung Le’s a friend of mine, so that part kind of sucks, but it’s business, so ultimately I think if I beat Lawler that fight makes sense.”

It’s no secret about what’s going to happen on June 6: Lawler will try to take Shields’ head off, and Shields will try to get the fight down. For both, it’s an end to the uncertainty of previous months. Shields wants to make the most of the opportunity.

“I think it’s a fight I can win. Lawler’s a tough, legitimate opponent, but I’m in really good shape right now, and I’m feeling confident about it,” said Shields. “I’m going to go out there and fight my hardest and try to finish him.”

Dec 29, 2008
Im rooting for Shields.

this is gonna be a match of fighting styles

the wrestler/ ju juitsu vs the wrestler/boxer

if jake gets him on the ground it's curtains

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce conference call recap for June 6 event featuring Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields

ROBBIE LAWLER:

Is there any problem with you getting down to 182 pounds?

“I’m going to make it. I don’t want to make it but I’m going to make it. This whole time off I was thinking of getting a little leaner and cutting a little more weight than normal so I think I’ll be fine.”

What is your game plan for Saturday night?

“Well, I definitely don’t want him (Shields) on top of me. He’s got a great top game and he looks to finish, looks to mount and looks to improve position so being on the ground is definitely not a good place to be.”

How do you approach selling a fight? Has your approach changed to it over the years?

“I stay pretty reserved still. I’m pretty laid back. I do it but I typically don’t like to get involved in and definitely don’t like doing it. But I do as much I can to help the fight. It’s good for the sport but I’d rather be out there fighting than being on the phone.”

How do you feel about fighting in your hometown?

“It’s not a big deal. I’m looking at it as another fight.”

Are you looking for a first-round knockout Saturday night?

“However I can get a win.”

JAKE SHIELDS:

What about going down to 182 pounds?

“Well it is nice not having to diet all the time so hopefully I’ll go in there feeling stronger. Dieting and sucking water, all of that can take it out of you. There are positives and disadvantages to it. It’s always nice being the bigger guy but it’s also nice to not have to diet or cut water out. So there are two ways of looking at it. I’ll just have to go out there and see how I feel on Saturday.”

What is you game plan Saturday if he keeps you on your feet and you’re not able to get him to the ground?

“Punch him in the face. That always helps. If he takes me down I just have to punch back.”

How do you assess Robbie’s ground game?

“I think Robbie’s a great wrestler. He’s always been surrounded by good college wrestlers. He’s certainly not going to be easy to take down. His ground game is his weakest aspect but I haven’t been able to see it lately because not a lot of guys have been able to get him down.”

Is this the biggest fight of your career?

“Yeah, I’d say it’s the biggest. I’ve fought a lot overseas but as far as media attention goes and Robbie being top 5 or top 10, it’s a huge fight for me.”

Do you feel like an uncrowned champion and would you prefer to fight for a title in your next fight?

“I do feel a little like an uncrowned champion. For me it’s more the fight that matters than the title. Belts are nice but it’s really just about the fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce: Hard-hitting Robbie Lawler lets fists do talking for bout with Jake Shields

Robbie Lawler isn't flamboyant. He's not outspoken. He's not the kind of guy who will come within a mile of controversy.

His answers are short, to the point and, more often than not, trite and politically correct. You won't find his name in the gossip columns and you won't hear him talking trash about anyone he's going to fight.

There is a lot he doesn't do.

But when the cage is shut and the bell sounds at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis on Saturday, Lawler's actions will speak volumes. He's a powerful striker and one of the world's elite middleweights.

He won't send a crowd into a frenzy by predicting all sorts of doom and peril for his opponent, but he'll throw it into a frenzy by inflicting said doom and peril once the fight begins.

"You know, I'm just a guy who loves to fight," said Lawler, who stopped hard-hitting Scott Smith in his last fight. "Interviews are not my thing. I do what I have to do. It's my job and I do it, but I'd rather be fighting. I'm into training, getting better, testing myself and then going out and trying to win a fight. The PR and all that stuff? It's not really what I want to be doing."

He'll face perhaps the fight of his life on Saturday when he meets Jake Shields, another underappreciated and under-recognized fighter who ranks among the world's top 10 welterweights. The match between Lawler, the former EliteXC middleweight champion, and Shields, EliteXC's welterweight kingpin, will be held at a catchweight of 182 pounds.

The bout pits one of the world's top middleweights against one of its top welterweights, but has gotten somewhat lost in the hype that has surrounded Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson's decision to appear on an upcoming season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

Shields has long sought a marquee opponent to give him visibility and to affirm his status as one of the world's best.

Lawler will provide him with the perfect foil. Lawler is bigger, stronger and more powerful, but Shields is quicker, more technical and has a vast repertoire of submissions.

Shields would love to get the fight to the floor and turn it into a grappling contest, but he's aware of the fact that the fight is being televised nationally by Showtime and of the importance of putting on a good show.

"It's very important to put on entertaining fights because, in this business, you really need to make people want to see you," Shields said. "This isn't the time to grind it out and play it safe and try to get the (decision)."

Shields didn't play it safe when he took the bout. He's comfortable fighting at 170 pounds but will move up 10 pounds to face the larger man with the larger potential payoff.

When Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker initially talked to Shields about a fight, he suggested Joe Riggs as an opponent. But when Strikeforce needed a main-event opponent opposite Lawler, Shields was the perfect choice.

Coker asked and Shields quickly accepted, a move that didn't sit particularly well with Riggs. Riggs trashed Shields on the Internet, but Shields just shrugged.

"I'm taking a bigger fight against a better opponent for more money," Shields said. "And I hadn't even signed (to fight) Riggs. He's just whining and trying to call attention to himself. I would have been a fool to say no to this chance."

Lawler is glad Shields said yes. He'll have a chance to test himself against perhaps his most gifted opponent.

Lawler has come a long way since his days as one of the UFC's hottest young prospects. He's won five of his past six, with a no-contest, and has gotten past quality opponents such as Smith, Frank Trigg and Murilo "Ninja" Rua.

A win over Shields would be significant for Lawler and would be a payoff for the work he's put in on his game. He still believes he's only 60 percent of the way to fulfilling his potential, but wants to see the fruits of his labor in a fight against a quality opponent.

"The fight is the payoff for all the work we do," Lawler said. "I think I'll be better in this fight than I was in my last fight because I've really pushed myself. But I know I have a lot to learn. I need to get better on my standup, my wrestling, my jiu-jitsu, pretty much everything.

"You can never stop learning in this sport. It's constantly evolving and you have to go with it. This will be a great way for me to measure how far I've come, against a guy as good as Jake."