Retailers See Dismal January Sales, but Stocks Rally

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 17, 2008
Retailers See Dismal January Sales, but Stocks Rally

Providing further evidence of a slowing U.S. economy and a more cautious consumer, Wal-Mart Stores and other retailers reported the weakest month of retail sales in about five years
Everyone's being hurt right now," said Dana Telsey, chief research officer at Telsey Advisory Group, in an interview on CNBC's "Squawk Box."

"The slowdown of the consumer is occurring, and I think we're going to see this continue, probably into February and March. March comparisons are very tough," she said.

Collectively, same-store sales fell short of expectations. The Thomson Financial Same Store Sales Index was projected to increase 1 percent, but it only inched up 0.3 percent. Excluding Wal-Mart, Thomson's index rose 0.2 percent. Year-earlier growth was 3.9 percent and 5.2 percent, respectively.

Excluding seasonal fluctuations, the sales were the worst since March 2003, when the Thomson Financial index was flat.

Despite the tough environment and the sluggish sales, retail stocks rallied Thursday.

Shares of both JCPenney and gap surged and were among the retail stocks posting the largest percentage gains. These two companies were among those retailers who showed that they were able to manage through the tough times in January and woo consumers with deep discounts. Although sales fell at both stores, the declines weren't as large as analysts were expecting. In addition, JCPenney expects fourth-quarter earnings to be at the high-end of its forecast, while Gap raised its guidance.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/23050232

Good read. (If you are into business) market consumer spending in retail is always slow after the holidays. What do you think.

Dec 8, 2005
the stock market is fucked for the year, recession january effect inflation housing continues to crash, uncertainty over the next president sales will continue to fall, i would invest in some vice stocks (booze, tobaccao, gaming) or mutual funds. if you have tons of cash, then buy anything you want. this is where the best deals will be found, average joe pulls his money cause he is scared, average joe is being pinched by his shitty mortgage, meanwhile richman chuck buys average joes forclosed house and acccumulates shares at the discount. the rich get richer because average joe has been living above his means and now has to pay for it.

Nov 20, 2005
consumer spending is going to be slow becuase people are just cashing in their gift cards taking advantage of those "deep discounts". i know i did at express. lol

anyhow, also you have to take into considerationt that consumer confidence is low becuase of the housing crash that has effected many other things like student loans, and such. lots of who deal with loans (student loans, auto loans, mortgage loans) have lost their jobs over the past few months due to lenders not lending JUST ANYONE money anymore.

its a viscous cycle, the banks are holding on to their reserves, thus not making money available to businesses and people regardless of how low the fed rate has dropped.

i bet you can pinpoint this all back to people who sell loans to people who dont know anything about loans and interest rates in order to get their commissions and the banks that approve them. there were so many fuckin loopholes into getting a loan almost anyone including my dog could buy a house.

man fuck it i just realized im rambling.

~k.

Feb 8, 2006
the stock market is fucked for the year, recession january effect inflation housing continues to crash, uncertainty over the next president sales will continue to fall, i would invest in some vice stocks (booze, tobaccao, gaming) or mutual funds. if you have tons of cash, then buy anything you want. this is where the best deals will be found, average joe pulls his money cause he is scared, average joe is being pinched by his shitty mortgage, meanwhile richman chuck buys average joes forclosed house and acccumulates shares at the discount. the rich get richer because average joe has been living above his means and now has to pay for it.

you can sum it up with greed on both levels, poor buying what they shouldn't buy and rich buying everything they can buy.

Apr 25, 2002
Lester. Lester the molester.

Bullet even asks him when they are at the batting cages if he's a latent homosexual.

Bullet's dad calls him "that fag lester!"

So lester goes and bangs two chicks at the same time instead of watching Bullet's back and 2pac kills his ass.