Ricky Rubio sues spanish team

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 18, 2002
www.chalkbodyoutline.com
http://www.twincities.com/ci_12721051?nclick_check=1

Latest word is that Minnesota Timberwolves top draft pick Ricky Rubio has filed a lawsuit against his DKV Joventut team in Spain, apparently to alleviate a $6.6 million buyout.

DKU Joventut president Jordi Villacampa, in today's edition of the El Periodico newspaper in Barcelona, said his team won't negotiate about Rubio's future unless the 18-year-old point guard withdraws the lawsuit.

"We will not talk about anything until that occurs," Villacampa said.

Rubio said, "This issue has been taken to the extreme, but it is not as serious as people think. Look, we have to continue to process and talk with Joventut."

Villacampa said his team is willing to wait for a judge's ruling on the suit as to whether Rubio can escape the buyout to play in the NBA next season.

"We have no problem waiting for the resolution" if the suit is not withdrawn, Villacampa said.

As for Rubio, he said of the possibility of remaining in Europe next season, "it would not be much of a step back even though I am prepared to make the jump (to the NBA). I think I'm ready, but if I have to be here another year and gain experience in Europe, all the much better."

Meanwhile, the buyout of Rubio's Spanish contract on Wednesday increases from $6.6 million to $7.99 million, then returns a year from now to $6.6 million, according to the Spanish sports newspaper El Mundo Deportivo.

The contract, which is to terminate when Rubio turns 20 years old, was agreed upon when Rubio was 14

TIMBERWOLVES DYNASTY BOUT TO HIT YALL ON THE HEAD