Rice signs one-day deal to retire with 49ers

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 10, 2005
Rice signs one-day deal to retire with 49ers
Associated Press
Published 1:36 pm PDT Thursday, August 24, 2006

Jerry Rice, who spent 16 years with the 49ers, was all smiles during his one-day return to the team Thursday. The ceremonial move allows the NFL's all-time leading receiver to retire as a 49er.
Sacramento Bee/Jose Luis Villegas

SANTA CLARA - Jerry Rice signed a one-day contract to retire with the 49ers on Thursday, officially ending the receiver's matchless career back where it began.
Rice, who played the first 16 of his 20 NFL seasons with San Francisco, shed no tears during a short signing ceremony at the 49ers’ training complex. The receiver wore his ring from the 49ers’ 1989 Super Bowl championship team on a chain around his neck as he hugged his wife, Jackie, and shook hands with San Francisco owner John York.

“I would like to put the uniform on and run on that football field, but I think it’s time to move on,” Rice said, gesturing toward the practice fields behind him. “I feel welcome here. I feel like this is my home, and this is something I’ll never forget.”

Rice, who will turn 44 in October, hasn’t played since leaving the Broncos’ training camp before last season, holding his first retirement news conference last September in Denver. He spent three seasons in Oakland after leaving the 49ers, then played a final year with the Seattle Seahawks.
But San Francisco fans still remember Rice in his incredible prime, when he made most of his 197 touchdown receptions while playing for several powerhouse teams and three Super Bowl winners. Rice holds NFL records with 1,549 receptions for 22,895 yards, and also holds the top single-season marks of 1,848 yards and 22 touchdowns.

“This is where I got my start,” Rice said. “This is where my legacy is at. This is where my heart got started, and this is where I’m going to end it.”

The 49ers will honor Rice again during a game against the Seahawks on Nov. 19 at Candlestick Park, and his No. 80 is expected to be retired in the near future. Rice joked that he might have waited even longer for this ceremony, but Bill Walsh, his former coach, encouraged him to get going.

“He wants to introduce me into the Hall, and he said he’s going to pass away,” Rice said.

Dec 7, 2005
FUCK THAT HE SHOULD AT LEAST PLAY THE SEASON YEAH HE'S BEEN THRU ALOT WITH THE NINERS BUT HE SHOULD OF RETIRED BACK THEN NOT GO PLAY WITH THE RAIDERS THEN PRACTICALLY BEG TO GET BACK WITH THE NINERS TO RETIRE FUCK THAT

Mar 12, 2005
I GIVE A DAMN IF RANDY MOSS OR MARVIN HARRISON PASS HIM IN EITHER RECEIVING YARD, TOUCHDOWNS WHICH PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN OR RECEPTIONS, JERRY RICE IS THE SHIT, HE WAS THE SHIT, AND WILL FOREVER BE THE SHIT. THANKS JERRY FOR THE MEMORIES, BUT YOUR YEARS WITH THE RAIDERS WERE FAKE HAHA J/P MUCH RESPECT.

Apr 7, 2003
www.deepsleeprecords.com
Bonekrusher408 said:
FUCK THAT HE SHOULD AT LEAST PLAY THE SEASON YEAH HE'S BEEN THRU ALOT WITH THE NINERS BUT HE SHOULD OF RETIRED BACK THEN NOT GO PLAY WITH THE RAIDERS THEN PRACTICALLY BEG TO GET BACK WITH THE NINERS TO RETIRE FUCK THAT
real fuckn talk went 2 da traiderz n got a lose in da super bowl should've retired on top of hiz game

CRBS

Sicc OG
Dec 26, 2003
Bonekrusher408 said:

You obviously have no passion for anything.

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
The NFL is a Business Niners had to let Rice go he would of done more harm than good probably he was getting old, him getting this one day deal signifies him as Loyal Niner thats why he will retire a Niner we dont need him playing out this whole season either like I said before he will do more harm than good, who would of thought a guy from a small ass college Mississippi Valley State would become the best WR of all time, If you telling me 10 years from now you wouldnt sport Rice's Throwback???? You lying to yourself if your a niner fan.

May 17, 2002
www.deebo.com
BIG WOW.RICE IS JUST WASHED UP.HE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE.IM GLAD THE RAIDERS MESSED UP HIS RECORD OF CONSECUTIVE CATCHES HAHAHA OLD GEEZER.290 WHAT WAS THE NUMBER HE GOT STUCK ON?TIM BROWN WAS BETTER EVEN IF THE STATS DONT SHOW IT

Dec 7, 2005
[-KoRp$-]559 said:
The NFL is a Business Niners had to let Rice go he would of done more harm than good probably he was getting old, him getting this one day deal signifies him as Loyal Niner thats why he will retire a Niner we dont need him playing out this whole season either like I said before he will do more harm than good, who would of thought a guy from a small ass college Mississippi Valley State would become the best WR of all time, If you telling me 10 years from now you wouldnt sport Rice's Throwback???? You lying to yourself if your a niner fan.
I NEVER SAID I WOULDNT SPORT HIS JERSEY WHEN HE WAS, KEY WORD WAS, WITH THE NINERS HE WAS THE BEST BUT WHEN HE WAS WITH THE RAIDERS HE WAS FAR FROM THE BEST AND I THINK IF HE AINT GOIN TO PLAY HE SHOULD STILL PRACTICE WITH THE TEAM AND SCHOOL EM DOWN IMPART SOME KNOWLEDGE SO THEY CAN EVOLVE INTO A BETTER TEAM SO WE CAN GET THAT SIXTH SUPER BOWL RING SOONER

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
Bonekrusher408 said:
I NEVER SAID I WOULDNT SPORT HIS JERSEY WHEN HE WAS, KEY WORD WAS, WITH THE NINERS HE WAS THE BEST BUT WHEN HE WAS WITH THE RAIDERS HE WAS FAR FROM THE BEST AND I THINK IF HE AINT GOIN TO PLAY HE SHOULD STILL PRACTICE WITH THE TEAM AND SCHOOL EM DOWN IMPART SOME KNOWLEDGE SO THEY CAN EVOLVE INTO A BETTER TEAM SO WE CAN GET THAT SIXTH SUPER BOWL RING SOONER
Right on thats a good thought see if Rice can teach as well as can play that would be tight, maybe in the future he can be a wide receaver coach see how that goes.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
BIG DEEBO 559 said:
BIG WOW.RICE IS JUST WASHED UP.HE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE.IM GLAD THE RAIDERS MESSED UP HIS RECORD OF CONSECUTIVE CATCHES HAHAHA OLD GEEZER.290 WHAT WAS THE NUMBER HE GOT STUCK ON?TIM BROWN WAS BETTER EVEN IF THE STATS DONT SHOW IT

Brown was better even if the stats don't show it?? WOW, have you made sence latley? There is no fuckin' way you could honestly think Brown was greater than Rice. If you do, you either don't know football or don't understand any of the stats ever recorded.