Rare photos of Charles Barkley

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
This took a long time to post

Charles Barkley, who led the SEC in rebounding each season he was at Auburn, takes a break for some pizza.

During Barkley's three years at Auburn, he averaged 15 points, 9.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.7 blocks per game. The school retired Barkley's No. 34 jersey in 2001.

Barkley was taken with the fifth pick in the 1984 draft by Philadelphia, joining a veteran team that had won the NBA title the year before.

Barkley's gregarious personality quickly made him a fan favorite. In this photo, the Alabama native takes in a movie at a Philadelphia movie theater.

Barkley and his mother, Charcey Glenn, enjoy some down time at Barkley's Philadelphia home.

Barkley, who famously battled weight issues throughout his career, likes what he sees in the mirror.

Barkley briefly teamed up with World B. Free in the 1987 season, bringing together two of the NBA's most outspoken personalities.

Timothy Busfield (left) and Ken Olin (right), of the hit TV show "Thirtysomething," act out a fantasy scene with Barkley and Mike Giminski before a Clippers-Sixers game in Los Angeles.

During the 1988-89 season, Barkley averaged 26 points and 12.5 rebounds per game.

Barkley takes a second to smile for the camera during a game against the Lakers in Los Angeles.

Barkley stares down 7-foot-7 Manute Bol during a game against the Warriors. The two would later become teammates in Philadelphia.

Barkley "interviews" his teammate Danny Ainge and Ainge's former Celtic teammates Kevin McHale and Robert Parish at the Boston Garden

Barkley "confers" with an official during a game against Denver.

Barkley makes a cameo in the Billy Crystal movie, "Forget Paris."

After five seasons in Phoenix, Barkley was traded to Houston. Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, Allen Iverson became the Sixers next great star.

Barkley was hampered by injuries in Houston, missing 145 games in four seasons before retiring in 2000.

Leroy Neiman presents Barkley with a painting during his retirement ceremony on March 30, 2001, at the First Union Center in Philadelphia

Barkley may be smarter than Martha Stewart, but he has a ways to go before he can match Jeff Probst. The three competed in Celebrity Jeopardy.

Tiger Woods interviews Barkley in Kauai, Hawaii. Despite Barkley's attempts to learn how to properly swing a golf club, the two are close friends.

A locked and chained Barkley made headlines for this 2002 SI photo shoot.

Auburn alum Barkley watches the Tigers take on Tennessee at Neyland Stadium.

Barkley poses with fellow Hall of Fame inductees Joe Dumars and Dominique Wilkins prior to the 2006 induction ceremony.

SI swimsuit model Carolyn Murphy compares hand sizes with Barkley on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Barkley kisses referee Dick Bavetta after they competed in a full-court race in the Bavetta/Barkley Challenge during NBA All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas.

Barkley and his famously ugly golf shot at the Ford Wayne Gretzky Classic in Clarksburg, Ontario, Canada.

May 8, 2002
My favorite player of all time. I met him in 1996 before a Kings game at Arco. I thought he was going to be a giant. Turns out he was barely taller then me and I'm 6'3. To think he led the NBA in rebounding at that height is crazy. Not to mention the 25 he dropped on you every night.