Recording Tips

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 28, 2005
Anyone have any good recording tips to making it sound better? the main reason i made this thread was what is the best distance to be from the mic to get the best sound?

Apr 25, 2002
Depends on the mic, depends on the sound you're trying to get, depends on the quality of the compressor, depends on the compression settings, depends on the voice of the person you're trying to record, and I think you get the point.

Tips to get a good recording: GOOD cables, GOOD mics, GOOD pre-amps, GOOD recording environment (meaning booth, room, etc), GOOD audio recording device. Don't record with effects (can't believe people actually do this). Don't allow any clipping, and don't be scared to use compression.

Your questions are very general and so are the answers to them. To get GOOD answers, you've got to tweak things according to your environment & setup.

Nov 10, 2004
One thing I learned is that getting so close that your mouth is pushing on your pop filter can make you sound muffled, it picks up too much bass in your voice, what I like to do, and you can try it, turn up your Preamp as loud as you can before your shit clips at your loudest point in the performance, and stand back with about 2 feet betwee you and the pop filter. To me it sounds more clear and less drowned by bass. I agree with Sick Wid It too, use compression, I like to have my compressor set to -3db and normalize after the recording is made. Some folks may differ on that tho.

Nov 10, 2004
Which brings me to my next point.... What DO you guys like to have your compressor set to when you record vocals? Threshold, Slope, and such?

Feb 20, 2003
Sick Wid It said:
Don't allow any clipping

Yes.. The most valuable thing I've ever learned when it comes to audio recording: Don't rec it too hot. There's no reason to go even close to 0dBfs... I think -20dBfs to -15dBfs avarage level is enough @24bit..

Keep your track levels low also when you're mixing so master channel won't clip at any point.

Here's a link to a good conversation over this issue: http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=31385&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=da4640f9f2eaebb09edbd41c50c97e71

Apr 25, 2002
Big E said:
One thing I learned is that getting so close that your mouth is pushing on your pop filter can make you sound muffled, it picks up too much bass in your voice, what I like to do, and you can try it, turn up your Preamp as loud as you can before your shit clips at your loudest point in the performance, and stand back with about 2 feet betwee you and the pop filter.
If there's too much bass in the vocal, roll it off with an EQ. Also, maxing your preamp is a bad idea and especially worse if it's anything less than a high-quality unit. You'll just introduce noise, have more signal processing then actual vocals, and have to set the compression too loose to even record it. Bad, bad, bad. Generally you want the vocalist to be up to 6" from the mic. It just depends on what sounds best in that environment. But 2 feet away? No way man.

Nov 10, 2004
Ok, hear me out. I have an MXL 990 mic, behringer ub802 mixer, and an ART Tube PAC preamp/compressor, what should the gain, threshold, and output knobs be set too? Should I have the Speed button set to auto, or fast? Should I set Phase to Normal or Inverted? I have always done like I mentioned above but If you guys think I'm wrong, I'd be more than happy to try it another way, any suggestions?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
what should the gain, threshold, and output knobs be set too?
These should be set according to what you are recording and compressing.

Should I have the Speed button set to auto, or fast?
I don't know what "SPEED" is on your unit. Is this an opto function or something to do with hard or soft knee? Is it release time?

Should I set Phase to Normal or Inverted?
depends on what you're recording or if anything is out of phase. 9 times out of 10 you will leave this as normal but invert if things go haywire.

Nov 10, 2004
HERESY said:
These should be set according to what you are recording and compressing.

I'm Recording strictly vocals with the mic.

I don't know what "SPEED" is on your unit. Is this an opto function or something to do with hard or soft knee? Is it release time?

Here is a pic of my preamp so you can see what the speed is, its located between threshold and output.

depends on what you're recording or if anything is out of phase. 9 times out of 10 you will leave this as normal but invert if things go haywire.
How do you know if it's out of phase?

Jan 2, 2007
Out of phase is the button in its Normal position.Your gain should be hitting the yellow lights(warm -3)and every so often maybe the the red but just slightly.I would say push the +20db button in,threshold 0 to -3 but your gonna have to mess with it,slope-depending on what your doing,I would say leave on compress and speed keep on auto.Bottom line is you just have to find what works best by trial and error.

Nov 10, 2004
cool thanks, so what you set the speed time and threshold to for vocals? What does the output mean and what should I set it to?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
so what you set the speed time and threshold to for vocals?
These are set according to taste and what you want to accomplish. There is no perfect setting or anything I can even suggest without hearing the vocals and how they were recorded.

What does the output mean and what should I set it to?
On your unit the output can mean the makeup gain, and these should be set according to the source material and what you wish to accomplish.

http://members.aol.com/uniquenyc/key10.htm

Nov 7, 2006
Everyone is different to record but the best advice is to learn what everything is and how to use it.Like Compression,EQ,Reverb & Gates ETC also sends are very important to not over effect the signal but make it polished and natural.

Nov 10, 2004
ok I record rap music, do yall have any suggestions on that type of vocal recording. I've been having problem getting the vocals to sound the same level as the beat. I either get it too loud or too soft, the reverb is sometimes either overdone or underdone, what settings would yall use with the preamp, I use the waves gold bundle for mastering. I tend to use the trueverb plugin that comes with waves. Any suggestions? I wanna get it to sound like it hella up front and in your ear, but I don't want to over do it either. which is what I've been having prob with it, to you guys ever use flanger for vocals?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
ok I record rap music, do yall have any suggestions on that type of vocal recording.
No. Every vocalist is different. What may work for vocalist #1 may not work for vocalist #2-#900.

I've been having problem getting the vocals to sound the same level as the beat.
? I don't understand what you mean.

I either get it too loud or too soft
For starters, turn some other instruments down.

the reverb is sometimes either overdone or underdone
and when it is overdone it will make the vocal sound low. You should concentrate on getting an even vocal sound BEFORE applying reverb.

what settings would yall use with the preamp
How many times do we have to say it is based on the source material?

I use the waves gold bundle for mastering.
I don't mean to be rude here, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but how can you possibly speak of mastering when you don't even know the basics of compression? I have some pdf files/ebooks that can help you out, but I think you should learn the basics before you talk about mastering.

I tend to use the trueverb plugin that comes with waves. Any suggestions?
no.

I wanna get it to sound like it hella up front and in your ear, but I don't want to over do it either.
reverb won't accomplish this. proper compression/limiting and eq will.

to you guys ever use flanger for vocals?
yes if the song calls for it.