Review: Skuntdunanna - "The Streetz Iz Enough"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Skuntdunanna - "The Streetz Iz Enough"
Street Level Records
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Review by: Cranky

1. This Is a Test - A little skit about optimal speaker positioning and performance. No Rating

2. Intro - Tight ass beat by Beezie 2K, and Skunt rips the shit out of it with fuckin' sick punchlines. Shit's knockin' like fuck and "That's just the intro".....9/10

3. All I Got featuring Wanz - Super sick funky beat by Sic Cell. Skuntdunanna's delivery and vocal content are superb on this one. Great punchlines once again. Wanz is fuckin' sick on the chorus, just as you'd expect from him. Great track. "Flow like fallopian, tubes, look at you, you blendin' in with the square, straight, narrow dudes".....10/10

4. See What I'm Sayin' - Knockin' ass beat by Mr. D-sane. Great lyrics by Skunt. The hook is kind of boring, but the song overall is tight as fuck. "See you want me to explain my flow? Ok, well imagine if I swallowed two 9's whole, and for some crazy odd reason the triggers blow".......8.5/10

5. I've Been Solo - The beat by Skunt aka Mafia on this track is fuckin' amazing. This is one of the tightest songs on the album. Great punchlines and lyrics. The chorus is sort of taken from Snoop's "What's My Name". I bump this cut a lot. "The closest you came to gettin' some head.....is flippin' a coin".......9.5/10

6. Rap Right Commercial - funny ass skit. I laughed my ass off the first time I heard it. No Rating

7. Skuntdunanna featuring Kevin B - By far my favorite song on the album. This is pure fuckin' classic material. The beat by Mafia, the lyrics, the delivery, and the hook are all sick as fuck. The first time I listened to the album, I ended up puttin' this cut on loop over and over....."Skuntdunannanna"......10/10

8. Soundproof featuring Silver Shadow D - Really not feeling this song. Skunt still spits nice lyrics, but the beat and chorus just aren't my style. The reggae feel to the chorus didn't work very well in my opinion. "Young cats swearin' up and down they hard, you shouldn't be tryin' to claim my hood, just claim your front yard"......5/10

9. Crazy Life Pt. 2 - This is a great song that basically takes you on a journey through Skunt's career, and all his struggles to get where he is. I like the beat by R.C. a lot, and Skunt spits straight real shit. "I wanted to be in the studio, badder than ever, but my chippers is hella short, seems like I can't get along with my cheddar"......9.5/10

10. I Can't Forget featuring Twin-G, A-Train & Kevin B - Not really feelin' the beat by R.C on this cut, and I'm not really feelin' the chorus by Kevin B either. The lyrics throughout by Skunt, Twin-G and A-Train are tight. "How can I forget when all I think about's the Southend, dope fiend parents, wellfare checks, and project housin'"......6/10

11. What Went Wrong? featuring 151 - Tight beat by Mo Betta and tight lyrics by Skunt and 151. I'm not really feelin' the hook on this one. I think it's sampled, but I don't know what it's from. Still a real nice cut. "Now ain't no turnin' back, and I "X"ed you off the track, cuz you're faker than a unicorn, and I can't relate to that".......7/10

12. Strive 4 the Best featuring Laroo & Cozmo - I love the beat by R.C. on this cut. Just a real cool laid back feelin' song. Laroo, Cozmo, and Skunt come tight, although the hook isn't that great. "You know that's nonsense, you couldn't see me if my hands were tied and I was already unconscious"..... 7.5/10

13. It Ain't Hard 2 See featuring Kevin B - The beat by R.C. is alright and Kevin B's singin' is decent. This isn't one of my favorite songs on the album. Skunt spits some decent shit, but the song is mostly singing by Kevin B. "Let's stay together, hang on, my love lasts forever like a song, hit that ass like a bong"......6.5/10

14. My Life Consists of - Skunt drops some shit about what his life's about. He laces some tight lyrics, but the beat by Bean One isn't really my style, and the hook is kind of weak in my opinion. I'm just not really feelin' this song that much. "Why is hiphop such a hassle? They're pickin' me out like raffles, I never claim to be hard, you got me confused with the road I travel"......6.5/10

15. Shake It featuring Byrdie & Keek - This song bangs with a club, chillin' feel to it. D-sane drops a funky beat and Skunt, Byrdie, and Keek drop some tight shit. Byrdie always sounds tight on tracks with this type of feel. Good song. "I said baby I'm hotter than matches and jet fuel"......8.5/10

16. 2 People - I'm feelin' this song. Skunt laces some good lyrics and punchlines over a FUNKY ass beat by D-sane. Skunt flows tight and the singing on the hook is tight. Definitely an original feel to this song, and it came out nicely. "Niggas is actin' like they really livin' it up in the S-E-A, couldn't spell out the word realism, if I printed it out half way".......9/10

17. Rejection Hotline - This skit is pretty funny. I think the Rap Right one was better, but it's still a quality skit for atleast a listen or two. No Rating

18. Tonight - I'm hella feelin' this song. The beat by Mafia and D-Sane is bangin' like fuck. Skunt spits some great lyrics about the night life. Skunt's unorthodox flow is sick on this one. "Like a padlock to a mailbox, you can't see my mail"......8.5/10

19. Shit Yeah - This song is sick as fuck. A darker feel to the flows, and a knockin' beat by Mafia and D-sane. I love how the beat builds up towards the chorus. "Do you hustle? Shit Yeah, put a dollar at the other side of town, watch me get there"......9/10

20. The Streetz Iz Enough featuring Frame - Great song to end the album. Skunt spits tight about strugglin', and how the streets can be too much to handle. Frame comes hella tight. I don't think I had ever heard him before, and he dropped a sick verse. The beat by High Powered Ent. is sick and it fits the mood of the song nicely. "I just might go Loco out here, but it's So Cold out here, killas will put one in your chest, and suckaz steadily runnin' like tears"......9.5/10

Overall this is one of the most original albums I've ever listened to. This album has something for everyone. I think that some of the songs I may not have felt will be someone else's favorite tracks, because in my opinion that's just how Skunt's music is. Some people may not feel his flows at all, but his lyrics and punchlines are unbelievable. I find myself constantly rewinding parts of songs sayin' "He didn't just say that". The beats and song topics are very diverse, which is certainly a good thing especially in these days of bullshit music. I think this is a very solid album, but it's an album and an artist that takes some time to get used to. I would highly recommend coppin' it and soakin' it.......

Overall Rating: 8.2/10

Apr 25, 2002
Mr. D-Sane said:
Thanks for takin' the time to do this Cranky! I was a little surprised at a couple of your thoughts.....but it's all good. Skunt wanted to do something for everybody.....so like you said....1 persons favorite song might be wack to somebody else.
No problem bro. I enjoyed doing it. What thoughts were you surprised at though? I'm not sure what you mean by that........

Sep 12, 2002
Cranky said:
This album has something for everyone. I think that some of the songs I may not have felt will be someone else's favorite tracks, because in my opinion that's just how Skunt's music is......
i definately agree

Cranky said:
I think this is a very solid album, but it's an album and an artist that takes some time to get used to. I would highly recommend coppin' it and soakin' it.......
i share the same opinion also, i think this is one of the main reasons why it took so long for a review on this album

Cranky said:
Anyone else have any thoughts on Skuntdunanna's album???
yes, and i kinda feel like i'm ready to drop some thoughts but i'm gonna hold off a little longer; this album is deep-- i'm always hearin somthin new and i havent completely shaped my opinions yet

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Cranky said:

No problem bro. I enjoyed doing it. What thoughts were you surprised at though? I'm not sure what you mean by that........
I'm surprised you didn't like "What Went Wrong?" more.....to me that's one of the tightest songs on the album. The beat is hot.....the sample is hot....the subject is good and Skunt & 151 came with some real shit. But then again....it has (and I hate to make a reference like this) somewhat of a commercial appeal to it if you ask me. If I remember correctly....the cat that made that beat had DMX or somebody popular like that try to buy it too. I dunno.....it's just a good break from the monotony of West Coast underground music.

"Soundproof" was a surprise too. But then again.....it's got more of a "Hip-Hop" (it's all Hip-Hop to me....but you know what I mean) feel to it. I like the song personally. But I think I have a broader taste for different types of Hip-Hop. Some cats only like certain kinds of shit....and that's cool.

I was also surprised at "I Can't Forget".....that song is tight! You know that's a re-make, right? Anywayz......it's all good....different strokes for different folks.

Jan 17, 2003
STREETLEVELRECORDS.COM
thax!! well iam like a audio gumbo mix sum cats like rice with there gumbo sum dont sum dont want the crab legs a shrimp in there gumbo sum cats do overall iam put every thing in thismix so u can pick out what u dont like...then grub!!!! the next album iz 4 my street thugs my bitches(speicaly them cuzz they mostly by the records)an what ever hoes do niggas will follow>>lol<< then i gots songs 4 hip hoppers dread head backpack cats so i mixx it up but at the same time iam being me!(sum folks find that hard to do now days ..being them selfs

MOSA

Sicc OG
May 18, 2002
I am going to be real...I wasnt sure about this one cause the name thre me off!, but I am really feelin this cd "number 11" I hit replay 3 or 4 times, "rap right" is silly ,"number 10" I feel ya! , "it aint hard to see" , "tonight" is bangin!!!!!!

glad I didnt just pass by this ....This is a CD I'll pay for.

Feb 26, 2003
We'll i didn't really like this album. I just dont feel skunts flow, and his voice, his delivery. Yeah its orginal. But andre3000 of outkast is orginal to, do i need to say more. There were definintly tracks that i liked (see what im saying,skuntdunanna,soundproof). But overal just didnt feel it. I aint hatin, i just dont like it as much as fts,dividenz,sarkastik etc etc.

Just my toughts

Apr 25, 2002
^yeah i felt tha same way about skunt.but he grew on me...you gotta remember his shit is much more different than anything you hear these days.and thats whuts tight about him..includin those savageass punchlines..

but you may never like it, and thats cooh, but your lettin yourself pass up a dope album