Rittz - L&T of Johnny Valiant Thoughts

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 27, 2007
finally got my hands on a copy...up to track 11 & cant really come up with a complaint either...pretty much takes the crown for strange album of the year thusfar (imo)...got the big dogs comin next though, this has me even more excited to see what tech&wrek come up with.strange has really found its way...being a fan since the beginning, its great seeing everything come together.

i guess its not cool to post the bonus tracks on here?...if anyone still needs em, lemmeknow

Oct 2, 2006
Hit my pm...

Man I can't quit listening to this album. Originally when I heard switch lanes on youtube before the release I thought it was an ok track, but hearing that in my car on the way to work changed my mind completely. It seems like the more I listen to it the more I like it. The production work on this is great and Rittz seems to be a lot more versatile that I had expected. It's been a long time since I've heard a Strange album that had hooks I could really listen to without wanting to fast forward thru.

Oct 25, 2006
Wastin Time is probably my favorite track on the album right now. All Around The World comes in second. Really proud of Rittz for getting this shit done in such a small window of time, making it dope in the process, and not letting the fans down by delaying or pushing it back.

Last edited:
Props: DubbC415

Rezin

Sicc OG
Feb 28, 2008
This album deserves all the attention it get's and more.

Finally it seems strange is making some definitive progress with other artists.

Aug 30, 2002
Three new releases entered the charts this week, and one album made a bold return to the Top 5.

LL Cool J's first album not sporting the Def Jam Records logo (and 13th overall) debuted this week. Authentic, released on the S-Bro Music Group label, features Trackmasters production, along with appearances from Snoop Lion, Chuck D, as well as Seal, Eddie Van Halen, and Earth, Wind & Fire. Selling approximately 14,000 units, this was LL's first studio album since 2008's Exit 13.

Patience is a virtue for Rittz and R.A. The Rugged Man. Both veteran emcees, one releasing a debut, the other a follow-up album, have paid industry dues. Both having Tech N9ne on their albums (The Life & Times Of Jonny Valiant and Legends Never Die, respectively), the independent emcees both tackled the Top 200 with star-studded, critically-touted LPs released in the last week.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis gained seven spots with The Heist. The independent release may cross the 700,000 threshold in the next week.

People Love Rittz In These Life & Times
Rittz' debut The Life & Times Of Jonny Valiant was among the biggest talking-points of the charts this week. The Yelawolf affiliate now signed with Strange Music debut sold 14,000 first-week units, just shy of LL Cool J's Authentic sales figures. The album features Big K.R.I.T., Tech N9ne, Yelawolf and the radio-embraced single, "Switch Lanes," which features Mike Posner.

The Atlanta, Georgia native garnered significant acclaim for his 2011 mixtape, White Jesus, after years of underground notoriety.

R.A. The Rugged Man Says Hopes Never Die
R.A. The Rugged Man is a 20-plus year veteran, and finally achieved his first Top 200 debut. In the early and late 1990s, respectively, the Long Island, New York native was signed to Jive and Priority Records. At both then-powerhouses, R.A. would record albums never to be released. April 30's Legends Never Die is the veteran's second official release, and his first in over eight years.

The album, which features Tech N9ne, Brother Ali, Vinnie Paz and many others, sold over 3,500 units for Nature Sounds Records, R.A.'s longtime home. The title track is a tribute to R.A.'s late father, while "Definition Of A Rap Flow" pays homage to '90s New York, as "Sam Peckinpah" honors the late The Getaway filmmaker of the same name.

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 5/5/2013
#5. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist - 35,000 (673,000)

#12. Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II - 22,000 (404,000)

#17. Kid Cudi - Indicud - 15,000 (183,000)

#23. LL Cool J - Authentic - 14,000 (14,000)

#25. Rittz - The Life & Times Of Jonny Valiant - 14,000 (14,000)

#37. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city - 10,000 (878,000)

#40. will.i.am - #willpower - 9,300 (39,000)

#47. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated - 8,600 (30,000)

#131. R.A. The Rugged Man - Legends Never Die - 3,500 (3,600)

#157. Ghostface Killah & Adrian Younge - Twelve Reasons To Die - 3,000 (23,000)

* data comes from Nielsen Soundscan, rounded to nearest thousandth for units above 10,000, nearest hundredth for units below 10,000. Each week, HipHopDX presents top albums in Hip Hop/related, and five notables.

HIM

Sicc OG
Sep 27, 2002
Bought the physical copy yesterday. Album is fire, lyrics and beats are extremely on point. I personally think he's better than Yelawolf
I was debating that with myself the other day...I don't know if he is better than Yela, but I do prefer his album over Yela's(had some cuts on it though) and I do prefer his style over Yela's...

Apr 25, 2006
speaking of Yela, for how dope I thought their collab would be on this album, what the fuck is up with his verse? Yela sounds retarded as fuck on "Heaven"

I was wondering the same when I first heard it, cause Im a big yela fan, I was thinkin this shit was weak, but it has grown on me and in my opinion he sounded like that on purpose, kinda of a drunk feel to it, rittz says he wrote his verse on acid, I'd imagine yela tried to get on that level...now that song is one of my favorite on the albums...the beat is sick!

Oct 25, 2006
Other than Pop The Trunk and his verse on WWC, I've never cared for anything that Yela has put out. I'm happy that he put Rittz on and all, but how is Rittz being better than him even a debate? Put up some songs for me to check out and please enlighten me...

Feb 17, 2009
www.twitter.com
I was wondering the same when I first heard it, cause Im a big yela fan, I was thinkin this shit was weak, but it has grown on me and in my opinion he sounded like that on purpose, kinda of a drunk feel to it, rittz says he wrote his verse on acid, I'd imagine yela tried to get on that level...now that song is one of my favorite on the albums...the beat is sick!
Well, seeing as how Rittz says "I wrote this on shrooms" in the very beginning I knew it would be a trippy song. I think this was more of a Catfish Billy persona on this track for Yelawolf but for me it actually kind of ruins the song. Dope ass beat, verse and chorus from Rittz then Yela's verse ends the songs momentum for me. He could have killed that verse and came way better than he did (in my opinion)

Absolutely love the beat selection on this album.

Props: Blaze1
May 7, 2008
Why do i keep seeing complaints by hipster white kids about rittz saying the word"nigga" on one of these songs.. Ive played the shit out of this album and im yet to hear him say it :S

Rezin

Sicc OG
Feb 28, 2008
Other than Pop The Trunk and his verse on WWC, I've never cared for anything that Yela has put out. I'm happy that he put Rittz on and all, but how is Rittz being better than him even a debate? Put up some songs for me to check out and please enlighten me...
(This is from his His new tape)

Idk, I enjoy him but I can see how some might not. He most certainly has lyrical skills though and I don't know how someone could deny that.

Props: INSBDominator
Aug 20, 2006
FLA
I used to hate yelawolf. I listened to Trunk Muzik Returns because I had nothing else to listen to and I'm a pretty big fan now. Every project he's dropped has at least a few bangers on it.

Props: Rezin