RIP HEAVY D

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 22, 2008
www.youtube.com
RIP to a true legend

Rapper Heavy D died today after being rushed to a Los Angeles hospital. He was 44-years-old. His cause of death was not immediately known.

Heavy D, born Dwight Arrington Myers, was one of the most influential rappers of the 1990s. He was the leader of hip-hop trio Heavy D & the Boyz, which gained mainstream fame for the theme song for the TV show “In Living Color.” (The song was first “In Living Color,” Heavy D & the Boyz later recorded a new theme, “Cause That’s the Way You Livin’ When You’re in Living Color.”) Heavy D also rapped on Michael Jackson’s “Jam” and Janet Jackson’s “Alright.”

In recent years, Heavy D focused more on TV and movie appearances. He made a cameo in Eddie Murphy and Ben Stiller’s new film, “Tower Heist.” Heavy D performed at October’s BET Awards, his first live performance in 15 years.

In pop culture, Heavy D is also remembered for his mention in the Notorious B.I.G.’s 1994 hit single “Juicy” — “Salt’n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2011/11/report-rapper-heavy-d-dead-at-44/

Nov 10, 2002
H-TOWN
RIP to the Overweight Lover

He was the first Big Man that could dance and was playa about his style. Definitely a big blow to Hip Hop.

May 2, 2002
Damn! RIP Heavy D

He made good music. I liked him in New Jersey Drive. "This is my groove! Don't fuck wit my groove! Take that shit back up to Avon Street, faggot!'

Dec 25, 2003
Just found out already on the news... WTF!!! He was one of my fav old school rappers from waaayyy back!!! I actually own some of his albums; my alltime fav jam from him was "I got nothin but luv for u baby!!" That hit alone was one of the timeless hip-hop classics & a perfect classic jam to play at a house party!! I thought he was underrated too due to not being played by anyone whenever theyre playin old school stuff at wherever clubs or anywhere I go which kills me alotta ppl my age & older already forgot the past & now playin anything thats out today!! I feel hurt reel bad now smh... RIP to a reel hip-hop legend!! Im very blessed to have his music in my library... He made a bunch of classics......

Jan 6, 2003
RIP heavy D. A true legend.

What pisses me off these days is that I gotta argue with lots of younger heads on why he was a legend. If you check out videos on YT there are several youngsters that comes like "another nobody who becomes famous just because he's dead". What ppl need to realize is that Heavy D was a major influence and a mentor to a lot of the younger cats, like Pete rock and CL Smooth. He got the first hit singles out of Mount Vernon and was heavily into Uptown records and its development. I got a few of his albums. Livin Large was a super b-boy with a party appeal type of LP and big tyme was a smooth player album. And he got a couple of legendary collabos, like the one with biz on Marley Marl's in control vol1 and his appearance on Self Destruction.
I don't feel much of his jiggy 90s stuff like Now that we found love but his album Blue Funk was dope. I found his album Waterbed hev in a bargain bin a couple of years ago and that one was some dope smooth player shit.
I think younger cats need to check their history. Heavy D was always left out of most "best rappers" lists but his first albums, work in the back, influence and personality was invaluable to the development of rap music.

Rest in peace Heavy D. 44 was way too early for you to leave.

Jan 6, 2003
Well, being 300 pounds have never been known as pro-health.... but rappers are human too, they die from the same things as the rest of us: overweight, cancer, smoking related diseases, car crashes etc. not just being gunned down, stabbed or ODing.

Oct 10, 2004
www.siccness.com
RIP heavy D. A true legend.

What pisses me off these days is that I gotta argue with lots of younger heads on why he was a legend. If you check out videos on YT there are several youngsters that comes like "another nobody who becomes famous just because he's dead". What ppl need to realize is that Heavy D was a major influence and a mentor to a lot of the younger cats, like Pete rock and CL Smooth. He got the first hit singles out of Mount Vernon and was heavily into Uptown records and its development. I got a few of his albums. Livin Large was a super b-boy with a party appeal type of LP and big tyme was a smooth player album. And he got a couple of legendary collabos, like the one with biz on Marley Marl's in control vol1 and his appearance on Self Destruction.
I don't feel much of his jiggy 90s stuff like Now that we found love but his album Blue Funk was dope. I found his album Waterbed hev in a bargain bin a couple of years ago and that one was some dope smooth player shit.
I think younger cats need to check their history. Heavy D was always left out of most "best rappers" lists but his first albums, work in the back, influence and personality was invaluable to the development of rap music.

Rest in peace Heavy D. 44 was way too early for you to leave.
i share your pain. its more convenient for these newer fans to just find an artist through the radio then to really look at the roots of hip hop.