RIV LOCC - FEATURED ARTIST OF THE MONTH [MARCH/APRIL 2012]

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 19, 2008
www.demencha.com
http://soundcloud.com/demencha-magazine/riv-locc-interview-for

Fresh off a performance in Minneapolis alongside street rap boss, The Jacka, Kansas City’s Riv Locc is now our headline story at Demencha.com as our Featured Artist of the Month for March/April. Previous Artist of the Month features on our homepage included, Morri$ of Team Bear Club, Luke Rocha aka Topp Boom and indie rockers, Now Now Sleepyhead. Outside of a few artists we’ve covered in print issues of Demencha and on our website, gangster rap has never really been our MO. But blending that hard, local street music with the rest of what Kansas City’s greater scene has to offer is our primary objective as a media outlet.

I first came to familiarity with Riv Locc after listening to a bunch of his verses off some of Ron Ron’s older material. From there, I got my hands on a few of Riv Locc’s own releases and discovered one of the sharpest rhymers in the city. Riv Locc’s music details your worst nightmares of what Kansas City can be, and focuses on the harsh realities of street life. In this interview conducted from my apartment, Riv talks about what KC rappers he grew up listening to, the connection between 7th Heaven and local musicians, his guest features and respect for Strange Music, and why it’s Bucks Over Fame, but Morals Over Money at the same time.

Depending on if you stand on a certain side of hip hop music in general, Riv Locc and the people he affiliates with might be crushing your concept of what underground hip hop sounds like. Be on the lookout for his “I Keep It Lit” release, which will be out soon, and Minneapolis heads can catch him at Club Aqua here in a couple of weeks.