Reflection on 2010

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 27, 2009
I thought 2010 was supposed to be the year that dago blew, many thought the same thing. with all the great projects that dropped in 2010, i thought for sure dago was gonna shine. I hate to be the apathetic one, but I think dago rap scene is gonna stay stagnant. with the rap politics, gang politics, and division amongst sd rappers, I dont see the rap scene going anywhere.

i havent been to every city, but i been to a quite a few, and I feel that SD has some heavy hitters in this rap game, we just in an unfortunate situation.

since this is a rap site, i got questions for you rap-fiends

who did you lose respect for in the sd rap scene

who did you gain respect for in the sd rap scene

and what do you think are the biggest challenges for the sd rap scene

I lost respect for jayo felony. once my favorite rapper, now im disgusted that he does not think of his fans and drop an album. a true rapper would keep dishin shit out, no matter what circumstance they are in, like Nipsey.

I gained respect for Black Mikey. Dude is a monster and he dont do all the politics(from what I have spectated). I think he is the most consisten spitter in sd. Although I do not see him blowin up because the rest of america dont speak the same language as real brothas do, I support Black 100%.

I think the biggest problem in the sd rap scene is pride. pride is the reason jayo is going through a midlife crisis and cant get a label, pride is the reason mitch will not do a song with someone from skyline, pride is the reason why people is on cricets head, pride is the reason why don diego is locked up, pride is the reason why many artist do not get the exposure they need because the big sd rappers has their head up their ass and keep the city divided. Humility is the reason why houston is a hot spot for rappers, brothas support brothas out there.

voice what you feel, I am really interested in hearing what yall think. about the past and present rappers, and the condition and future of the city rap scene.

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
beside there not being any real record stores left in the city to buy albums
of the the artist i see the dago rap scene bigger than its ever been. their are
more shows, the music as a whole is better and alot of the rappers that had beef
are often seen in the same venues having a toast of yak or some shit. there is now
what i like to call a older and younger generation and they both doing quality music
aswell as videos i even see a few kats getting booked out of town besides the SD norm
so to answer your question i see much much progress!!

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Personally I'd like to buy more SD albums, but most of them aren't even on Amazon...It's not easy for a fan from overseas to buy some of those SD albums...

Apr 25, 2002
Houston
Personally I'd like to buy more SD albums, but most of them aren't even on Amazon...It's not easy for a fan from overseas to buy some of those SD albums...
Same here. Unfortunately, I'm not living in the city so I can't head over to Fam Bam or wherever the CDs are sold to pick them up. I have to hope that Siccness, Rap Or Die, CDBaby, Rapbay, or even the artists/record labels site is selling the CD. Otherwise, I am not getting to hear the music.

One example is Cuzzin Ice- C. World. That was not sold online anywhere.

Dec 9, 2008
I think musically, on all fronts and genres SD crushed it in 2010...there was great albums locally and nationally available put out by SD artist.

but retail wise, the entire industry is on a sharp decline, so blowing up is not really a reality anymore and if it is possible will come at the hands and work ethic of the artist themselves, I see it like this, don't focus on SD too much.... you will always get more love from other places, because you are different from what they are used to.

if you truely want to make music a profession, it comes down to what the people want, and not really how you want to do it....this is speaking basically on the level of success you seek.

alot of MC's have that, I am just gonna do me and fuck what people think, which is honorable in it's own right, but if you write-off trying to market to the consumer, then who are you making music for????? generally the answer to that ends up being yourself and your closest peers....and that will get you respect in your circle, but then there is also about 50 other circles doing the same things...so we get seperated into various factions, and then we project out disdain of not getting the recognition we believe we deserve towards one another and then we just end up worrying about "who is doing better than who".

so I agree with Classic on the pride tip, if your too proud to adjust to the market or otherwise, your probably not going to get far...

so it depends on what your trying to do, I have said in numerous interviews that I would probably not sign a major deal, which is funny cause for some reason the local press finds that appealing, and that has become a staple of what my music stands for...and has gotten me substantial oppurtunities, almost as if people are tempting me to go for it.

my man Exile (google his resume) recently told me that if you want to be succesful in music, you need to capture peoples hearts, not impress them...

also, LIVE SHOWS......most of us just jump on the stage and "DO OUR THING", we need to cut that shit out.....Hip Hop is entertainment, there should be more thought out shows and performances rather than just grabbing the mic and spitting.

I could go on forever about what I think it takes, but I am in the same boat as most, and I stay there for a reason, cause I don't see the longevity of seeking a career in music these days, nor do i think it is that lucrative, but that is just the taste I get from the industry....I will keep creating music, pridefully....for me and my peers..hahaha...

Apr 27, 2009
2011 YEAR OF WEST COAST

I got a feelin.

dre shit gone drop, snoop might do somethin, YG, mann, suga free, nipsey is gonna blow up, game said he workin on somethin, and all the heavy hitters from Daygo to the Bay tired of waitin & bout to do it big.

im callin it

Apr 27, 2009
what do yall think west coast?

1.notice how there aint been no more dance videos showin up on tv and the radio.

2.notice how a lot of real brothas is gettin shine (wiz, nipsey, mitchy, etc.)

3. notice how them weak dudes is gettin phased out (soulja boy, all those random atl dudes, the whole rockstar movement)

and anything else im pretty shure yall noticed. but is hip hop comin back alive?

Jun 26, 2008
How are San Diego rappers gonna blowup if they aint really doing shit, at least not on a professional rap level. Sorry if i missed it but what really dropped in 2010 and hows 2011 gonna be any different. I copped Mitchys and Betas albums, both were cool, but 1 mixtape in a year aint really cuttin it. Seen a couple sows, small turnouts. I am sure a couple other albums dropped this year but hows anyone gonna know unless they find out on the siccness or the streets of southeast. I see Mitchy on the verge of blowing up and cant wait, but as far as everyone else, there is a lot of talent, however they aint hustlin like others...dudes need to be consistant...look to the left and right of the screen E40 got two more albums and probably another two before the year ends. I just wish that we as San Diego would step it up a notch (more shows, music, and most of all promotion) and be recognized on a national level as the talent sure is there.